Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks All

The Missions are wall mounted so Im going to get them down tonight and try the swap over to see if that makes any difference.

Toby - no idea I dont think so? its a Marantz Pm5005 if that helps? Sorry knew to all this stuff.

cheers

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by technium View Post
    Thanks Ronnie

Its not one speaker its one pair of speakers that is of lower volume and that pair is the brand new Wharfedale Diamonds that I just purchased from Richer sounds so I thought they would be ok.

Colin, if you look in the amp manual (rtfm) it will most likely advise that if using speaker outlet A and speaker outlet B together, that the speakers should be of the same input impedance. This means that the volume will be level matched at the speaker, which effectively means using the same speaker brand in both rooms.

Different speaker brands have a different efficiency so the volume they produce at the same level setting on the amp is likely to be different

This is the spec for the Diamonds

Sensitivity (dB)
    The higher the figure the easier it is to drive - meaning that a less powerful amp may be used

Impedance (ohms)
    Resistance. A standard figure is 8 ohm. Figure halves when doubling the number of speakers
    If you look up the same spec for the Mission speakers it will tell you if the volume should be comparable to the Diamonds, or not>

ronnie.

Thanks Ronnie, when I get the Missions off the wall I will then have an idea of what I have.

I will post back after with the results.

thanks all

Colin

Thanks Ronnie, when I get the Missions off the wall I will then have an idea of what I have.

I will post back after with the results.

thanks all

Colin

Colin, looking at your amp specs, it says

SPEAKERS A and SPEAKERS B 4 (two sets) 8 – 16 Ω/ohms
    This means that when you play speaker A and B at the same time the impedance of the speakers used should be in the range of 8-16 ohms.

For the Diamond the impedance is given at 6 ohm (this will be an average figure, I guess).

It also says that if you run two sets of Diamonds the load seen by the amp will be 4 ohm.

The range for the amp is 8-16 ohm, so it will struggle a bit at high volume.

You need to find the figures for the Mission speakers and then go back to Richer Sounds and explain the problem.

The salesman should have explained this to you (if you told him what you wanted to do).

Let us know how you get on.

Ronnie

If both sets of speakers have a similar impedance figure, the the difference in volume will be accounted for by the Sensitivity figure (one set being an easier load for the amplifier and so a little louder at the sams volume setting.
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2016-01-15 at 07:49.

It could be somewhat mitigated by placing the not so loud speakers in the smallest room . Or is any of the locations more well damped than the other ,then maybe the loudest speakers go here .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

ok guys here the update -

disconnected Missions from amp completely and played WDs on their own to a "normal" volume then disconnected the WDs and used the same speaker cable but connected them to the Missions and played the music and still pretty much same volume (or at least I couldnt really notice much difference) so then wife said to put WDs in living room on the cable the Missions were connected to and left the Missions connected in the Gym Room then tested again but this time both sounded great, they appear to be at the same level in volume so maybe it was either a dodgy connection which I fixed by fitting all cables with Banana plugs or like you guys suggested that having it in a different room made a difference.

FYI the Missions are 8 Ohms and the WDs are 6 Ohms but in the setup they are now seems to be ok although obviously this hasnt been tested for any length of time yet.

Thanks again for all your help.

Colin

ok got another slight issue

I purchased some second hand Mission M72s which arrived this morning. Unfortunately they dont come with that metal piece which connects the two posts together for each input. Anyway I made up some wire to connect up the two + posts and another piece to connect up the two - posts but the music is pants, its very tinney and very low.

Have I got the connections right? They guy I bought them from said he had them set up for bi-wire which is why theres no posts but i think ive connected them up right havent i? as soon as I connect up the Wharfedales the sound is spot on again.

Help!

Also where could I buy the replacement metal connector from and whats its proper name?

thanks

Colin

Have I got the connections right? They guy I bought them from said he had them set up for bi-wire which is why theres no posts but i think ive connected them up right havent i? as soon as I connect up the Wharfedales the sound is spot on again.

Help!

Also where could I buy the replacement metal connector from and whats its proper name?

thanks

Colin

Hi,

this is a bunch of questions that some Forum for your Speakers or the seller you've got them from.
    The Thread "is Squeezebox for me" isnt the right place for this specific question.

I purchased some second hand Mission M72s which arrived this morning. Unfortunately they dont come with that metal piece which connects the two posts together for each input. Anyway I made up some wire to connect up the two + posts and another piece to connect up the two - posts but the music is pants, its very tinney and very low.

Help!

thanks

Colin
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Hi,

this is a bunch of questions that some Forum for your Speakers or the seller you've got them from.
    The Thread "is Squeezebox for me" isnt the right place for this specific question.
    Colin, Jan is right (although I understand why you ask here).

PM me an e-mail address and I'll sort you out.

I'm a bit short of time at the moment, but will do my best if you are patient.

If you go and join http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum.php

You will get your answer and some proper abuse, if your lucky

Ronnie

If they are the same model as the ones you have already, then the connections should be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Any chance the Marantz offers gain/db settings per channel or speaker pair? My 8 year old Yamaha does but I haven't had to mess with it since initial setup.
    I have a denon and a marantz that offer that too
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express