Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Classic FM [UK] - connects at 128, drops to 48

Just listening to Classic FM's Easter weekend broadcast - they have a 'Top 300' sequence where they play the various pieces that were offered as favourites by listeners. 'Hall of Fame', is the broadcast; it runs for 4 days. Anyway, the problem I'm getting is that the link I use connects at 128kbps CBR then immediately drops to 48kbps CBR. SB Touch is the device, using in-building SBS. Touch is over WiFi, SBS is wired, fixed IPs everywhere.

The broadband downlink is running at 1.5 Mbps, up at around 448 kbps, so there isn't an (obvious) transmission problem. May ask about how other folks are connecting to Classic FM in UK?

We're not using the Classic FM plug-in, because it's never seemed to work for us. The connection we're using is:

1 Select 'Internet Radio'
    2 Select 'Search'
    3 Enter 'classic fm'
    4 Click on the top search result. (Connects at 128k but immediately drops to 48k)

I'm wondering if I'm using an incorrect link. How do others connect to Classic FM, and is anybody getting Classic FM at 128?

Grateful to hear of the correct link.

regards, Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post
    Just listening to Classic FM's Easter weekend broadcast - they have a 'Top 300' sequence where they play the various pieces that were offered as favourites by listeners. 'Hall of Fame', is the broadcast; it runs for 4 days. Anyway, the problem I'm getting is that the link I use connects at 128kbps CBR then immediately drops to 48kbps CBR. SB Touch is the device, using in-building SBS. Touch is over WiFi, SBS is wired, fixed IPs everywhere.

The broadband downlink is running at 1.5 Mbps, up at around 448 kbps, so there isn't an (obvious) transmission problem. May ask about how other folks are connecting to Classic FM in UK?

We're not using the Classic FM plug-in, because it's never seemed to work for us. The connection we're using is:

1 Select 'Internet Radio'
    2 Select 'Search'
    3 Enter 'classic fm'
    4 Click on the top search result. (Connects at 128k but immediately drops to 48k)

I'm wondering if I'm using an incorrect link. How do others connect to Classic FM, and is anybody getting Classic FM at 128?

Grateful to hear of the correct link.

regards, Atlantic
    You can listen to it via TuneIn Radio.

If you haven't already got TuneIn Radio you can get it through App Gallery in MySqueezebox.com.

Just search 'Classic FM' in TuneIn and it's available (and stays) at 128kbps CBR.

Chris
    4 Booms, 2 Classics, 3 Radios, 1 Raspberry Pi.

Quote Originally Posted by frozzers View Post
    You can listen to it via TuneIn Radio.

If you haven't already got TuneIn Radio you can get it through App Gallery in MySqueezebox.com.
    Thanks for that. I don't have TuneIn Radio. You mentioned getting it through MySqueezebox.com. I've never used MySqueezebox.com, we normally run only the in-house server. I did check the 'available plug-ins' on my SBS and TuneIn wasn't there which, I guess, is why you pointed me to MySqueezebox.com. I'll go looking around for it, because it will be useful for other stations, as well.

I've also found why the Classic FM plug-in wasn't working, and have fixed the settings - so I've solved my immediate problem and am getting Classic FM at 128, constantly. The checkbox for 'Classic FM live Direct stream - MP3 128kbs' wasn't 'ticked'. It may have been that way since installation, a year or so ago. And, for anyone else reading, the other entry in the settings, for (just) 'Classic FM live' doesn't seem to function at all, here.

One slightly odd effect of using the Classic FM plug-in is that the logo displayed on the Touch is just a Classic FM brand symbol whereas, when using the Internet Search method that I posted, though that only gives me 48kbps, it seemed to pick up the particular programme logo to display it. Since we don't look at the SBT while it's playing, the logo doesn't matter to us, but I note this in case anyone else comes back to this thread.

Much obliged for the help

Atlantic

This is a 128kbit/sec MP3 stream URL - make it a favorite http://media-ice.musicradio.com/ClassicFMMP3

If using ClassicFM via the Tunein Radio menu on LMS - check pout the "Choose Stream" menu as it gives a choice between 128kbit MP3 and a 48kbit AAC and an estimated associated "reliability"

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    This is a 128kbit/sec MP3 stream URL - make it a favorite http://media-ice.musicradio.com/ClassicFMMP3

If using ClassicFM via the Tunein Radio menu on LMS - check pout the "Choose Stream" menu as it gives a choice between 128kbit MP3 and a 48kbit AAC and an estimated associated "reliability"
    Noted, thanks. I see that the ClassicFM plug-in, which I have managed to get working as I mentioned above, also uses that media-ice URL.

bpa, while on ClassicFM, the plug-in has an entry for 'listen again', but the player comes up with 'Empty'. [The family are out tomorrow and wanted to listen to the final day's Hall of Fame, being broadcast tomorrow, on the next day, instead.] I've tried just with a web browser on a linux PC. Using Firefox, the listen again player (which Classic FM describe as 'Listen on Demand'), that they use needs scripts from 'thisisglobal.com' and 'radioplayer.co.uk' (listening 'live' also uses scripts from musicradio.com', which it would given your finding of the link above). I have enabled those scripts in Firefox but, sadly, the CFM webplayer also needs Flash, but that's a step too far for our machines (due to our choosing to limit our exposure to security risks).

Do you know of a 'favourite' link I could use instead for CFM's listen again?

I haven't implemented frozzers' sugestion of TuneIn yet - I didn't want to disrupt the server while folk are enjoying the live broadcast. You also seem familiar with TuneIn, do you know whether CFM's listen again is available also through that portal?

bpa, thanks for your message anyway,

regards, Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post
    bpa, while on ClassicFM, the plug-in has an entry for 'listen again', but the player comes up with 'Empty'.
    I can do very little with ClassicFM since it is geolocked - their webpages are blocked to me but I can play URLS via Tune-in. There may be a way around but can't try until very late today.

Have you contacted the plugin author mrw ?

The plugin uses original Triode BBCiPlayer for Flash but I think ClassicFM may be moving away from Flash and so plugin may need updated. Also I'm not sure how plugin connect to BBCiPlayer but I would think you should test using Triode original version.
    Also the plugin is still hosted on google code which needs to be moved as google are closing it down.

I can do very little with ClassicFM since it is geolocked - their webpages are blocked to me but I can play URLS via Tune-in. There may be a way around but can't try until very late today.

Have you contacted the plugin author mrw ?

The plugin uses original Triode BBCiPlayer for Flash but I think ClassicFM may be moving away from Flash and so plugin may need updated. Also I'm not sure how plugin connect to BBCiPlayer but I would think you should test using Triode original version.
    Also the plugin is still hosted on google code which needs to be moved as google are closing it down.
    bpa, I hadn't realised there were so many issues around this, and so I am sorry to have asked you for ideas since, as you say, there is the author, and you're out of CFM's coverage anyway. Apologies for that. And, please, don't trouble to try anything else this evening. I have unearthed an old laptop, put a current OS on it and will run it on a network segment that doesn't reach the main network in the house. I'll add Firefox to that, and install a current Flash plug-in, and then just plug the laptop's headphone output into the HiFi (that was the first way I ever tried the SQ system, using Squeezeplay; I got hooked!). Bypassing SBS and the SBT, for now, just so that I can settle the family and make sure they get their programme on Tuesday.

Just a couple of comments on what you have said. The current webplayer from ClassicFM does still use flash, as of today. Interesting that the SBS plug-in is based on Triode's earlier iPlayer - if that used flash, which is how I read your note, then I guess that would enable 'music', but the plug-in isn't getting that far. It has first to list the programmes from the previous 7 days and let the user select which one to hear; it is this phase where the plug-in shows 'Empty' (on Squeezeplay - I can't check on the Touch because it's in use).

You mention the plug-in, and Google. On the plug-ins page in SBS settings, I see that I have this repository enabled:

http://triodeplugins.googlecode.com/...k/testrepo.xml

as well as, incidentally,

http://bpaplugins.googlecode.com/svn...repo-short.xml

I'll post a message on the 3rd party forum, and see if mrw pops up. It would be good to be able to use the CFM plug-in, if it were possible, because it plays through a decent system, hassle-free.

Very many thanks, and again sorry to have distracted you from the weekend. I can now solve my immediate CFM listen again problem, using a separate laptop, and flash.

regards, Atlantic
    Last edited by Atlantic; 2016-03-27 at 06:20. Reason: Missed word.

I did a bit of digging.

1. ClassicFM now has all audio available in MP4/AAC - URLs
    2. The CFM plugin screen scraped the weeb page to get Listen Again - AFAICT this screen has been eliinated from web site and if that is the case then this method is dead.
    3. "LIsten Again" has been re-implemented for RadioPlayer using a much simpler interface and so plugin could be rewritten in a simpler way without screenscraping and Flash although to play MP4/AAC in LMS may need other work.

