Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Recoveryone View Post
    I guess the real question is, will there be an upgrade to the LMS, Tidal app, Touch or any other Squeezebox to support this file format in its native form for playback?
    I have an account and thinking about going with the HiFi package, but it would be a waste if I can't use it with my squeezebox system.
    you can use HiFi with squeezeboxen, and it sounds great.
    --
    4 TB Drobo-->FW 800-->mac mini-->Ethernet
    Transporter--> Wireworld Eclipse 6 coax-->Meridian G61
    G61--> Nordost Red Dawn-->Primare 30.3
    Primare-->Ocos--Vienna Acoustics Beethoven/Maestro

MQA with Squeezbox?

I guess the real question is, will there be an upgrade to the LMS, Tidal app, Touch or any other Squeezebox to support this file format in its native form for playback?
    I have an account and thinking about going with the HiFi package, but it would be a waste if I can't use it with my squeezebox system.
    If you've listened to or read any of Bob Stewart's (MQA creator) presentations, there are several component parts (some software based, others hardware based) to MQA. One of the best recent articles is by John Darko here: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...comment-140297.

Based on Darko's explanation, the best SB/LMS/ickStream users can hope for is for some software gurus/experts to write a patch/plugin (for SBT and/or LMS) which recognizes the MQA encoded file from TIDAL and performs the first (48kHz to 96kHz) 'decode' of the MQA's 'audio origami' technique.

"In other words, a 24bit/48kHz MQA file (standard currently available) streamed via the Tidal MQA-mod desktop app (insert possible modified SB here) will reach the downstream DAC as a 24bit/96kHz file, whether that DAC is MQA-certified or not" Darko.

MQA-certified DACs will decode higher resolutions files at the hardware level, up to 382.8kHz, IF that was encapsulated originally.

MQA files from TIDAL HiFi/Master are also said to benefit from correction of "the time domain smearing caused by the original A/D converter. Even if you don’t have an MQA DAC and you don’t have software that executes hi-res unfolding, an uptick in sound quality might still be heard, especially on a more resolving hifi system" Darko. I believe I may be hearing this.

My Dilemma: I was extraordinarily fortunate to come by a used PS Audio DL3 DAC, which together with Martin Logan Purity speakers, is so good, I'm reluctant to upgrade the DAC to something lesser that is MQA-certified.
    Last edited by DanSmedra; 2017-01-19 at 08:37.
    Source: TIDAL HiFi, Pandora One > MySqueezebox.com using iPeng 9.2.1 app on iPhone6s/iPad
    Great Room: SB Touch(1) > AudioQuest TOS > PS Audio DL3 DAC > Audio Envy 10' cables > 200w powered Martin Logan (ML) Purity speakers, SB Touch(2) >JVC 110w amp > ML Motion 4 & AudioEngine 5.
    Garage: SB Touch(3) > CullenCoax > Wyred mINT > Cullen Cables > ML Motion 12
    Carry Anywhere: TIDAL >iPhone 6s > Bose Mini BT speaker.
    Streaming Media: https://www.facebook.com/groups/535747176592597/

TIDAL/MQA is 2016

Quote Originally Posted by DanSmedra View Post

Based on Darko's explanation, the best SB/LMS/ickStream users can hope for is for some software gurus/experts to write a patch/plugin (for SBT and/or LMS) which recognizes the MQA encoded file from TIDAL and performs the first (48kHz to 96kHz) 'decode' of the MQA's 'audio origami' technique.

"In other words, a 24bit/48kHz MQA file (standard currently available) streamed via the Tidal MQA-mod desktop app (insert possible modified SB here) will reach the downstream DAC as a 24bit/96kHz file, whether that DAC is MQA-certified or not" Darko.
    I'm not sure on this point to be honest - not if you have an MQA dac. I have a Meridian Explorer connected via EDO, which doesn't require any software decoding of the MQA material. The passthrough option in the Tidal app switches off software decoding, i can do this with a laptop - Explorer2 setup, works well. The question for LMS and the Squeezebox chain is how to access this undecoded stream via the Tidal app and pass it on bit perfect to the player - edo out - explorer (or other mqa dac), for full decoding.

