X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • technium
    • Dec 2015

Is Squeezebox for me?

Hi All

I have only just come across the Squeezebox range and was wondering if its something I could use for what I want.

I have several digital music files stored either on the main pc but also on a NAS storage device. I have already got a touch screen monitor running pub software on a pc and use this as a touch screen jukebox which is then hooked up to a cheapish amp and speakers but this is too bulky and not useable in another room.

I would like to be able to have something like the SBTouch in the living room but also another way to control my music from another room such as the gym room so can I link two SBTouches and if so is there a cheaper solution than buying two devices? I understand the SBTouch connects via rca leads to the amp so not exactly portable hence the need to another device in another room, unless of course ive got it all wrong?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

thanks

Colin
  • castalla
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by technium
    Hi All

I have only just come across the Squeezebox range and was wondering if its something I could use for what I want.

I have several digital music files stored either on the main pc but also on a NAS storage device. I have already got a touch screen monitor running pub software on a pc and use this as a touch screen jukebox which is then hooked up to a cheapish amp and speakers but this is too bulky and not useable in another room.

I would like to be able to have something like the SBTouch in the living room but also another way to control my music from another room such as the gym room so can I link two SBTouches and if so is there a cheaper solution than buying two devices? I understand the SBTouch connects via rca leads to the amp so not exactly portable hence the need to another device in another room, unless of course ive got it all wrong?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

thanks

Colin
    So, you want audio playback in two rooms?
    If so, then you need 2 players (eg. Touch, SB Radio (which doesn't require an amp), and other 3rd party devices, such as a Chromecast, etc.).

An alternative is to use a tablet/smartphone with squeezebox player software on it to play via device speakers (headphones, etc). You can also install an app to control the whole SB system.

Be more specific and somebody will be able to advise.

ps: bear in mind that SB devices are no longer manufactured, and finding a 'new' device can be difficult at a reasonable price.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• technium
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by castalla
      So, you want audio playback in two rooms?
      If so, then you need 2 players (eg. Touch, SB Radio (which doesn't require an amp), and other 3rd party devices, such as a Chromecast, etc.).

An alternative is to use a tablet/smartphone with squeezebox player software on it to play via device speakers (headphones, etc). You can also install an app to control the whole SB system.

Be more specific and somebody will be able to advise.

ps: bear in mind that SB devices are no longer manufactured, and finding a 'new' device can be difficult at a reasonable price.
      Hi thanks for replying

Yes I want to be able to play music in several rooms but also control music in at least two different rooms. The same music will be played so im not trying to play one track in the gym room and another track in the living room. I just want to be able to easily play my music and change tracks while on the treadmill running but also be able to change tracks etc from a device in the living room aswell. I currently have a switch box for my speakers so can turn them all on and off individually for each room.

As they are no longer manufactured is there something that has replaced the squeezebox that does the job just as well? I have seen a few on online auction sites so that would be the route I would have to go to buy one should I decide the SB would do what I need.

thanks again

Colin

Comment

• castalla
        • Feb 2008

Hi thanks for replying

Yes I want to be able to play music in several rooms but also control music in at least two different rooms. The same music will be played so im not trying to play one track in the gym room and another track in the living room. I just want to be able to easily play my music and change tracks while on the treadmill running but also be able to change tracks etc from a device in the living room aswell. I currently have a switch box for my speakers so can turn them all on and off individually for each room.

As they are no longer manufactured is there something that has replaced the squeezebox that does the job just as well? I have seen a few on online auction sites so that would be the route I would have to go to buy one should I decide the SB would do what I need.

thanks again

Colin
        Sounds like you need to consider the smartphone (as a controller) route. There are several android apps and an iphone app (ipeng) - either free or very low cost. Players, as above, range from the original SB devices to DIY units (based on the raspberry pi). Only the Touch and Radio have onboard displays.

In theory, you can sync devices to play the same material - I'm no expert on the sync. process.

Also, bear in mind that you also need to install the Logitech Media Server software on a networked PC (or some NAS devices allow for LMS install).

The alternatives I'd consider are Sonos speakers (2 for 400 usd) or the new 30 usd Chromecast Audio device (which needs active speakers, or an amp plus passive speakers). Both these require a tablet/smartphone as a controller.
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• technium
          • Dec 2015

Sounds like you need to consider the smartphone (as a controller) route. There are several android apps and an iphone app (ipeng) - either free or very low cost. Players, as above, range from the original SB devices to DIY units (based on the raspberry pi). Only the Touch and Radio have onboard displays.

In theory, you can sync devices to play the same material - I'm no expert on the sync. process.

Also, bear in mind that you also need to install the Logitech Media Server software on a networked PC (or some NAS devices allow for LMS install).

The alternatives I'd consider are Sonos speakers (2 for 400 usd) or the new 30 usd Chromecast Audio device (which needs active speakers, or an amp plus passive speakers). Both these require a tablet/smartphone as a controller.
          Thanks Castalla,

OK I think the Touch sounds like the correct device and I guess im right in thinking that this device connects to my amp and my amp then connects to the speakers, theres no speakers connected to the SBTouch? I can then control the SB Touch with an iphone app from another room which then gives me access to my music from both locations and this would then mean I wont need two devices and wont need to worry about the sync process. Does that sound correct?

the LMS will be installed on either the main pc (probably best solution) or on either my Buffalo Terastation or Netgear NAS, either way that seems like a basic job right??

