Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 114 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1324
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
    I have an LED panel lighting my kitchen that puts annoying amounts of noise on my FM reception, even with a loft aerial. I've tried ferrite chokes on the light panel cables but to no avail. It's incredibly annoying, but at least iPlayer AAC at 320kbps sounds better than FM anyway so I'm not losing out really.
    Glad to hear I'm not alone with the interference. The real problem for me is that we often have multiple radios on the same channel, one in the kitchen, one in the lounge, and one in the dining room. With FM they are all in sync. With DAB they are marginally out of sync (and with poor sound) which drives us mad. I don't have an Internet radio in the kitchen so that option isn't open to me, but I suspect they would be out of sync as well. The only other problem is that all digital versions lag real time to some degree, but I'm retired, so what's the rush?!

FM broadcasts are distributed digitally around the transmitters using NICAM. So there is already a digital section in the middle of the transmission network, and has been since the 1980s as they started to build out the digital distribution system for FM.
    I had a feeling that might be true. So I guess FM can't be 'better' than a good digital version.
    LMS 7.9.1 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 17.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. Touch & EDO. 2nd Touch standard.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Alternatively Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 17.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
    FM broadcasts are distributed digitally around the transmitters using NICAM.
    Good reading on this here:

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/BBC/PCMandNICAM/History.html

And more general reading on Jim LeSurf's contributions to HiFi News here:

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk
    LMS: 7.9.0 - 1488878280 @ Tue Mar 7 09:28:02 UTC 2017 on Raspberry Pi 3B piCorePlayer v3.20 Server/ARCAM rPAC DAC, 2.5 inch HD (pi powered)
    Homeplug LAN Players:
    Squeezelite on Windows 10 PC
    Raspberry Pi 3B piCorePlayer v3.20/Topping VX2 DAC/Amp
    Wifi Players:
    UPnP Wifi Players: 2 x Chromecast Audio, 2 x Chromecast Video

Quote Originally Posted by ian_heys View Post

That first url is where I got my information originally.

Thanks. Most illuminating
    LMS 7.9.1 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 17.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. Touch & EDO. 2nd Touch standard.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Wireless Xubuntu 17.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post

I then tried squeezelite on another computer, and it worked fine.

I too can only get this to work without stopping when squeezelite resides on another PC, but even then not on another PiCore linux device.

The failing players are squeezelite real or virtual (Chromecasts) on Raspberry Pi's but to get it to work I had to install squeezelite on a Windows 10 PC which has been playing away for the last 4.5 hours.

I have the option to play to an Android Phone so have set that playing and will see if it stops. As I type this it has been running for the last 32 minutes without problem.

My thoughts are that certain variants of squeezelite resident on the latest piCore player beta and the latest version of Phillipe's Chromecast plug-in do not play this stream while Windows 10 stand alone squeezelite and Android Squeezeplayer do.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LMS: 7.9.0 - 1488878280 @ Tue Mar 7 09:28:02 UTC 2017 on Raspberry Pi 3B piCorePlayer v3.20 Server/ARCAM rPAC DAC, 2.5 inch HD (pi powered)
    Homeplug LAN Players:
    Wifi Players:

I too can only get this to work without stopping when squeezelite resides on another PC, but even then not on another PiCore linux device.

The failing players are squeezelite real or virtual (Chromecasts) on Raspberry Pi's but to get it to work I had to install squeezelite on a Windows 10 PC which has been playing away for the last 4.5 hours.

I have the option to play to an Android Phone so have set that playing and will see if it stops. As I type this it has been running for the last 32 minutes without problem.

My thoughts are that certain variants of squeezelite resident on the latest piCore player beta and the latest version of Phillipe's Chromecast plug-in do not play this stream while Windows 10 stand alone squeezelite and Android Squeezeplayer do.
    I downloaded the latest Ralphy squeezelite on each test system, compiled it, and used that for all my tests, on my desktop ubuntu and my LMS server running xubuntu 17.04.

squeeze2upnp on my LMS server works to one of my players - the other one seems to have flac header issues (not for the first time so not an issue for iplayer).

I wonder whether the squeeze2unp type plugins are making assumptions about Flac format - expecting a file and not a stream. There is no "fLaC" header nor any "STREAMINFO" block which are usually sent by LMS when playing a file.

I have noi problem runngin squeezelite on same computer and audio is OK. I have problem with LocalPlayer - it runs (i.e. stream is playing) but no audio.

When run on same computer is squeezelite standalone or through LocalPlayer ?
    What command line option are being used ?

Can you run squeezelite from a shell prompt on same computer with log options such as -d all=info

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I have noi problem runngin squeezelite on same computer and audio is OK. I have problem with LocalPlayer - it runs (i.e. stream is playing) but no audio.

When run on same computer is squeezelite standalone or through LocalPlayer ?
    What command line option are being used ?

Can you run squeezelite from a shell prompt on same computer with log options such as -d all=info
    When run on same computer I refer to PiCore Player which has squeezelite built in, but I did disable it on one of the players and installed Local Player from the gui with the same results.

Could your problems with Local Player be to do with selecting the correct output drive from the settings? (Pretty rude for me to ask you such a question).

Don't know about running squeezelite from a shell but I think that logging level is selectable from within piCore, here's what it says this morning when trying to play BBC 3 Flac stream:

Name:  LogLevel.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  25.9 KB

[17-04-21 07:05:25.6313] Plugins::BBCiPlayer:ASH::_parseMPD_part2 (592) No BaseURL definition found
    [17-04-21 07:05:32.5961] Plugins::BBCiPlayer:ASH::__ANON__ (761) Aborting stream - fatal error fetching [388738198] Status=404 Reason: Not Found Fetch time 176 ms
    [17-04-21 07:05:32.5970] Plugins::BBCiPlayer:ASH::__ANON__ (762) Failed URL: http://vs-dash-ww-rd-live.bbcfmt.hs..../388738198.m4s
    [17-04-21 07:05:32.6706] Plugins::BBCiPlayer:ASH::__ANON__ (761) Aborting stream - fatal error fetching [388738199] Status=404 Reason: Not Found Fetch time 248 ms
    [17-04-21 07:05:32.6715] Plugins::BBCiPlayer:ASH::__ANON__ (762) Failed URL: http://vs-dash-ww-rd-live.bbcfmt.hs..../388738199.m4s

Edit: I should add that both my PiCore players have USB DACs attached.
    Last edited by ian_heys; 2017-04-20 at 23:09. Reason: Clarification
    Homeplug LAN Players:
    Wifi Players:

When run on same computer I refer to PiCore Player which has squeezelite built in, but I did disable it on one of the players and installed Local Player from the gui with the same results.
    I was wondering whether probalem is related to some DAC and other special settings.
    Could your problems with Local Player be to do with selecting the correct output drive from the settings? (Pretty rude for me to ask you such a question).
    I run squeezelite with no params on both cases. I'm pretty sure the audio issue relates to Pulse (IIRC Alsa is used on pCP) but have no energy to track down the issue.

Don't know about running squeezelite from a shell but I think that logging level is selectable from within piCore, here's what it says this morning when trying to play BBC 3 Flac stream:
    The log below is from LMS - I'd like to see the log from squeezelite which can be selected from the same setting page.

[17-04-21 07:05:32.6715] Plugins::BBCiPlayer:ASH::__ANON__ (762) Failed URL: http://vs-dash-ww-rd-live.bbcfmt.hs..../388738199.m4s
    404 message is a problem with the plugin. I need to update the plugin but increasing the "live stream delayt" should remove it.