Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMS Versions

LMS Versions

Hi All

New user here so be gentle with me :-)

OK, so in the last month i've bought a Microserver, installed Windows 7 and LMS 7.8.0.

I've also bought a Touch which has upgraded itself to 7.8.0 as would be expected.

Well on the way to having my CD collection ripped to flac using EAC and tag tidying using MP3TAG.

All done taking advice found on this forum.

System is working perfectly - very impressed... and pleased.

So, question.

I have read about 7.8.1 which i believe is just a bug-fixed edition of 7.8.0.

I've alaso read about 7.9 which is full of new features and functionality. And i've read about 7.9 nightly builds which i guess are bug-fixed editions of 7.9.

My question is should i upgrade to trhe latest nightly build of 7.9? I'd like as a priority the same reliability (as opposed to new functionality) as i really like the way it works now.

Thanks in advance.

Now off to find a duet on fleabay for my dining room...

Quote Originally Posted by peterguk View Post
    I have read about 7.8.1 which i believe is just a bug-fixed edition of 7.8.0.

I've alaso read about 7.9 which is full of new features and functionality. And i've read about 7.9 nightly builds which i guess are bug-fixed editions of 7.9.
    Hi,

7.8.1 is better and lives (gets some nightly updates) 7.8 is static
    7.9 is nightly runs much better and has more features without needing more ressources (in fact it needs less then 7.8 on big librarys.)- maybe something gets broken but its fixed on next day.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Hi,

7.8.1 is better and lives (gets some nightly updates) 7.8 is static
    7.9 is nightly runs much better and has more features without needing more ressources (in fact it needs less then 7.8 on big librarys.)- maybe something gets broken but its fixed on next day.
    As a beginner I'd suggest avoiding 7.9 at this stage. As Jan says it does get broken from time as it really is the development branch. It very much depends on how computer literate you are.

EDIT
    I wouldn't choose a Duet. Normally you need a Controller to set it up which you will then never use. There is a way of setting it up without a Controller but its fiddly. A Touch is a better bet and if you haven't already and have iThingy's then try iPeng - it completes the picture
    Last edited by d6jg; 2015-12-16 at 07:22.
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    As a beginner I'd suggest avoiding 7.9 at this stage. As Jan says it does get broken from time as it really is the development branch. It very much depends on how computer literate you are.
    I'm not sure about the advice to avoid 7.9, for a beginner. It has substantial advantages, and the risk is low. I believe the current posted version is very stable.

Even though I've been doing this for years, I still sometimes struggle to find exactly where to download official current versions or the unofficial ones (7.9). You can find it if you dig in the stickies, but it's not obvious. Perhaps someone could post exact locations for all, with a title making that clear, and then it could be made a sticky.

r.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Thanks for your replies guys.

Maybe tonight i'll have a play with 7.9.

BTW, my Touch came with the original remote and a Controller, so a duet can be hidden away in the dining room and used easily with the Controller.

As a long time/multi-device user, first time(?) poster, I would add that iPeng is a MUST BUY if you use Apple products.

Words cannot describe how good it is and if Logitech ever decides to 'get back in the business' they should offer Pippin a whole lot of money to buy the rights to include a license for it! (Please don't *sell* the rights to source code though ;->)

Like many of us within these forums, I have owned (other that Radio) or do own many of the devices. If you have multiple device in your house, the Touch/Controller can control them all. But iPeng allows you to do so from your iDevice, making it VERY mobile.

I personally prefer the v3 over the Duet combo, as the v3 has a local display - that way you don't experience the 'lost remote' / 'what the hell song is playing' syndrome.

Just my 2-cents

+1
    IPeng turns a good system into a great system
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Duet is good for a guest room

Quote Originally Posted by markm9999 View Post

I personally prefer the v3 over the Duet combo, as the v3 has a local display - that way you don't experience the 'lost remote' / 'what the hell song is playing' syndrome.

Just my 2-cents
    The duet does have some unique useful features.

The duet remote is a simple interface for guests -- esp. those with Android phones, but even for iPhone users, it's nice not to have to download and learn to use a new app (that said, I agree with the previous posters that iPeng is the best control option if you have an iPhone).

Also, with the remote you don't have to be close to the receiver (like the v3) to see what you're doing. So the receiver can stay close to the rest of the playback equipment, wherever that needs to be in the room, and the controller can be wherever is convenient at any time.

What is the difference between the Windows executable and the Windows Home server?

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    for LMS 7.9, what is the difference between the "Windows executable" and the "Windows Home Server"?