Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Back to the OP,

I was in the process of dealing with the issue of Classical music in my collection, but I only got as far as dealing with the tags. I use FLAC files and MP3Tag to tag them.

As a start, I basically created or filled tags that were there or I custom created for classical music. The purpose was to create a sort of unspoiled record of the original metadata for the CD/Album/Recording. For instance,
    I fill tags for CONDUCTOR, COMPOSER, WORK, OPUS, MOVEMENT, PERFORMER, etc

More common tags I fill directly are BAND (used for the orchestra), STYLE and GENRE (to capture the genre of classical music or type of music, e.g. symphony, concerto, boroque, romantic, etc.... whatever makes sense to me).

Then I use MP3Tag actions to combine bits and pieces of the information above into the Album, Artist, Title, etc. In other-words I get the information into a format that most software can read.

For instance, Artist gets filled as multiple artists per track with Conductor, Composer, Performer (soloist for instance), and perhaps Orchestra. Album often gets a combination of "Composer - Work", Song Title gets "Movement", Album Artist often gets "Conductor".

As for LMS, my original intent was to use some of the plugins available (for LMS 7.8) to create a separate library for my classical music (I store it in its own Folder Tree) and browse menus so that I can browse as I made sense. In the meantime, by filling the typical tags, I've been able to utilize those with the standard menus. I never got very far with my custom menus. I was using some plugins by Erland, but I never got very far into a testing phase with much success. I struggled to keep the classical music and its features separate from my mainstream music.

I do see that there may be more flexibility with LMS 7.9, but I haven't tried it, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
    I do see that there may be more flexibility with LMS 7.9, but I haven't tried it, yet.
    Is there? I'm trying to recall what changes in 7.9 might benefit classical music organization. I know that recognition of a few SORT fields have been added, such as COMPOSERSORT. And you can more easily browse both an ALBUMARTIST and an ARTIST list now. Maybe the latter can be used somehow by getting creative with your tagging.

I'm sorry. I meant that 7.9 sounds a little more flexible or easier to set up multiple libraries, not with regard to classical music or different fields.

I still run 7.8, so I don't know for sure about 7.9. I tried it once a year ago, but I couldn't get it to run correctly.

In my 7.8 setup, I use Erland's "Custom Browse" and "Custom Scan" plugin to give me the flexibility to browse fields as I wish, although life prevented me from getting the classical menus to where I've envisioned. I mostly use a STYLE tag and an ALBUM ARTIST based view to get some of what I wanted. I planned on having Composer, Conductor, and Orchestra based menus but never got around to it.

The parts I mentioned where I fill in song titles, albums, artists, album artists, genre, etc. from the custom tags have sufficed, albeit not perfectly. I've just not been able to successfully keep the browsing clear. Filling in albums, artists, etc this way make some of the menus contaminated even when the multiple library plugin I use in 7.8 reflects the criteria correctly. But, that is a whole different issue I'll deal with some day.

As an aside, I had planned on setting up a separate library and browsing system for Jazz music, which I typically have more of than Classical. I wanted to somehow put together metadata to capture performers and their instruments. That's a bit more abstract thinking than I expected mostly because some performers play more than one instrument throughout their career, and I want to be able to browse by instrument/performer as well as by performer/instrument. It gets a little tricky when you have multiple performers on tracks.

But, if I ever had time to figure it out, I could put something similar to use for classical.

Ultimately, I think it's more about the tagging than the server.

How to organize library

The usual tagging by artist is quite useless for classical music. You want to search by composer. Even though there is a composer tag, LMS does not categorize by that properly. The solution is to put the composer into the artist tag field. E. G., Bartók, Béla
    If an album is a collection of small pieces by different composers and a single artist, I put the performer in the Album Artist field, and label each track with the Artist = composer of the track

Quote Originally Posted by jarome View Post
    The usual tagging by artist is quite useless for classical music. You want to search by composer. Even though there is a composer tag, LMS does not categorize by that properly.
    I'm using only the composer tag for the composer, the (album)artist tag for the (album)artist and the conductor tag for the conductor. I never experienced any problems with the LMS: I have three lists with albumartist, composer and conductor. When I search for an artists, LMS looks for composer and conductor, too. So, what do you mean by "LMS does not categorize by that proberly"?

Quote Originally Posted by jarome View Post
    The solution is to put the composer into the artist tag field. E. G., Bartók, Béla
    I always use BÚla Bartˇk. But if you want to use the hungarian spelling it's just Bartˇk BÚla (without the ","). If you just use Bartók, Béla to have it sorted right in the composer list, you should know that LMS supports many sort tags: artistsort, albumartistsort, composersort, conductorsort.

To my mind, the fields "composer" and "conductor" work just as they are supposed to. Nope, the problem is not the artist fields, but the fact that they are bound to the category "album". Classical music, however, does not work like that! For classical music I would like to be able to sort by "work".

Quote Originally Posted by vanye View Post
    For classical music I would like to be able to sort by "work".
    There is no WORK/COMPOSITION tag. I put this information in the ALBUM tag; e.g. <Piano Concerto 5 "Emperor" (Brendel/VSO/Mehta)>. I include the performer information so that I can more easily find the one I want if I have several recordings of that composition.

You can then somewhat sort by work:
    Home > My Music > Composers > L > Ludwig Van Beethoven > Set the sort order with control at bottom left of browser window.

Full tags:

Last edited by Apesbrain; 2017-03-06 at 11:02.

Quote Originally Posted by vanye View Post
    To my mind, the fields "composer" and "conductor" work just as they are supposed to. Nope, the problem is not the artist fields, but the fact that they are bound to the category "album". Classical music, however, does not work like that! For classical music I would like to be able to sort by "work".
    I am probably missing something here but can you not simply tag your music so that work becomes album? So, if you have an album comprising two symphonies by different composers, conductors and orchestras, just tag them as two separate albums, after all, album is an artificial construct anyway.

Regards

JerryS

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS View Post
    I am probably missing something here but can you not simply tag your music so that work becomes album? So, if you have an album comprising two symphonies by different composers, conductors and orchestras, just tag them as two separate albums, after all, album is an artificial construct anyway.

Regards

JerryS
    In case of classical it really is ( in other genres an album can be the work ), making pseudo albums with works sounds like an idea .
    Breakes compatibilty with some plugins that's looking up album info online , reviews etc .
    Makes tagging messy and ripping to ?

Best solution would be if LMS could somehove support work along side albums , so that you don't have to skew your tagging to fit the software . Just add work and composer tags .

A work menu and a composer/work menu you probably need that as many works tends to have the same name symphony no 5 by who ?

Anyone still using Erlands custom tag and custom sort plugins ? Not seen him around for ages , where di he go .

But should not some of this be in the main product we have composer/album already ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html