Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

TIDAL/MQA is 2016

TIDAL is set to roll out MQA streaming shortly, with no increase in subscription cost. http://www.whathifi.com/news/tidal-t...eaming-in-2016

Are any of our coding gurus (mherger, pippin, triode, erland, etc.) for Squeezebox, MySqueezebox, ickStream at work to see this happen in this realm?

Are there royalty or licencing issues at the player level?
    Last edited by DanSmedra; 2015-12-24 at 08:06.
    Source: TIDAL HiFi, Pandora One > MySqueezebox.com using iPeng 9.2.1 app on iPhone6s/iPad
    Great Room: SB Touch(1) > AudioQuest TOS > PS Audio DL3 DAC > Audio Envy 10' cables > 200w powered Martin Logan (ML) Purity speakers, SB Touch(2) >JVC 110w amp > ML Motion 4 & AudioEngine 5.
    Garage: SB Touch(3) > CullenCoax > Wyred mINT > Cullen Cables > ML Motion 12
    Carry Anywhere: TIDAL >iPhone 6s > Bose Mini BT speaker.
    Streaming Media: https://www.facebook.com/groups/535747176592597/

Quote Originally Posted by DanSmedra View Post
    Are there royalty or licencing issues at the player level?
    Considering it is a totally closed technology, the answer is most likely to be "yes".
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Pass through not working. :(

Hi Everyone,

I use a Mytek Brooklyn with built-in MQA decoding. I was hoping that the Tidal plugin would pass-through but it won't.

MQA data is typically 48/24, but the DAC says it's still getting 44/16 streaming MQA from Tidal.

I'm wondering if there is a simple fix? The plugin does not need to decode MQA, just pass it along like any other PCM stream.

Ideas?

Best,

E

Quote Originally Posted by totoroBounced View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I use a Mytek Brooklyn with built-in MQA decoding. I was hoping that the Tidal plugin would pass-through but it won't.

MQA data is typically 48/24, but the DAC says it's still getting 44/16 streaming MQA from Tidal.

I'm wondering if there is a simple fix? The plugin does not need to decode MQA, just pass it along like any other PCM stream.

Ideas?

Best,

E
    I wonder whether it might be possible to use waveinput plugin if you had the tidal desktop application running on the same device as LMS?

Quote Originally Posted by totoroBounced View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Ideas?

Best,

E
    There are some settings you have to change within Tidal. I think what you're after is at the bottom of this post.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...re-are-we-now/

Quote Originally Posted by daverich4 View Post
    There are some settings you have to change within Tidal. I think what you're after is at the bottom of this post.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...re-are-we-now/
    that's for the desktop application, not the LMS plugin.

i'm actually a little surprised, since i thought the SB would just see a 24/48 FLAC container and pass it along via the digital out.

which player and output are you using? i wonder if there's a setting amiss in File Types?

i've been listening to the MQA files via my transporter, not decoded of course, but to my ears they sound superior to the same album in non MQA format. the non-MQA Tidal files are 16/44, these should be 24/48.
    --
    4 TB Drobo-->FW 800-->mac mini-->Ethernet
    Transporter--> Wireworld Eclipse 6 coax-->Meridian G61
    G61--> Nordost Red Dawn-->Primare 30.3
    Primare-->Ocos--Vienna Acoustics Beethoven/Maestro

Quote Originally Posted by netchord View Post
    i've been listening to the MQA files via my transporter, not decoded of course, but to my ears they sound superior to the same album in non MQA format.
    That indicates that the source material is different (mastering/EQ/whatever), as undecoded MQA should sound the same as the non-MQA file if the source material is identical.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Pass trough to mqa able DAC should work ? I think someone has testet this with files already ?

Must be a tidal setting ( or file types settting ) or some specific to tidal app

And i expect that replay gain or any other volume than 100% to break the decoding .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    That indicates that the source material is different (mastering/EQ/whatever), as undecoded MQA should sound the same as the non-MQA file if the source material is identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by netchord
    the non-MQA Tidal files are 16/44, these should be 24/48.
    i suspect this is the reason.
    --
    4 TB Drobo-->FW 800-->mac mini-->Ethernet
    Transporter--> Wireworld Eclipse 6 coax-->Meridian G61
    G61--> Nordost Red Dawn-->Primare 30.3
    Primare-->Ocos--Vienna Acoustics Beethoven/Maestro

I guess the real question is, will there be an upgrade to the LMS, Tidal app, Touch or any other Squeezebox to support this file format in its native form for playback?
    I have an account and thinking about going with the HiFi package, but it would be a waste if I can't use it with my squeezebox system.
    1st Touch in main HT rig hardwired to router connected

2nd Touch Wirelessly connected (Master Bedroom)

3rd Touch Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

4th Touch wirelessly connected (bedroom)

5th Touch 2 Wirelessly connected (livingroom)

6th Touch 4 Wirelessly connected (downstairs bedroom)

Server (In garage)
    running on Duo Core P4 3.0 GHz 8 gig ram
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit
    350 Xternal gigHD
    1.5 TB backup
    Verizon Fios wireless router w/HG antana