Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeezebox Radio power socket

Hi,

My daughter's Squeezebox Radio has developed an issue, whereby it reboots whenever she tries to use the front panel controls. After a bit of investigation, it seems that the actual problem is that the power socket has become 'loose'. If I wiggle the power plug in the back of the Radio then I can cause it to restart.

What's involved in dismantling the Radio to try and replace or repair the power socket?

Also, I have a Boom with a remote control, and a SB2 with a remote. Will either of these remotes work with the Radio? If I can remove the need for her to actually touch it, it may well continue to work satisfactorily.

Thanks

Andy

All Squeezebox IR remotes will operate any Squeezebox, so either your Boom IR, or SB2 IR remotes can be used with the Radio.

Can't help with dismantling the Radio.
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - RPi 2/Max2Play > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - Radio
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3

Thanks for that, it may well provide a workable solution assuming I can get it to stay powered reliably when nobody is touching it!

Andy

The OEM power socket is junk. It cannot be repaired and must be replaced if you want a reliable connection. It is a size "M" coaxial power jack. Radio shack part # 274-1563 will work. There are probably other connector suppliers like Switchcraft that also make the part. The jack's port dimensions are 5.5mm OD x 2.1mm ID. The Radio Shack part requires the mounting hole be enlarged to 7/16". There is room to do this, but just barely. After the hole is enlarged, the mounting ears on the backside of the panel for the original jack must be cut away. This can be done with a Dremel tool, but is tedious and time consuming. It might be easier to simpley melt and push them aside with a soldering iron tip. This is necessary to allow the new jack's mounting nut room to be screwed down to the back side of the panel. The original jumper cable from the jack to the circuit board is reused by simply removing it from the OEM jack and soldering it to the new jack's connector pins( red to center pin). Do this before mounting the new jack permanently as there is very little room to work once the jack is in place.

To dismantle the radio: Pry off the speaker grill with a putty knife; it is held in place by 4 friction plugs at the corners. Remove the two silver screws now exposed in the left edge of the front panel. Use the putty knife to carefully slide the front panel to the left about 1/4" It might require a lot of force to move the board over, but it will move. This will release the right side of the front panel from it's retaining ears and the panel/circuit board can now be pulled out of the cabinet to the limit of the two cables connected to the board. Unplug the cables at the circuit board and set the panel aside on a padded surface. One of the cables is the 2/c power cable from the power jack at the back of the radio. Replace the jack and reverse the procedure to reassemble the radio.

WOB

Thanks for that WOB. Sounds a lot more fiddly than I was hoping.

Seems to be working relatively reliably now that she has a remote and hence doesn't need to physically touch the Radio any more.

Andy

squeezebox c rh62, power supply

Hello
    @WOB
    re:squeezebox c rh62
    I hope you do not mind me asking a question re power supply in this thread.
    My power supply for the unit has been "shaky" for years and seems to have died now. Would I look for the power supply as you described above?

I need to get the right thing first time as I'm living downunder(NZ).

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adhawkins View Post
    Thanks for that WOB. Sounds a lot more fiddly than I was hoping.

Seems to be working relatively reliably now that she has a remote and hence doesn't need to physically touch the Radio any more.

Andy

I know this is a very old post, but no need to do all of the modification to get one to work. Digikey has the exact part. It is simple to take the Radio apart and if you can do some simple soldering it is a fairly easy job.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...10A-ND/1644501

Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999 View Post
    I know this is a very old post, but no need to do all of the modification to get one to work. Digikey has the exact part. It is simple to take the Radio apart and if you can do some simple soldering it is a fairly easy job.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...10A-ND/1644501
    Thanks for that. Shame the part itself is about $2, and it's going to cost $15 or something to ship to the UK!

Any UK suppliers?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by adhawkins View Post
    Thanks for that. Shame the part itself is about $2, and it's going to cost $15 or something to ship to the UK!

Any UK suppliers?

Andy
    digikey have a UK office - ú12 shipping wirthin UK for order under ú33 !!

Radiospares ( possibly http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dc-power-sockets/0448370/ ) or Farnell Element14 often have better delivery options.
    Last edited by bpa; 2017-10-06 at 08:49.

Maybe it was ú12 rather than $12. Still a bit steep for a ú2 part!

Andy