Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I think we may be confusing the OP.

It boils down to as you say, If wifi works thats the way to go, leave the cables alone.
    If Wifi dosent work or is not reliable go Powerline.
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezePlayer,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: 7.9.0 - 1475786002 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud
    Remotes: iPeng8/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite
    Music: 383GB,1269 albums 17756 songs 4381 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    I think we may be confusing the OP.

It boils down to as you say, If wifi works thats the way to go, leave the cables alone.
    If Wifi dosent work or is not reliable go Powerline.
    Agreed
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No offense meant daleyb!, but daleyb is a newbie when it comes to networks and network streaming. We met with back and forth discussions on the dbpoweramp forum discussing issues on ripping CDs and converting. I was trying to keep him from being sucked into the world of overpriced networked streamers that use DLNA (e.g., NAIM and LINN) that would do way less than a squeezbox setup for a LOT more money. As some point in our discussion, I suggested coming over here and learning more about how to setup LMS on his main computer and stream to something next to his computer. I suggested a TOUCH as easy, given that his computer knowledge was not yet up to a Pi running squeezelite, etc.

Hopefully we can talk him through his required setup to get his music playing from his computer upstairs (which he can run LMS on) to his stereo downstairs. He's interested in a phone/tablet app to control all this as well. anyhow, time for him to chime in with more info on this "connection" in the music room.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win8(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Hopefully we can talk him through his required setup to get his music playing from his computer upstairs (which he can run LMS on) to his stereo downstairs. He's interested in a phone/tablet app to control all this as well. anyhow, time for him to chime in with more info on this "connection" in the music room.

If he's within a reasonable distance I'll send the boys round to sort him out

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    If he's within a reasonable distance I'll send the boys round to sort him out
    Your welcome to send the Boys round (Iam based In Leicester )So any help always welcome.!!!

Just a Few points to clarify....My Computers/router Downstairs, My main Hifis upstairs.So I just need a nice simple (but stable) way of Getting the flac files from my Computer up to the Touch (when I get one).

My House is NOT small (its not a mansion either) But it is Detached.So no Cardboard walls here.. hi Garym (so we meet again..) think you may be getting me mixed up with some one else...My Wifi here is really good (even without boosting via TP link.) If I cannot use my telephone Line ADSL / FILTER box-like the one downstairs that splits to phone & modem -upstairs, then Cant I just use a Tplink plu socket using ethernet to hard wire my S.B.T..? ( I dont like the idea of just using wifi alone (I dont know how good S.B.T are at wifi -but Surely Nothing beats a Hard wired connection...)

Got LMS running on Computer-No probs scanned in tunes-but cannot make them play. (Iam running Foobar-so not that bothered-but is there no way I can get LMS TO PLAY without having a Squeeze player..??

Keep it Simple folks (Its not called a Beginners thread for nowt!)...But Many thanks all for Helping a S.B.T. virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Your welcome to send the Boys round (Iam based In Leicester )So any help always welcome.!!!

Just a Few points to clarify....My Computers/router Downstairs, My main Hifis upstairs.So I just need a nice simple (but stable) way of Getting the flac files from my Computer up to the Touch (when I get one).

My House is NOT small (its not a mansion either) But it is Detached.So no Cardboard walls here.. hi Garym (so we meet again..) think you may be getting me mixed up with some one else...My Wifi here is really good (even without boosting via TP link.) If I cannot use my telephone Line ADSL / FILTER box-like the one downstairs that splits to phone & modem -upstairs, then Cant I just use a Tplink plu socket using ethernet to hard wire my S.B.T..? ( I dont like the idea of just using wifi alone (I dont know how good S.B.T are at wifi -but Surely Nothing beats a Hard wired connection...)

Got LMS running on Computer-No probs scanned in tunes-but cannot make them play. (Iam running Foobar-so not that bothered-but is there no way I can get LMS TO PLAY without having a Squeeze player..??

Keep it Simple folks (Its not called a Beginners thread for nowt!)...But Many thanks all for Helping a S.B.T. virgin.

OK so you've got LMS running, good.
    LMS is a server it has no playing functionality, as you have correctly found "squeeze player" is a software player (I'm assuming you mean the software player on the windows machine rather than a hardware player (SB3,SBT etc) ?).
    For the time being you can get your control app on your phone or tablet and try them out, these should be able to control the squeeze player.

As you have said there is nothing better than a proper hard wired connection but it must be on the correct type of cable, connectors etc and not used for anything else. Second would be powerline networking(I'm assuming this is the TPlink plugs), third would be wifi. It is certainly worth trying wifi first it maybe fine (a lot of people find it so)

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2016-04-04 at 03:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    OK so you've got LMS running, good.
    LMS is a server it has no playing functionality, as you have correctly found "squeeze player" is a software player (I'm assuming you mean the software player on the windows machine rather than a hardware player (SB3,SBT etc) ?).
    For the time being you can get your control app on your phone or tablet and try them out, these should be able to control the squeeze player.

As you have said there is nothing better than a proper hard wired connection but it must be on the correct type of cable, connectors etc and not used for anything else. Second would be powerline networking(I'm assuming this is the TPlink plugs), third would be wifi. It is certainly worth trying wifi first it maybe fine (a lot of people find it so)

Jeff
    Our house is stone and concrete (including floors). The Touch is at 14m from router on upper floor separated by at least 3 intervening walls. Wifi on Touch reports as 70% - performance is perfect.
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post

We'll talk about the boys later!

Try this for now to use you computer and LMS

Assuming you have a Windows PC.
    Open the Settings page on LMS (bottom right on the web gui)
    Left click on the Plugins Tab.
    Scroll down to the Local Player Plugin and tick the Box.
    Restart LMS.
    Return to the Plugins page and locate Local Player and complete the Settings (start player with Server).
    Restart LMS.
    Go to the web gui and select Squeezelite from the drop down box in the top right corner.
    Select something to play and the computer default output should oblige.
    Hope I got those details correct.

got to do lunch now, Bakson!

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Our house is stone and concrete (including floors). The Touch is at 14m from router on upper floor separated by at least 3 intervening walls. Wifi on Touch reports as 70% - performance is perfect.
    Hi,

[OT]
    Since we moved into a new House - my Wifi (the same that i hate in the old House) now works perfect.
    Reson is simple - in the new Location there are two other Wlan Spots all are very low and no one is using "my" Channels".
    [/OT]
    So WIFI works over xyz Meters/Feets/inches over abc thick Walls is a "hint" not a Tipp!

It all depends on too many Variables - most of them are out of your own todo list.

If you cant get LAN to your Location - maybe you move the System with lms next to your Player.
    If you wont move that System - get Power over Lan - easy Plugin and they run right from the Start.
    You also add the Localplayer Plugin to your LMS Server and if that System is some fanless system - move that into your Livingroom.

If you wont move that System - get Power over Lan - easy Plugin and they run right from the Start.
    I think you mean LAN over Power (powerline networking), not Power over LAN which would probably be POE.