Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bpa
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by mavit
    To be fair, the newer URL does have the word "beta" in it, so I can understand why some people would assume they should be sticking with the old one. But, I guess if you changed it you'd just end up with yet another out of date URL.
    "beta" referred to the BBC who at the time were beta testing DASH.

The plugins which are installed from the repo at the start of this thread don't even work - which means users have installed plugins they don't use. I have changed repo banner which appears in the plugin tab to say it is out of date - but still it is used.

Comment

• mavit
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bpa
      "beta" referred to the BBC who at the time were beta testing DASH.
      Ah, I must admit I hadn’t realised this. I see that I still have both repos configured, in the expectation that one day a non-beta release of the BBCiPlayer plugin would appear.

Originally posted by bpa
      The plugins which are installed from the repo at the start of this thread don't even work - which means users have installed plugins they don't use. I have changed repo banner which appears in the plugin tab to say it is out of date - but still it is used.
      If the old plugin versions don’t work, then is there any reason to keep them around? Is it time to copy the contents of betarelease-repo.xml over the top of repo-short.xml? Does Sourceforge support redirects or symlinks?

Comment

• bpa
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by mavit
        If the old plugin versions don’t work, then is there any reason to keep them around?
        No reason on my side. User don't like change forced on them.

Is it time to copy the contents of betarelease-repo.xml over the top of repo-short.xml?
        Forcing an update on a user who has a out of date URL usually results in hand holding to understand what is happening.

The alternative is to delete the repo. In the past when I deleted repos - I got squeals where some users do not want to migrate of fear of the unknown and their LMS flags an error which is also upsetting. Now I try to get them to move by changing the banner message into something vaguely apocalyptic until eventually there are very few downloads - then I delete. The repo-short.xml (and a few others such as the five 1.4.10 users and the five 1.6.0 users) users are hardcore remainers and so I let sleeping dogs lie - less work for me.

Does Sourceforge support redirects or symlinks?
        No.

Comment

• slartibartfast
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by kellso
          What are you talking about? BBC iPlayer plugin always relays data through the LMS server, so any perceived improvement turning on/off proxied playback is either imagined or an accidental coincidence with some other change eg. broadband or BBC issues. "Placebo effect" is a good shorthand for that. If you actually think something else is going on inside LMS and the plugin then you are wrong, bpa knows what he's talking about.
          Is this a reply to a previous post?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
          Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
          Bedroom: Radio
          Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• bpa
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by slartibartfast
            AFAICT The last mention of "proxied" in a post in this thread was in 2017. Perhaps there was a deleted post.

Comment

• slartibartfast
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by bpa
              AFAICT The last mention of "proxied" in a post in this thread was in 2017. Perhaps there was a deleted post.
              Is it possible to delete posts?

Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF

Comment

• kidstypike
                • Feb 2007

Maybe it is just from Tapatalk that I can't do it then. All I can do is edit and if I delete all the text it doesn't allow it.

Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
                Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
                Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
                Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• slartibartfast
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by kidstypike
                  That's why I quoted your post before you deleted it.[emoji3]

Comment

• bpa
                    • Oct 2005

Is it possible to delete posts?
                    Yes - usually if I respond on the wrong thread. It is a choice when you "edit post" a previous post.

Comment

Working...