Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sonos layoffs

Sonos layoffs

Long blog post explaining Sonis views of the market - but also laying some people off.
    http://blog.sonos.com/news/industry-...vest-in-future

Sonos layoffs

Another interesting point is the importance of voice control. It's been
    around forever. I always doubted its usefulness (do you know anyone
    who's seriously using any of Siri/Ok Google/Cortana? I don't). Yet it
    seems to be the technology of the moment. Thanks Amazon.

BTW: There's a company called Voco or similar who've had SB compatible
    hardware with voice control for several years.

--

Michael

I know some people actually using Siri. Still always sounds horribly ridiculous to me.
    Also: I kind of feel it's a technology for singles...
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

I suspect (note: all just speculation) what's happening is this:
    Sonos' core design (the multiroom core component) is now 12 years or so old and has never seen a substantial update - actually the way it works it can't see a substantial update because all devices replicate their state between each other.

After all this time they probably realized they have to build something new (there might be parts deprecation issues and so on) and they probably looked at what they feel the best way forward from a green field POV would look like.

For some reason they came up with this voice control idea. I don't think it's a good idea, first because I, too, am not convinced it's a good UI paradigm. But also: they are way behind. Sonos had a competitive edge in multiroom and now they move into an area where they are a "me, too"-follower to giants like Apple, Google and Amazon. We'll see how it turns out.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

I think voice is a bit overrated, too but it's not nearly as overhyped as, say, 3D TV was a few years back.

Touchscreen UIs were a HUGE step to make computers more accessible to non-techies. Voice isn't as big a step, but I can imagine it helps non-technical users as well. For instance, my mother-in-law often times has difficulties using search. I don't think she fully comprehends the difference between a search engine and an URL. She kind of tries to enter both in the browser in the same way, and usually she restricts herself to a single word or term.

But with a voice search enabled app, she is actually able to formulate decent queries. She simply formulates questions as a full sentence. So voice search clearly benefits her.

Quote Originally Posted by poing View Post
    I think voice is a bit overrated, too but it's not nearly as overhyped as, say, 3D TV was a few years back.

Touchscreen UIs were a HUGE step to make computers more accessible to non-techies. Voice isn't as big a step, but I can imagine it helps non-technical users as well. For instance, my mother-in-law often times has difficulties using search. I don't think she fully comprehends the difference between a search engine and an URL. She kind of tries to enter both in the browser in the same way, and usually she restricts herself to a single word or term.

But with a voice search enabled app, she is actually able to formulate decent queries. She simply formulates questions as a full sentence. So voice search clearly benefits her.
    This is mostly my experience too-- my father in law isn't too great with technology despite being big on having a smart phone and tablet. He does fine using apps but still struggles finding stuff on the actual web and doesn't do well with searching especially if his first result doesn't get him what he needs. I've noticed a real difference ever since he started using voice search, he's less annoyed and much faster to find the information he needs.

I don't know anyone savvy or young using voice to interact with their devices in daily life.
    My wife kind of uses Google Now and I often use Cortana features like notebook/reminders on my Windows Phone 10 but neither of us interact with those services using voice.
    Last edited by cybergrimes; 2016-03-10 at 11:25.

Voice is terrific to have in the car. It is much easier just to ask Siri to navigate to a certain destination than it is to type it in. It is also handy to tell her to play a certain artist or album as long as it is in my local music. If Apple would really open her up to more apps I think it would be a lot more popular.

The gist that I got from the article is that Sonos is veering away from streaming users' own directories and towards paid streaming subscriptions. I think this quote was a little scoff at the squeezebox community:
    The shift is not complete as a few laggards continue to cling to fading business models, but itĺs inevitable now. The only question that remains is how fast the growth of paid subscription services will be.

Sonos layoffs

> The gist that I got from the article is that Sonos is veering away from
    > streaming users' own directories and towards paid streaming
    > subscriptions. I think this quote was a little scoff at the squeezebox
    > community:
    >> The shift is not complete as a few laggards continue to cling to fading
    >> business models, but itĺs inevitable now. The only question that remains
    >> is how fast the growth of paid subscription services will be.

Not sure, because there's no business model for SB/LMS any more :-).

--

Michael

I think it's more targeted at Roon.
    And of course it needs to be noted that this is exactly the point where Sonos will find it very hard to improve and keep their installed base compatible due to the lack of memory
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com