Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

beginner messing with a rpi and picoreplayer...

Hey hello,

yeah sorry a newby here. And i'm lost beyond words. But before i ask my question i'll quickly tell you who i am and why i'm here.

Well i was hooked to the audiophile world by a friend of mine.. and shortly after that i started to make my own player. (old pc mainbard. no movng parts al very basic and voila) and must say that even though i only got it connected to a logitech z10 set it sound extremely good. but.. i also want something more portable.

I bought myself a rpi and started to fiddle with it. basically i'm installing all (to me known) players like moode, volumio, rune, pi player and stuff and once my dac (audiophonics es9023 dac) arrives i will mount it on there. connect it to my z10 and let it play in for a while. after which i'll take all my sd cards with different os-en to my friends setup (way more audiophile than i will ever be able to get) and compare them. the os's my old player and his player. just to see what is good in what.

anyway. while browsing i bumbed (almost literally) into picoreplayer.. and got interested immediately, one beause it's small. but also because it runs completely from memory. Both two good starting points.
    So i installed it... and great. it runs, it's connected to my network, got my z10 connected to the usb but now... (must say to the developers... wow guys, good job seriously! wow)

where do i point out where my music is (locally on sd or usb drive) and how do i handle stuff like playlists.

do wanna point out that it really never heard of squeezebox before i found picoreplayer. anyway i installed the squeezebox app on my phone.. but i need to add the player.. and i really don't have a clue where to begin.
    so if any of you veterans is willing to help me.. maybe via private msg? just so we don't clutter it here with my stupid questions. anyway i would really appreciate it!

Kind greatings

Matthieu

ello,ello,ello Spikey.

do you ave LogitechMediaServer installed anywheres?

Velcome

no i haven't

guess i'll have to start with that then.. but i would like to keep my music files lokal (drive with the rpi itself)

does it excist for linux?

kind greats.

ps: isn't there a tutorial somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by spikey1973 View Post
    no i haven't

guess i'll have to start with that then.. but i would like to keep my music files lokal (drive with the rpi itself)

does it excist for linux?

kind greats.

ps: isn't there a tutorial somewhere?
    Using Max2Play http://www.max2play.com is probably you're best bet to start with, this can run the LMS and a player (squeezelite) on a Pi

What Linux distro do you use/have most experience of ? I use CentOS 7 myself but can run on most linuxes. To start with there are dedicated distros (Vortexbox) again a bit easier untill you get the hang of it.

Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezePlayer,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: 7.9.1 - 1503129892 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud
    Remotes: iPeng8/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite
    Music: 383GB,1269 albums 17756 songs 4381 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

hey Jeff,

well thanks for a quick respons.. but i think i'm kinda getting on the wrong path here.
    I interpreted picoreplayer as a player but it is not intended like tat at all. you need at least your derver envirnment added and acordng to the m2p video i watched mch more.
    this gives me all kinda options i don't need and makes the one and only basic option i want lot more complex.

now i don't mind figuring something more 'complex' out. not at all. but the idea it to keep the pi int the as much as possible audiophile range. the more complex the calculations will get for the processor the lesser the sound quality.
    so this is going the 'wrong' way for me instead ot the right way.

in wich case i feel like sticking with rune will be a much better option. at least for now.

as all i need is a player that can pick data files locally, store them in it's memory and play it from there. with controle over the network. but just controle. not streaming over the network.

please correct me if you believ me to be wrong.

kind greatings

Matthieu

Hi Matthieu,

I think you are right if you just want a music player to play from a local source Rune is probably your best solution.

The LMS system and the clients is more for multiple players playing streams from a central source.

Jeff
    Server: LMS Version: 7.9.1 - 1503129892 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320

Hi,

beware this is a complete other thing

Picoreplayer is a (sorry mates) stupid peace of Software that doesnt know nothing (except some stuff) so its easy to handle all knowledge into his RAM.

A lms Server (doesnt matter if its from scratch or 2 max2player Version) is a big piece of Software that handles mostly everything for storing, streaming your musicfiles.

It needs RAM and all your library infos must ne stored (somewhere) so its not running on a Pi in RAM.

If your mediafiles arent tagged (artist/genre/album) and you didnt want to spend time to tag them - lms isnt the piece of Software that you want.

Some of the max2play guys have some youtube lookhowto to get an idea - at least "squeezeplug" you should view (beware its an older Version) dont know if max2play has videos somewhere.

If you would look @ my infos (to the left) here are some guys that uses lms former slimserver a looooong time so its a very very nice piece of mediastorage thinngy and it has lots and lots of stuff you may want (or not)

Last but not least - the concept of lms is: "We do just handle mediafiles" no tagging no changing for mediafiles - you need another software to rip and tag.

If my words didnt blow your mind - welcome here.

To start you off I'd recommend the following

Picoreplayer for the reasons you have identified - it's a smart piece of development
    Install LMS onto a Windows PC just to suss out how it works then decide what is the best server solution for you longer term

Server options are
    Rasp Pi with USB drive
    Rasp Pi with SMB or NFS of a network share
    Windows PC
    Mac
    Linux PC
    Vortex box
    Various NAS devices
    Others plug PC devices
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

we also have a wiki http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Main_Page with some newb guides etc . And guide to ripping and tagging

I have used the LMS server on windows PC ,LInux PC and 2 different linux mini servers . But just try it on your PC or Mac to test it .

In short the server can run on most computers , players are plentyfull and these PI based things are good for a new player . There are a lot of good aps for your tablet or phone to control players with .
    And the server has an web-UI for acess by any of your computers on the same network .

Advice . Keep the file tags well maintaned it improves the whole experience , use FLAC files they are well supported .

Rip CD's with dBpower amp or any other accurate-rip enabled program like EAC etc .

The idea with this ecosystem is best expressed if you dont want the server and hardrives in the same room as the player , but hidden away somewhere and just a small player at the stereo or what you have .

You do like to collect a lot of music files .High quality lossles files are well suported .

You keep the files in reasonable order . Advanced tagging schemes are better supported than in any other system

Multiroom and synced playback really works . Having more than one player is really fun, one in each room

You can add spotify Tidal deezer etc as icing on the cake .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Guy's,

He thought piCoreplayer was a standalone media player.

He only wants to play local media from a USB stick/disk

Jeff