Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Knob material deteriorating

I noticed that the knobs' surfaces, both the selector and the volume, are feeling sticky. Trying to clean them makes it worse. They are slowly disintegrating. I have seen it on three of the Squeezebox radios, especially one in a hot climate. Assuming this is a general problem, has anyone found third party replacements as Logitech does not provide parts any longer?

The knobs do not come off easily and I have resisted the temptation to pull hard out of fear I could break something. Grateful for advice.

Thank you,

Jochen

Quote Originally Posted by jdmeissner View Post
    I noticed that the knobs' surfaces, both the selector and the volume, are feeling sticky. Trying to clean them makes it worse. They are slowly disintegrating. I have seen it on three of the Squeezebox radios, especially one in a hot climate. Assuming this is a general problem, has anyone found third party replacements as Logitech does not provide parts any longer?

The knobs do not come off easily and I have resisted the temptation to pull hard out of fear I could break something. Grateful for advice.

Thank you,

Jochen
    You would have take off knobs, clean with isopropyl to remove rubber paint, then spray new rubber paint.

Thank you,

Jochen
    I had the same problem with one of my booms. A short term solution is talcum powder, it soaks up the sticky material and stops the knobs being unpleasant to touch. But they won't be as shiny and black afterwards.

The knobs do not come off easily and I have resisted the temptation to pull hard out of fear I could break something
    Hi all
    Got the same issue with a Radio we just got off eBay, does it just need a hard pull to remove?
    I can then clean/replace.

Cheers, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by earthbased View Post
    You would have take off knobs, clean with isopropyl to remove rubber paint, then spray new rubber paint.
    That is exactly what I have done.
    You have to be careful not to scratch the plastic surface during the rubbing-off.
    I did NOT add any new coating, so I will never have this problem again.
    The result is that it looks like the rubber coating has never been there...

Name:  SQBoxRadio.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  117.1 KB
    Max2Play, PiCoreplayer, 2 x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezebox Touch

Quote Originally Posted by tomsat50 View Post
    That is exactly what I have done.
    You have to be careful not to scratch the plastic surface during the rubbing-off.
    I did NOT add any new coating, so I will never have this problem again.
    The result is that it looks like the rubber coating has never been there...

Name:  SQBoxRadio.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  117.1 KB
    How did you remove the knobs?

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    How did you remove the knobs?

Yes, it is mandatory to remove them to be able to remove all of the rubber material. You have to pull the knobs straight off for which you need some force.
    Max2Play, PiCoreplayer, 2 x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezebox Touch

Quote Originally Posted by tomsat50 View Post
    Yes, it is mandatory to remove them to be able to remove all of the rubber material. You have to pull the knobs straight off for which you need some force.
    OK thanks, I'll try it on my affected Radio when I pluck up the courage.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk