Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS View Post
    So, if you have an album comprising two symphonies by different composers, conductors and orchestras, just tag them as two separate albums...
    I do this all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Breakes compatibilty with some plugins that's looking up album info online , reviews etc .
    Makes tagging messy and ripping to ?
    Yes, that's all true.

I find it most helpful to consider the "album" tag really "release". This helps with both classical and contemporary music, because it's the release which tends to dictate most other associated metadata. For example, differing track lists, differing cover art and so on.

Whether you consider the symphony name as the album [release] name depends on the release. As suggested, and as often evidenced by FreeDB data, you sometimes therefore end up pushing more information into the album [release] name to distinguish it; such as performer names. This gets tricky!

I just got a new server (had a qnap before) so finally upgraded to 7.9.0. Happy to see the composer entry in the menu. Did some digging for other new stuff, and noticed the "extra browser modi" to allow also the browse for Conductor. Unfortunately this only works for MP3's where composer is stored in the TPE3 tag. But in FLACs (the majority of my music) the Conductor tag I set with dBPoweramp is somehow interpreted by LMS as performer (see screenshots), so totally useless. How to solve this?

Name:  conductor tag in SB.png
Views: 113
Size:  16.9 KB

Name:  conductor tag.png
Views: 114
Size:  43.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Henkjan View Post
    I just got a new server (had a qnap before) so finally upgraded to 7.9.0. Happy to see the composer entry in the menu. Did some digging for other new stuff, and noticed the "extra browser modi" to allow also the browse for Conductor. Unfortunately this only works for MP3's where composer is stored in the TPE3 tag. But in FLACs (the majority of my music) the Conductor tag I set with dBPoweramp is somehow interpreted by LMS as performer (see screenshots), so totally useless. How to solve this?
    I don't think there's any interpretation/mapping of tags shown in the 'View Tags' screen. Are you sure the problem wasn't with dbpoweramp creating a PERFORMER field instead of CONDUCTOR?

You can view the raw tags of a FLAC file using metaflac.exe with a command similar to the following at a console interface (command line prompt). Use the appropriate path to metaflac on your system.

"C:\flac\metaflac.exe" --list --block-type=VORBIS_COMMENT "01 First Track.flac"

All my FLAC classical tracks have CONDUCTOR tag written by Mp3tag and it works fine in LMS 7.9.

Mp3tag can bulk copy any existing tag to a new one, e.g. PERFORMER > CONDUCTOR.
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2017-04-27 at 18:19.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    You can view the raw tags of a FLAC file using metaflac.exe with a command similar to the following at a console interface (command line prompt). Use the appropriate path to metaflac on your system.

"C:\flac\metaflac.exe" --list --block-type=VORBIS_COMMENT "01 First Track.flac"
    I'll check

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    All my FLAC classical tracks have CONDUCTOR tag written by Mp3tag and it works fine in LMS 7.9.
    Mp3tag can bulk copy any existing tag to a new one, e.g. PERFORMER > CONDUCTOR.
    good to know

seems dBPoweramp does some mapping:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...or-tag-in-flac

As per the vorbis comment specifation here:

http://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html

Composer is mapped to Performer, you can switch it off in dBpoweramp Configuration >> Codecs >> Advanced (for programs which do not follow the tagging standard).
    but in some other way it does store the Conductor tag, because if I look at them using dBPoweramp, it is still Conductor and not Performer...

Name:  conductor tag - dBPA vs mp3tag .png
Views: 83
Size:  169.3 KB

and the metaflac output
    METADATA block #1
    type: 4 (VORBIS_COMMENT)
    is last: false
    length: 476
    vendor string: reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917
    comments: 13
    comment[0]: Date=1987
    comment[1]: Album=Beethoven 1 (Haitink, 1988)
    comment[2]: AccurateRipResult=AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 7) [25D6F717]
    comment[3]: AccurateRipDiscID=008-00132616-007fa225-4b0e5008-1
    comment[4]: Title=Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 21: I. Adagio molto, Allegro con brio
    comment[5]: Genre=Classical
    comment[6]: Composer=Ludwig van Beethoven
    comment[7]: Performer=Bernard Haitink
    comment[8]: Orchestra=Concertgebouw Orkest
    comment[9]: TRACKNUMBER=01
    comment[10]: TOTALTRACKS=08
    comment[11]: DISCNUMBER=1
    comment[12]: TOTALDISCS=1