Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Media not found

Thanks again, I now understand what's been causing the problems. My catalogue is already much improved.

I'm now also confident that the scanning process had been missing CDs due to bad tagging, such as Unknown Artist, Unknown Album, etc.

I tend to use XLD to rip my CDs. Is there a ripper that can adds tags that I want during the rip with minimal typing? Perhaps XLD is capable of doing this, but I'm just not using it properly? I know there's a ripper for Windows (I can't remember the name) that a lot of folks like, but I found it rather complicated. Perhaps it's worth making the effort to learn how to use all of its functionality or use another ripper?
    Last edited by grazie; 2016-03-07 at 11:54.

Two of the more high-sophisticated rippers are dBpoweramp and EAC (exact audio copy). They verify what they rip against other users' rips.

BTW, you don't need to avoid special characters in file names or in the tags, LMS can handle them properly (if your OS and/or tagger does).

Media not found

> BTW, you don't need to avoid special characters in file names or in the
    > tags, LMS can handle them properly (if your OS and/or tagger does).

I would still be careful using them, as eg. when naming tracks on
    Windows, then transferring to your Linux box of whatever kind where you
    run LMS could still cause problems. And this is a quite popular use case.

--

Michael

In the tags i would use unrestricted amounts of odd characters , but not in the file names .

Passning the files over different OS and different disc format system over the years can do stuff . And different locale settings in the machines ?

Another less than obvious quirk , different OS have different forbidden characters that's well known ,control chars like slashes and back slashes etc .different disc formats like NTSF ext3 FAT etc also has forbidden chars . What's less known is that they may not match the OS they are used with . For example NTFS as a disc format allows things that Windows can't do .
    So a Linux or Mac computer can write a perfectly valid file to a NTFS disc that Windows can't read .

I once had files that looked okay in Natilius Ubuntus (Linux) "explorer" but not when viewed in a shell ?

Tags an file names do not need to match, in classical music the title can be rather long on both album and tracks . If you have an OS that restricts you to 256 character long file paths that's also a problem .

Some are in the habbit of having both artist and album name included in the the track name . if you move to a deeper file structure you may hit this limit .

And use a file format that have good tag support FLAC or ALAC for example but flac is more widely supported and has good hardware support in squeezeboxes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    Two of the more high-sophisticated rippers are dBpoweramp and EAC (exact audio copy). They verify what they rip against other users' rips.
    Yes, it was EAD I was referring too, thanks. I'll give it another try.

I agree that mixed environments could cause problems, so you have to check. But I'm ripping on Linux and copying the files over to Windows where I modify them and where LMS is running and I don't have issues with all kinds of really strange looking characters in both file names and tags, for example from Nordic countries like Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    I don't have issues with all kinds of really strange looking characters in both file names and tags, for example from Nordic countries like Sweden

[OT]
    try to copy a file like
    artist - album - track - title (12")

There are all kinds of special chars, that gets you in trouble...
    [/OT]