Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: Hidden Tracks

Hidden Tracks

What do people think is the best way of dealing with hidden tracks i.e.those that appear at the end of an album after X mins of silence?
    Assume that we are trying to end up with a lossless format track(s) with no silence.
    I read somewhere that editing a FLAC with Audacity isn't advisable but unsure why.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    What do people think is the best way of dealing with hidden tracks i.e.those that appear at the end of an album after X mins of silence?
    Assume that we are trying to end up with a lossless format track(s) with no silence.
    I read somewhere that editing a FLAC with Audacity isn't advisable but unsure why.
    Just a few days back i had mentioned elsewhere how i like it

I like the idea that if i simply play back the album it behaves the way it was meant.
    To have more control over it while i actively listen i prefer to be able to skip the silence, play the main track in loop without silence or play the hidden track directly.
    I split the last track in 3 parts like Main Track, (Siilence) and Hidden Track with a wav editor i trust.
    Be sure to split at cd frame boundaries or fix it for the 3 resulting files with something like SBE fix in Little Traders Helper.
    The last track will now consist of 3 files and 3 indexes in the CUE.
    Grigory Chudovs CUEtools interprets this correctly and can verify the cd as before against the AR database
    EAC can write it fine with the new CUE and indexes.

Example for Placebo (2000) Black Market Music
    TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "Narcoleptic"
    PERFORMER "Placebo"
    INDEX 00 03:42:33
    FILE "11. Narcoleptic.wav" WAVE
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "Peeping Tom / Black Market Blood"
    PERFORMER "Placebo"
    INDEX 00 04:21:37
    FILE "12. Peeping Tom _ Black Market Blood.wav" WAVE
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Becomes:
    TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "Narcoleptic"
    PERFORMER "Placebo"
    INDEX 00 03:42:33
    FILE "11. Narcoleptic.wav" WAVE
    TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "Peeping Tom / Black Market Blood"
    PERFORMER "Placebo"
    INDEX 00 04:21:37
    FILE "12. Peeping Tom.wav" WAVE
    FILE "13. (Silence).wav" WAVE
    INDEX 02 00:00:00
    FILE "14. Black Market Blood (Hidden Track).wav" WAVE
    INDEX 03 00:00:00

Edit: I have not tested how LMS treats this when you use CUE based playback.
    Edit2: You may also leave out the silence file and zip it away for restoring later easily with CUEtools. And one pointless thing i do is looking at the other songs of the album searching for a pattern to have similar times where music starts and ends. But that is at the edge me wondering how wacko...
    Last edited by Wombat; 2015-12-15 at 20:08.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers