Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media not found

Media not found

I have been ripping my CDs and building up my library for a while now. However, a substantial number of CDs (media files) are not being found and added to the Media Library on scanning or rescanning. From what I've read so far, I know special characters in the file name can cause problems, but I don't think I have any media files with special characters in them.

Secondly, artists are sometimes duplicated. I've been told the file name structure contains tags which can cause this to happen.

Examples of unexpected duplicate artists found in my library.

Cult With No Name
    Cult with No Name

Jamaica Jazz
    Jamaica Jazz all Stars

Joni Mitchell
    joni mitchell

etc,...

All my files are stored using on disk using the following file naming convention.

<genre>/<artist>/<album>/<nn trackname>

I don't know how to fix this and there's a lot of duplications.
    Last edited by grazie; 2016-03-07 at 03:14.

Hi,

lms (its database) is case sensitive.

• Cult With No Name
    • Cult with No Name
    • Cult with no Name

are 3 separate Artists or Albums.
    You have to use a mp3/flac/whatever tagger that is supported by your unknown Operating System.

Files - that not found from the scan processs are mostly listed in the scanner/Server logfile. Or these logfiles cant give you a hint.

Media not found

> I have been ripping my CDs and building up my library for a while now.
    > However, a substantial number of CD (media files) are not being found
    > and added to the Media Library on scanning or rescanning. From wait I've

First things first: check your scanner.log file. Did the scanner crash
    at some point? You can upload it here for further analysis.

> Cult With No Name
    > Cult with No Name
    >
    > Jamaica Jazz
    > Jamaica Jazz all Stars
    >
    > Joni Mitchell
    > joni mitchell

These are not duplicates. It's different spellings of what you think was
    the same thing. But different spelling will result in different results.
    Fix the metadata in those tracks, and you'll get rid of the
    "duplicates". Use something like mp3tag for mass-tagging if there are a
    lots of changes to do.

--

Michael

Thanks for the replies. My LMS is running on Linux.

Ye.s I was aware that letter case makes a difference. However, what I wasn't aware of is that LMS catalogues my collection by file tags and not bythe file naming structure I'm using or perhaps it using a mixture of both?, I'm still not sure.

The mp3tag tool is great. I've already sorted out "Cult With No Name". I still don't understand is how the media files are being tagged inconsistently. I assume it must be the ripping software that is tagging the media files. Does the ripper tag with what it finds online or what it reads from the CD? Using the Cult With No Name example, I have two albums, firstly 'Another Landing' and secondly 'Paper Wraps Rocks'. Am I getting my duplicate because one album has "Cult With No Name" as the artist and the other has "Cult with No Name"?

I'll look at the scanning log again and post details if I don't see what the problem is.

Your example of the 2 albums is exactly what will give you multiple artists because one has with and the other With in the artist field.

Another example might be Hall And Oates vs Hall & Oates.

When adding new music by artists I already have I go back to check how I tagged earlier recordings to avoid this issue.

The point I'm trying to make is I AM NOT TAGGING THE MEDIA FILES. I can only conclude that the ripping software is doing it. However, it's clear that it's not doing it consistently. I'm trying to find out why this is so.

Quote Originally Posted by grazie View Post
    Thanks for the replies. My LMS is running on Linux.

Ye.s I was aware that letter case makes a difference. However, what I wasn't aware of is that LMS catalogues my collection by file tags and not bythe file naming structure I'm using or perhaps it using a mixture of both?, I'm still not sure.

The mp3tag tool is great. I've already sorted out "Cult With No Name". I still don't understand is how the media files are being tagged inconsistently. I assume it must be the ripping software that is tagging the media files. Does the ripper tag with what it finds online or what it reads from the CD? Using the Cult With No Name example, I have two albums, firstly 'Another Landing' and secondly 'Paper Wraps Rocks'. Am I getting my duplicate because one album has "Cult With No Name" as the artist and the other has "Cult with No Name"?

I'll look at the scanning log again and post details if I don't see what the problem is.
    Hi,

Here is some "user" that wrote a line like:
    Sampler sucks..
    This "User" is also "our" Main Distributor

Whenever i add a new Sampler to my collection i always hear my brain listen to that sentence - cause i know what Michael is meaning with it.

If you already familar with mp3 tag - use it.
    If your Files are already sorted in "artist/albums" Folders - just grap one artistfolder after another and mass change the Artistname.
    Beware of old (id3v1) and newer (id3v.2.x) tags - they are separate tags even when Artist on v2 says "Whatever" idv1 could also say "whatEver"!

So my behaviour is get rid of the id3v1 Tags.

If you familar with linux - try eyeD3 a commandline Tagger or puddletag (a mp3tag clone written by a guy who is also a lms User).

Since lms didnt drop renamed Artists - you have to clear & rescan instead of just rescan (the old Artist would be there - but without Tracks)

The point I'm trying to make is I AM NOT TAGGING THE MEDIA FILES.
    BIG Mistake!
    There are "good" reasons eg.
    De la Soul

and bad reasons (misspelling from someone who exports his typofailure to CDDB) that a Artist has different Names.

The point I'm trying to make is I AM NOT TAGGING THE MEDIA FILES. I can only conclude that the ripping software is doing it. However, it's clear that it's not doing it consistently. I'm trying to find out why this is so.
    CDs don't contain tagging data. (metadata)
    Your ripping software gets it's metadata from an online database.
    The database is probably populated from tags typed by your average Joe or Joes, Joe & Joe have different interpretations of the metadata they use.
    After ripping, all my CD's are subsequently opened in mp3tag, and tagged how I want them, not how Joe or Joe has specified.

Tag your music files using mp3tag as you wish to see them, then clear your library and rescan everything.
    LMS 7.9 on a Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20, playlists and LMS cache on a USB stick, 25K+ music library on a WD MyCloud network drive,
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20beta7/HiFiBerry DAC+ > Cambridge Audio Minx 5 (study)
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DAC+ > Sharp micro system (garage)
    1 x Boom (dining room) - 1 x Touch (used for display and controller only) - 1 x SB3 (spare) - 1 x Radio (spare)

In case of no tagging at all LMS tries its best to "guess" album and artist from the file structure , but its a algorithm . Tags are much better you eventually get what you want .
    And all the album and artist and genre menus and more starts to work properly , for example search works much better .

Otherwise you are forced to use the "music folder " browse option to find your music , it is just that it browses the folders ,but this is slow .

It also uses cue files and eventually m3u files aka playlists .

In LMS settings/advanced/formatting you have "Guess Tags Formats" here you can influence the guesswork a bit
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html