You mention alternatives but I shouldnt need them if my option just mentioned works should I as I can use my existing amp and speaker setup with the SBTouch.

thanks again

Colin

Comment

• castalla
            • Feb 2008

Thanks Castalla,

OK I think the Touch sounds like the correct device and I guess im right in thinking that this device connects to my amp and my amp then connects to the speakers, theres no speakers connected to the SBTouch? I can then control the SB Touch with an iphone app from another room which then gives me access to my music from both locations and this would then mean I wont need two devices and wont need to worry about the sync process. Does that sound correct?

the LMS will be installed on either the main pc (probably best solution) or on either my Buffalo Terastation or Netgear NAS, either way that seems like a basic job right??

You mention alternatives but I shouldnt need them if my option just mentioned works should I as I can use my existing amp and speaker setup with the SBTouch.

thanks again

Colin
            The Touch requires an amp+speakers (or active speakers).

IPeng is a controller (and I think it's also a player - you need to check in the iPeng thread - http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...support-thread). If you want the same music playing simultaneously on the devices then they have to be sync'ed - otherwise each device can be controlled independently via the controller.

The Touch can also act as a controller for other devices.
            Last edited by castalla; 2015-12-22, 14:09.

Comment

• technium
              • Dec 2015

The Touch requires an amp+speakers (or active speakers).

IPeng is a controller (and I think it's also a player - you need to check in the iPeng thread - http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...support-thread). If you want the same music playing simultaneously on the devices then they have to be sync'ed - otherwise each device can be controlled independently via the controller.

The Touch can also act as a controller for other devices.
              ok thanks, the Touch will be connected to main home amp+speakers

I will read up on IPeng but I will use that then to control the one and only Touch so that will give me access to the music from the other room but still only use the 1 device.

I just want the same music playing through all my speakers throughout the house which will be connected to the 1 Amp that the Touch is connected to so the synce wont be an issue as its only one device.

thanks again for your help, now just need to start looking to purchase an SB Touch.

cheers and Have a good Christmas

Colin

Comment

• castalla
                • Feb 2008

I will read up on IPeng but I will use that then to control the one and only Touch so that will give me access to the music from the other room but still only use the 1 device.

I just want the same music playing through all my speakers throughout the house which will be connected to the 1 Amp that the Touch is connected to so the synce wont be an issue as its only one device.

thanks again for your help, now just need to start looking to purchase an SB Touch.

Colin
                Sounds good. Good luck with the Touch search. Enjoy Christmas

Comment

• RonM
                  • Apr 2008

Colin
                  I don't know what access you have to a Touch, but the online prices are quite high. The Transporter is an older but higher end device, originally much more expensive. I do see now that some versions of the Transporter have come down in price, for new units. Still more than a Touch, but worth considering. More flexible, and more cool looking if that matters. Possibly a better DAC amd the build quality is generally excellent. You control it in the same way, although it doesn't have its own touch screen.

Ron
                  LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
                  Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
                  Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
                  Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
                  Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
                  Radio (WiFi) - home office
                  Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
                  Touch x 1 - spare
                  UE Radio x 1 - spare
                  Boom x 1 - spare
                  Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

• technium
                    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by RonM
                    I don't know what access you have to a Touch, but the online prices are quite high. The Transporter is an older but higher end device, originally much more expensive. I do see now that some versions of the Transporter have come down in price, for new units. Still more than a Touch, but worth considering. More flexible, and more cool looking if that matters. Possibly a better DAC amd the build quality is generally excellent. You control it in the same way, although it doesn't have its own touch screen.

Ron
                    Thanks I did see the Transporter but at £700+ over here its out of my price range.

thanks

Colin

Comment

• Man in a van
                      • Jan 2011

Thanks I did see the Transporter but at £700+ over here its out of my price range.

thanks

Colin
                      Colin, you don't say where you live.

A cheaper alternative might be a Raspberry PI B2 running Max2Play with either a DAC or SPDIF output (and LMS installed).

If you are going to control it with a 'phone app, then you don't need a screen, but I believe a version incorporating a display is available.

Ronnie
                      Last edited by Man in a van; 2015-12-23, 09:41.

Comment

• Super Josh
                        • Sep 2006

Colin,

I would just buy a Chromecast Audio device at around 30 quid. Doesn't have a display like the touch but is a lot cheaper and you can control it with iPeng and stream music from your LMS server okay.

Josh

Comment

• d6jg
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Super Josh
                          Colin,

I would just buy a Chromecast Audio device at around 30 quid. Doesn't have a display like the touch but is a lot cheaper and you can control it with iPeng and stream music from your LMS server okay.

Josh
                          Nothing wrong with a CCA except it doesn't (yet) do gapless playback or can be sync'd. I have one but I'd have to say it doesn't sound as good as a Rasp Pi 2B with either a Hifiberry or IQaudio DAC - both of the Pi's just sound cleaner.
                          Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                          Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                          Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
                          Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
                          Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                          Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                          Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• RonM
                            • Apr 2008

I sae a Transporter SE for US$640 plus shipping. New.

Ron
                            LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
                            Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
                            Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
                            Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
                            Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
                            Radio (WiFi) - home office
                            Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
                            Touch x 1 - spare
                            UE Radio x 1 - spare
                            Boom x 1 - spare
                            Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

• Super Josh
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by RonM
                              I sae a Transporter SE for US$640 plus shipping. New.

Ron
                              That is around £430 + Shipping + the dreaded import/VAT fees. So getting on for between £500 - £600

Josh

Comment

Working...