Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

For Sale: Transport fully modded Modwright Platinum Signature

Asking $1300

I feel the value of this unit far excedes $1300 but as always market conditions prevail. I will entertain all offers. If someone has been on the fence on one of these fine units...this one comes with a nice collection of tubes.

This is the latest edition ModWright Transporter with full Signature Platinum Truth upgrades in perfect operational and cosmetic condition. Iĺm the original owner purchased directly from ModWright. I have original packaging as I received form Modwright. I have original TP manual as well as the manual I got from MW. It has been lightly used in a dedicated music room in a clean and non smoking home.

The ModWright version is a substantial upgrade adding an oversized toroidal transformer and a complete re-design of the analog stage using two output tubes. The tube output stage features an internal, tube rectified power supply based on the technology from ModWright preamplifiers. RCA and balanced outputs are now sourced from the new analog stage. The balanced outputs utilize custom wound output transformers from Electroprint. The RCA output connectors are upgraded from stock. The output stage produces output levels sufficient to drive most amplifiers directly without a preamp.

Audiogon add
    https://app.audiogon.com/listings/tr...216-shawnee-ks

I will sell direct with the right buyer

Quote Originally Posted by scp2 View Post
    The tube output stage features an internal, tube rectified power supply based on the technology from ModWright preamplifiers.
    Just out of curiosity, what benefit is there from using tube rectifiers?
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

It provides a fuller richer sound. Less fatigue...more like an analog signal(LP). It doesn't color the sound....seems more lifelike.

Here is an article about the upgrade.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/m...ansporter.html

Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezePlayer,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: 7.9.1 - 1503129892 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud
    Remotes: iPeng8/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite
    Music: 383GB,1269 albums 17756 songs 4381 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by scp2 View Post
    It provides a fuller richer sound. Less fatigue...more like an analog signal(LP). It doesn't color the sound....seems more lifelike.
    And what actual physical property of the valve rectifier would cause those effects, and how?
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    And what actual physical property of the valve rectifier would cause those effects, and how?
    Here's a couple of interesting articles about tube rectifiers as used in audio circuits:

http://www.soldano.com/amp-help/tube...te-rectifiers/

http://www.guitarplayer.com/amplifie...ctifiers/23811

Basically, tubes completely suck at being good rectifiers. They cause voltage and current sags. This might be a good thing for a guitar amp, but for a line source it's going to make things sound like shit.

But, given the good PSU design of the Transporter, I'm guessing there's enough capacitor to deal with the sags and you won't hear any difference at all. All you're left with is the warmth and glowing of the placebo effect.
    Last edited by SuperQ; 2016-01-03 at 03:46. Reason: fix messy sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperQ View Post
    Basically, tubes completely suck at being good rectifiers.
    Indeed. There is a reason that rectifiers were the first tubes to be replaced (even in tube amps) as soon as semiconductor rectifiers became available.

But, given the good PSU design of the Transporter, I'm guessing there's enough capacitor to deal with the sags and you won't hear any difference at all. All you're left with is the warmth and glowing of the placebo effect.
    I agree - that is why I asked what any possible benefits could be based on. I guess placebo is the only real answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Indeed. There is a reason that rectifiers were the first tubes to be replaced (even in tube amps) as soon as semiconductor rectifiers became available.
    Having been on the scene in that day, the most probable reason was availability and cost. Appropriate low cost semiconductor rectifiers predated the more complex appropriate transistors by quite a few years.

Tube rectifiers were supplanted in two steps - first by the fairly limited selenium rectifiers, and then by more capable silicon diodes.

I agree - that is why I asked what any possible benefits could be based on. I guess placebo is the only real answer.
    Agreed. This alleged mod looks a lot like the usual knee-jerk simplistic under-engineered golden ear mod.

Even if you think you're providing a public service, it's very rude to pee on someone's for-sale thread.

I can't think of a more apt place than the Logitech Audiophiles forum to place such an ad, and unless you can, then how about move the discussion to another thread.
    Last edited by darrenyeats; 2016-01-03 at 09:25.
    Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch

Quote Originally Posted by darrenyeats View Post
    Even if you think you're providing a public service, it's very rude to pee on someone's for-sale thread.
    I prefer to think of it as a preemptive caveat emptor.