Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sonos layoffs

Quote Originally Posted by stereoptic View Post
    The gist that I got from the article is that Sonos is veering away from streaming users' own directories and towards paid streaming subscriptions. I think this quote was a little scoff at the squeezebox community:
    Some of those laggards will have large collections of live recordings from sites like dimeadozen. Streaming services won't be providing those.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Some of those laggards will have large collections of live recordings from sites like dimeadozen. Streaming services won't be providing those.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Amen...which also contributed to not initially choosing Sonos...Track Limit

I┤ve played and touched the Sonos range in some stores during christmas time, because I was considering to kickoff the replacement process of my SBs.

Sonos has really nice devices and the promotion offers for the Play1 (~150Ç) were really nice - more or less comparable to what I┤ve paid for the SB Radio and Boom.

But they are lacking displays! I don┤t like to use my phone for every single step except changing volumen and play/pause. Thus I cannot imagine using Sonos as a full replacement.

Most people who see my whole house LMS system running on a RPi are in awe of it. However most of them are happy enough with a bluetooth speaker that they control from their phone. Paid streaming services work well enough in this environment and most millennials seem to be able to work them.

Somebody said earlier in this thread that they thought that SB/LMS may well be the last man standing if Sonos drops out. I am inclined to agree. This forum and in particular this thread seems to have enough momentum to keep the whole ecosystem healthy. There si much loyalty and many enthusiastic users out there.

It is quite possible to build an SB/LMS system using no parts from Logitech at all. I started this way and it is still the backbone of my system even though I have two Boomboxes and two radios.