Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ethernet question plus...

Hi Folks, Thinking of buying my first S.B.Touch got a few simple (i think) questions...

1.Got my Main Computer downstairs.With ripped files on Internal HD. I want to send my tunes upstairs to my Main Hifi upstairs.I have a main telephone line mains upstairs next to my hifi. (i dont use it as a phone line-but it works) Can I therefore just plug in a Ethernet Connection to my phone line to my S.B.T....? or will I need to add a filter to split phone/modem.. like downstairs(this one goes/splits to phone & Router).

2.Do I have to create a NEW ACCESS point/Network for the S.B.T...?

3. Is Support for S.B.T. going to Continue ..? (Hope so dont like the Sonos route..)

4. Seeing as Iam not a Apple fan which is the Best app on Anroid for S.B.T....? ive downloaded the Contoller (free but are the paid ones better..?)

5.Can Anyone drop me a link to make the server on Computer work (on win.7 /64) ...and how does this server work is it via the web (It opens in Browser) and scans your hard drive...So why does it have to access the web-if its using my HD..? Maybe Ive missed something here...

...so theres 6 basic questions from a S.B.T beginner.By the way Iam In U.K. Using fibre optic

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Hi Folks, Thinking of buying my first S.B.Touch got a few simple (i think) questions...

1.Got my Main Computer downstairs.With ripped files on Internal HD. I want to send my tunes upstairs to my Main Hifi upstairs.I have a main telephone line mains upstairs next to my hifi. (i dont use it as a phone line-but it works) Can I therefore just plug in a Ethernet Connection to my phone line to my S.B.T....? or will I need to add a filter to split phone/modem.. like downstairs(this one goes/splits to phone & Router).

3. Is Support for S.B.T. going to Continue ..? (Hope so dont like the Sonos route..)

4. Seeing as Iam not a Apple fan which is the Best app on Anroid for S.B.T....? ive downloaded the Contoller (free but are the paid ones better..?)

5.Can Anyone drop me a link to make the server on Computer work (on win.7 /64) ...and how does this server work is it via the web (It opens in Browser) and scans your hard drive...So why does it have to access the web-if its using my HD..? Maybe Ive missed something here...

...so theres 6 basic questions from a S.B.T beginner.By the way Iam In U.K. Using fibre optic
    1. Do you mean you're trying to use the cable to try and make an ethernet connection ? If it is a 2 pair cable and not connected to the phone line you probably can (100M ethernet only uses 2 pairs and over a short didstance should be OK). If it is connected to your phone line the answer is no (without getting very complex). My advice would be (best to worst) Ethernet CAT5E cable and connectors, Powerline networking, Wireless (WiFi)

2. If your Touch can recieve your WiFi network all should be OK anyway, no need to create another network.

3. SBT has been obsolete for many years now but there is plenty of support here.

4. I like orangesqueeze on android myself it works well for me.

5. dowload link for latest server(s) is here http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.9/sc/
    I use linux myself but again theres plenty of people on here that use LMS on Windows. The server serves "music" to the SBT it also has a web interface which can be accessed via a browser and is also how the android apps connect.

Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezePlayer,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: 7.9.0 - 1475786002 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud
    Remotes: iPeng8/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite
    Music: 383GB,1269 albums 17756 songs 4381 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

1. This will NOT work -do not try!

2. Touch has wifi to connect to your existing network - straightforward.

3. Install LMS on your PC - point music library at the PC music folder - scans once - music available on Touch.
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whereabouts in the UK are you? Perhaps someone local can help with the set-up.

atb

Ronnie.

Oh, and welcome

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    1. This will NOT work -do not try!
    I'm the one that recommended a TOUCH/LMS setup to daleyb on another forum. I'm not 100% clear about it, but what he calls a "telephone" jack downstairs near his stereo he described in more detail and it sounds like he has ADSL and could connect a switch there for connecting his Touch via ethernet. I was confused initially by his "telephone" reference, but in other correspondence it seems he has had internet connection via that port in the past that worked.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win8(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I'm the one that recommended a TOUCH/LMS setup to daleyb on another forum. I'm not 100% clear about it, but what he calls a "telephone" jack downstairs near his stereo he described in more detail and it sounds like he has ADSL and could connect a switch there for connecting his Touch via ethernet. I was confused initially by his "telephone" reference, but in other correspondence it seems he has had internet connection via that port in the past that worked.
    But why complicate matters? If he lives in a typical UK house it'll be made of cardboard walls and wooden floors - and most likely quite small !!!! Wifi is the way to go.
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But why complicate matters? If he lives in a typical UK house it'll be made of cardboard walls and wooden floors - and most likely quite small !!!! Wifi is the way to go.
    Or if he lives in a brick mansion, Powerline networking

he'll have to chime in, but I recall he has terrible wifi connection on his lower level (router and main computer that will run LMS is on an upper floor).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win8(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    he'll have to chime in, but I recall he has terrible wifi connection on his lower level (router and main computer that will run LMS is on an upper floor).
    Is fibre optic ADSL?
    SB Player - Fire TV

Is fibre optic ADSL?
    Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC)(sold as fibre) is VDSL, but comes onto the premis in the same way as ADSL.

If its Virgin "Fibre" it comes into the premis as a coax