Granted a software solution in LMS would be welcome but that is not the only restriction for those of us with appropriate DAC's.

Who Wrote the TIDAL app for Squeezebox?

I have confirmed that the TIDAL MQA Master quality tracks can be partially decoded (one unfold to 24bit/96kHz + the benefit of correction for the time domain smearing caused by the original A/D converter) via TIDAL's desktop app (Windows or Mac).

Rumor has it that hi-res playback software applications (e.g. Roon, Amarra, and Audirvana) are being modified to take similar advantage of this " uptick in sound quality."

So the questions seems to be, who worked on the TIDAL app for Squeezebox (Logitech, TIDAL, or combo), who is capable of doing modifications for MQA today, and are they 'in the works'?

Modification to the TIDAL plugin would eliminate the need to use a laptop in place of SBT and thus extend the life of our Logitech products. Volunteers?

Happy User Steven Stone: http://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-d...dal-rules.html
    Last edited by DanSmedra; 2017-01-20 at 09:08.
    Source: TIDAL HiFi, Pandora One > MySqueezebox.com using iPeng 9.2.1 app on iPhone6s/iPad
    Great Room: SB Touch(1) > AudioQuest TOS > PS Audio DL3 DAC > Audio Envy 10' cables > 200w powered Martin Logan (ML) Purity speakers, SB Touch(2) >JVC 110w amp > ML Motion 4 & AudioEngine 5.

So the questions seems to be, who worked on the TIDAL app for Squeezebox (Logitech, TIDAL, or combo), who is capable of doing modifications for MQA today, and are they 'in the works'?
    I am rather sceptical about MQA licensing a squeezebox implementation.

Modification to the TIDAL plugin would eliminate the need to use a laptop in place of SBT and thus extend the life of our Logitech products. Volunteers?
    Or we could just wait for MQA to become the next DVD-audio or 3DTV....
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Or we could just wait for MQA to become the next DVD-audio or 3DTV....
    The sooner the better.
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - RPi 2/Max2Play > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - Radio
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3

I don't think MQA will go the way of DVD-A, since its main audience is the download fan base. The download fan base is the largest group of audio listening today, so for a format that can offer a better SQ than Mp3 AND ITunes will finally open up the ears of a generation that has no clue of the differences between Vinyl/CD/SACD/DVD-A compared to Mp3 and ITunes. Its a win win for all of us as the projected usage and demand will increase.
    1st Touch in main HT rig hardwired to router connected

2nd Touch Wirelessly connected (Master Bedroom)

3rd Touch Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

4th Touch wirelessly connected (bedroom)

5th Touch 2 Wirelessly connected (livingroom)

6th Touch 4 Wirelessly connected (downstairs bedroom)

Server (In garage)
    running on Duo Core P4 3.0 GHz 8 gig ram
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit
    350 Xternal gigHD
    1.5 TB backup
    Verizon Fios wireless router w/HG antana

I don't think MQA will go the way of DVD-A, since its main audience is the download fan base. The download fan base is the largest group of audio listening today, so for a format that can offer a better SQ than Mp3 AND ITunes will finally open up the ears of a generation that has no clue of the differences between Vinyl/CD/SACD/DVD-A compared to Mp3 and ITunes. Its a win win for all of us as the projected usage and demand will increase.
    The free and non-license-encumbered lossless FLAC format offers the same sound quality as MQA. If amount of data is an issue, MP3 offers a significant saving in amount of data transmitted, so it is still relevant where people pay for download traffic or have limited storage.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    The free and non-license-encumbered lossless FLAC format offers the same sound quality as MQA. If amount of data is an issue, MP3 offers a significant saving in amount of data transmitted, so it is still relevant where people pay for download traffic or have limited storage.
    Your first sentence (assertion) is at odds with everything I've read about MQA over the past two years. Your second statement suggests you're not aware of the issues. Numerous articles are available to read and become educated.

Your first sentence (assertion) is at odds with everything I've read about MQA over the past two years.
    Then you must have been reading very selectively.

Your second statement suggests you're not aware of the issues. Numerous articles are available to read and become educated.
    I am quite aware of the issues MQA purports to address. I am just not convinced it addresses them very successfully. If you disagree,
    I would love to hear your views.