Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WAV files

Quote Originally Posted by peterguk View Post

It is shown correctly in Artist and Album menus.
    And you start playback from that menu ? There is a difference on how LMS handle the file . Some versions of LMS has a bug when starting single file + cue from "music folder".

Another idea is to get cuetools and split it to separate tracks and convert them to flac.....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Why WAV files ?

FLACs are just as good and much easier to manage. FLACs properly support gapless playback, there isn't any need for a cue sheet, each file can contain the tags it needs to display correctly.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Why WAV files ?

FLACs are just as good and much easier to manage. FLACs properly support gapless playback, there isn't any need for a cue sheet, each file can contain the tags it needs to display correctly.
    hi d6jg

It's just a matter of preference.

I find 1 WAV + 1 CUE + cover image very easy to manage. Just 3 files per CD. The creation of these files is one of EAC's standard commands.

My brain works at the album or CD level, so this is the "perfect" solution for me.

I understand others work at the track level or want more than just basic tagging, so we are lucky we use LMS which handles everything so well.

regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    hi d6jg

I find 1 WAV + 1 CUE + cover image very easy to manage. Just 3 files per CD. The creation of these files is one of EAC's standard commands.

My brain works at the album or CD level, so this is the "perfect" solution for me.

I understand others work at the track level or want more than just basic tagging, so we are lucky we use LMS which handles everything so well.

regards
    Greg
    Yes, it's great to have choices. I'm also an old-school album guy, but I prefer individual flac files for the album tracks.

hi d6jg

regards
    Greg
    I agree that options are good. As an aside, your response answers the 1 file + cue question, but one can also do 1 FLAC + CUE + image per album (with EAC as well). Why the WAV vs FLAC?
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win8(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I agree that options are good. As an aside, your response answers the 1 file + cue question, but one can also do 1 FLAC + CUE + image per album (with EAC as well). Why the WAV vs FLAC?
    hi garym,

In my case, I was using EAC to backup CDs long before I had any Squeezebox devices. One day I heard about LMS (or whatever it was called back then) and Squeezeplay. I downloaded LMS and pointed it to my ripped CDs. It worked perfectly so I never changed (only had to download the cover art). Over the years I have played with other methods out of interest and I do use flac for my Beatles collection.

regards
    Greg

hi garym,

In my case, I was using EAC to backup CDs long before I had any Squeezebox devices. One day I heard about LMS (or whatever it was called back then) and Squeezeplay. I downloaded LMS and pointed it to my ripped CDs. It worked perfectly so I never changed (only had to download the cover art). Over the years I have played with other methods out of interest and I do use flac for my Beatles collection.

regards
    Greg
    yep, going back far enough in time, WAV was about the only option for lossless CD ripping. Then we got SHN, then FLAC, etc.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win8(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify