Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Classical music tagging in LMS 7.9 -- looking for hints, suggestions, and guidance

Hi All. After about four years on an ancient version of what, up until 3 days ago I was still calling "SqueezeServer", I finally decided to get back in to the forums to see if anyone was still here. I was very happy to find that the community is still as active and friendly as ever. Now I'm up to date on LMS 7.9 and have two new Chromecast Audio pucks to replace two of my failed SB3s. (My controller/receiver and my SqueezeBoom are still hanging in there)

I see that 7.9 has many (many) new tagging options available. I searched the forums looking for people's input on how they've configured their server for Classical, but have not been able to find anything 7.9-specific. I know the old way was to set up the composer as Artist and the "Work" as the Album, but I'm sure that there are much better ways now that there is even a "Conductor" field available. Understanding that even in 7.9 there is no ONE correct way to tag Classical, what are your suggestions? What works for you?

Specifically:

1. How should I set up the Player/Additional Browse Modes page?

2. How should I set up the My Music / "Browse Artists" and "Composer, Band and Orchestra in Artists" settings?

3. How should I tag the actual music files?

Oh, my music is mostly flac, with some mp3. Each song (movement) is ripped to a separate file (no CUE sheets). And most of my classical music is completely untagged -- a blank canvas.

Thanks!

Dan

Hi,

1st search for an real flac tagger that runs on your OS.
    Dont use mp3tag for flacs - even if it looks like it should do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Dont use mp3tag for flacs - even if it looks like it should do the job.
    Any specific reason for this? Mp3tag does an excellent job on flacs, at least for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    Any specific reason for this? Mp3tag does an excellent job on flacs, at least for my needs.

If you have only flacs and change the setting to never write IDvx.y and APE just vorbis (dont know if you got that choice) it should work.
    But do you using a Shoe to get a Nail in your Wall or do you use a Hammer for this application
    Or in other Words if you tag mp3s with vorbis comments ...Na not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    If you have only flacs and change the setting to never write IDvx.y and APE just vorbis (dont know if you got that choice) it should work.
    Or in other Words if you tag mp3s with vorbis comments ...Na not a good idea.
    Mp3tag does not work like this. It maps between tag names displayed to the user and the format-specific tags. So it does not write IDvx.y tags to flac files nor Vorbis comments to mp3 files.

Thanks for the input on mp3tag, but I'm still looking for suggestions on tagging strategies. I found that I can set up a custom browse mode called "Classical Composers", set it to All Music Library, browse by Artist (using Composer tag), and set it only to display from genre Classical. Nice!

Still not sure how I'd like to go about naming pieces of Work, though. Use Album tag for Work? (eg. "Symphony no. 5"). And where to put conductors and performers?

Thanks,
    Dan

For a while I stumbled over some tips and tricks for tagging classical on musicbrainz.org. But I can't find it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    Mp3tag does not work like this. It maps between tag names displayed to the user and the format-specific tags. So it does not write IDvx.y tags to flac files nor Vorbis comments to mp3 files.
    Correct. mp3tag (despite the name) writes correct FLAC specification tags (not ID3v... tags). It is a very powerful, flexible tagging program, a favorite of many windows users that are serious about tagging their files.

And as noted, one should NOT add ID3v... tags to a FLAC file, even if there is software that would allow you do this.

There are some similarly named programs floating around. So be sure and use actual mp3tag. Find it here:
    http://download.mp3tag.de/mp3tagv272setup.exe
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win8(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

DB Poweramp

Of course someone had to bring this up. I used to mess around with tags until I got dbpoweramp. It searches AMG, GD3, SontaDB, Musicbrainz & freedb and if you like custom tags, set the way you want your tags and forget it. The program does them on the fly plus offers the ability to edit tags directly through their properties without a helper program.

DBPoweramp has saved untold hours of messing with tags and searching for artwork and all that. I have eclectic tastes and more than a few rarities and as yet I have very few albums where I have to manually intervene with tags due to the fact that it searches and offers choices. Being in Canada we get quite a few European import versions of albums and 99% of he time tags are right the first time.

It is a total Swiss army knife for ripping and converting as well. I have three libraries (flac for SB, ALAC for Ipod, AAC for phone) and I rip once and I am done.
    "Good judgement is the result of experience ... Experience is the result of bad judgement."

Take a look at my mini-site on this topic. Hopefully there are some helpful ideas. Although LMS is much improved, I still like Muso (assuming you have a Windows machine somewhere).
    See http://music.highmossergate.co.uk/