The original ClassicFM plugin was tied to BBCiPlayer to Flash support. However Flash is being retired and there is a need to break link of ClassicFM plugin and BBCiPlayer as the the sites are going in different directions as it looks like BBC have now stopped using Flash for Radio.

I have created a new version of ClassicFM plugin - V2.0 with No screen scraping and no Flash.

The menu has
    * live stream at 128k MP3
    * live stream at 48kb AAC.
    * Listen Again

Listen Again lists all the shows that are currently available.

ClassicFM seems to use streamed MP4 (48kbit AAC codec) as the default for Apps. Streamed MP4 supports skipping ahead / back. However undocumented ClassicFM seems to also supports MP3 at 128kb and AAC at 48kb but without skipping. Plugin is set to use MP3 128kb on installation.

I'm not sure if this plugin is of interest but if it is then perhaps next version could add
    1. Proper support for stream Mp4 with skipping
    2."what's playing now " with image for Live streams.

To install the plugin - add this repository link below to the repositories at the bottom of LMS Settings/Plugins page. The ClassicFM v2 line should appear in a new 3rd party repsoitory at the bottom of Settings/Plugins. Install ClassicFM v2 as per any othe rplugin.
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pro...sicfm-repo.xml

I have created a new version of ClassicFM plugin - V2.0 with No screen scraping and no Flash.

The menu has
    * live stream at 128k MP3
    * live stream at 48kb AAC.
    * Listen Again

Listen Again lists all the shows that are currently available.

ClassicFM seems to use streamed MP4 (48kbit AAC codec) as the default for Apps. Streamed MP4 supports skipping ahead / back. However undocumented ClassicFM seems to also supports MP3 at 128kb and AAC at 48kb but without skipping. Plugin is set to use MP3 128kb on installation.

I'm not sure if this plugin is of interest but if it is then perhaps next version could add
    1. Proper support for stream Mp4 with skipping
    2."what's playing now " with image for Live streams.

To install the plugin - add this repository link below to the repositories at the bottom of LMS Settings/Plugins page. The ClassicFM v2 line should appear in a new 3rd party repsoitory at the bottom of Settings/Plugins. Install ClassicFM v2 as per any othe rplugin.
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pro...sicfm-repo.xml
    <astonishment/>

Extraordinary. There are some very clever people around this forum, very supportive, and unsparing of their time.

</astonishment>

Added the repository, restarted SBS, and Classic FM v2 automatically appeared in the list of 'Active' plug-ins, with a tick in its checkbox. So, on installation, it seems to find the old plug-in, remove it, and install itself. Checked its 'settings' and 128kbps MP3 is ticked.

Switched on the SB Touch, selected
    - Internet Radio
    - Classic FM v2
    - Listen again
    - Nick Bailey's Hall of Fame transmission from Monday

Saint Saens Organ Symphony. A perfect baptism for the plug-in.

Simply brilliant.

The family think so, too.

So, the feedback here is that installation and operation seem ok. I did fail to get Squeezeplay (on W Vista) to work with it - that was my first test while I was still at my desk. (But Squeezeplay here uses a much slower downlink than the Touch and SBS do (512kbps, not normally used for Internet Radio) so it may actually have been working, but simply failing to receive its data promptly enough. Squeezeplay just displayed 'Connecting' for around 4 mins. I'll check that again in the morning, when that link is usually giving faster response times, it's a pretty poor response right now so I don't think it means there's an issue with Squeezeplay and the plug-in.)

Skipping would be good especially on long programmes such as Classic FM. Skipping is handy if we're interrupted and, perhaps, have to stop listening and switch off. Later, or the next day, it would be good to skip through to the start again of the piece, which could easily be 90 mins or so after the beginning of the programme and would save waiting for an hour or so to pass before being able to begin to hear the piece again. Are you thinking that skipping might be possible on the 128MP3 Listen Again stream?

On live broadcasts, ClassicFM's website shows what specific piece is playing. Do you think that information is also encoded in the (live) stream? Or is the 'What's Playing' information only sort of 'This is Nick Bailey on Classic FM', ie, static throughout the programme?

Tides ebb, and flow, but it's risen fast, today.
    regards, Atlantic