Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Losing days of my life I'll never get back sorting out my tags :-) A question?

As above, finally getting around to it!

Squeezebox user from 2007, went PC based for a while using Jriver now back to LMS with my Transporter.
    Decided I need to sort my Tags out once and for all.
    Have a question re: multiple genre tags and the correct syntax for making them work in LMS?

Originally in LMS, my genre tags were simple, Rock, Pop or whatever...single entry.
    With Jriver I set up a "styles" tag which had multiple entries, seperated by a semicolon to give more detail.

So far, so good.

Jriver was set to write tags into the Flac files, so my "Styles" fields are all embedded in the files.
    I've extracted the "Genre" and "Styles" file tag info from Jriver as text and have imported it into MS Access where I can do a comparison between the two, see whats missing etc.

My question:
    Jriver has stored/exported the multiple entry tag "Styles" with a space between the tag and the semi colon like this:
    Female; Chillout; Easy Listening; Soppy
    *and not*
    Female;Chillout;Easy Listening;Soppy (No spaces between entries)

Does this space matter in LMS?
    Can I just copy and paste the above multi-tags (with the spaces) into LMS and it will still be ok?
    Have "rather a lot" of Flacs to do, would be a timesaver if I could just plug the "Styles" tags into "Genre" in LMS.

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Does this space matter in LMS?
    Can I just copy and paste the above multi-tags (with the spaces) into LMS and it will still be ok?
    Have "rather a lot" of Flacs to do, would be a timesaver if I could just plug the "Styles" tags into "Genre" in LMS.
    Many thanks
    yapp since lms is case sensitive as well you will get run in trouble...

I discovered a bug on my fav. tagging tool that adds trailing blanks to some genres and most of the players cant even detect these trailing blanks (vlc shows them)

But thats no big deal - sorry your using winblows and flacs two things i didnt use but there atre many tools that exports tags to a (text)file and can import tags from (text)files. Some of these tools and a simple change "; " against ";" is your friend.

MP3 Tag - find and replace?

Vorbis comments in flac files supports multiple instances of a tag so you can have more than one genre tag no need for a separator.

But you can tell LMS what separate you use in the settings and ";" is a often used one .

No idea if LMS will pickup and use styles tags ? The exact mapping to LMS lingo , may require you to either read the code or experiment .

Make a small library with only a handful of albums , try your scheme and see what it really do .

Many player programs seems to introduce their own subtle additions to the tagging mess , so be careful if something is jriver only or iTunes only or dBpoweramp only and actually LMS only .
    Make some decisions on how much you want to tweak your tagging to suit one playback application .

Sometimes it's not a problem if you do it rigth . LMS and squeezeboxes do support multiple genres and multiple artists Sonos do not for example . If intend to use the files on several playback systems , try the consequences there too . To see if it's acceptable on portable players and stuff .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Yes LMS and empty spaces , be aware that the web UI does not show double spaces even if they are in the tag . So you can get a bit confused I have removed some of those in my tags too .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I use JRiver MC too.

MC does not place Genre as a single semicolon-separated string; rather, it outputs multiple GENRE tags with individual values, as it should. So, you get all your Genres in LMS.

For other non-standard tags, if you create the field in MC as a STRING type, no spaces are added to your items. If you created the item as a LIST type, then the space is added by the UI when you enter the data. These are easy enough to modify in MC.

There are plug-ins (Erlands) that will allow you to use your Styles value in LMS.

You said you exported from MC to a spreadseet, to compare your genres and styles. You can do this within MC easily enough. You can also merge the two lists into a single list or value too.

You realize you can use both MC and LMS, right? I've been doing this for ages. I use MC for all librarian needs, for playback in various systems, even to control LMS sometimes, and also use LMS independently or via two iPad apps. Lots of possibilities... probably too many!

You can use a change query in MSAccess to change all instances of "semicolon space" to just semicolon .

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    As it happens, I was over complicating it...worry for nothing (and no chicks for free)

Jriver STYLES tag had the multiple genre descriptions, seperated by semi-colons.
    I assumed a problem as the fields were separated by an extra space.

Turns out - not so. Jriver to the rescue!
    In Jriver, (awesome for tagging btw) I copy-pasted the STYLES field into the GENRE field.
    As a test, I scanned that file into my LMS library and looked to see what had been picked up genre wise.

As you can see from the pic, info pasted into the GENRE field (WITH THE ADDITIONAL SPACE) has been picked up in LMS, even for AIFF files.
    Entries in the TCON field is picked up as Genre's in LMS.
    Most of my library is in AIFF format though, and I kinda assumed too that because of AIFFs lack of tagging flexibility compared to FLAC I would need to convert them all to FLAC to be picked up in LMS?
    Again not so, the file illustrated here is an AIFF.
    Problem solved.

Hope this helps someone else.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  145.3 KB
    Last edited by Gazjam; 2016-01-01 at 00:42.