Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    352

    Case for RPi with Touch Screen

    Hi,

    I've just bought myself an RPi + HiFiBerry DAC+ to build a replacement for my dead SB3.

    I was thinking that once I understand how everything works together, I'd like to upgrade to the 7" touch screen that is now being sold for the RPi.

    I am wondering whether there are cases available which would fit the touch screen and the RPi and which would have the extra space required by the DAC+. I would rather hide the guts away and have the unit stand on top of the stereo.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigster View Post
    Hi,

    I've just bought myself an RPi + HiFiBerry DAC+ to build a replacement for my dead SB3.

    I was thinking that once I understand how everything works together, I'd like to upgrade to the 7" touch screen that is now being sold for the RPi.

    I am wondering whether there are cases available which would fit the touch screen and the RPi and which would have the extra space required by the DAC+. I would rather hide the guts away and have the unit stand on top of the stereo.

    Thanks!
    If you want to hide the guts away, you might find it neater to have separate RPis for player and touchscreen controller.

  3. #3
    Senior Member DJanGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,372
    Quote Originally Posted by utgg View Post
    If you want to hide the guts away, you might find it neater to have separate RPis for player and touchscreen controller.
    ?
    The Touchscreencontroller is a single Board with a short cable - so the RPi must be on Top of the Controller.
    Same with DAC and RPi.

    Take a look here:
    http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/...se--plus-stand

    Simplest way to solve it is to buy two of them and build a single case out of it (not using the Frontpanels and Backpanels from the 2.nd one)
    Last edited by DJanGo; 2015-11-21 at 02:07.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    ?
    The Touchscreencontroller is a single Board with a short cable - so the RPi must be on Top of the Controller.
    Same with DAC and RPi.

    Take a look here:
    http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/...se--plus-stand

    Simplest way to solve it is to buy two of them and build a single case out of it (not using the Frontpanels and Backpanels from the 2.nd one)
    I meant have a 7" touchscreen + pi (without the dac), which can go in a standard case, just to use as a squeezebox controller/display. Wifi is probably fine for this, so the only cable is for power, making it a neater unit. Then have a separate pi with the DAC, hidden away at the back of the rack somewhere.
    Last edited by utgg; 2015-11-21 at 04:16.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by utgg View Post
    I mean't have a 7" touchscreen + pi (without the dac), which can go in a standard case, just to use as a squeezebox controller/display. Wifi is probably fine for this, so the only cable is for power, making it a neater unit. Then have a separate pi with the DAC, hidden away at the back of the rack somewhere.
    Ag, more computers in my house... Knowing myself, I'd rather not do this, or I will be spending all my life upgrading firmware/linux kernels...

    OK I guess that maybe having a v. cheap tablet to run some Squeezeplayer controller is in the end better.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NC, US
    Posts
    19

    Raspberry Pi 7'' Touch Display Bundle with HiFiBerry DAC+ / Digi+ and Max2Play (assem

    Quote Originally Posted by Wigster View Post
    Ag, more computers in my house... Knowing myself, I'd rather not do this, or I will be spending all my life upgrading firmware/linux kernels...

    OK I guess that maybe having a v. cheap tablet to run some Squeezeplayer controller is in the end better.
    Max2Play now has a bundle with a case - Raspberry Pi 7'' Touch Display Bundle with HiFiBerry DAC+ / Digi+ and Max2Play (assembly kit).
    CL

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Senior Member stereoptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    I really like that case with the stand except that it cannot accommodate the HDMI cable out. Maybe if the back door is left off and you use an angled HDMI connector it might. There is a chance it may be worked in to a revision, if there is one.

  9. #9
    That Max2Play setup seems pretty nice. I'd like to build a Squeezebox/LMS setup for home without using any actual Squeezebox hardware. Ideally I'd have a few different RPi2/PiCorePLayers so they are homogeneous in performance and support. Making them look somewhat professional like an SB Touch would be nice!

    Are the two options mentioned in this thread (ModMyPi & Max2Play) touchscreen setups currently the state of the art for Squeezelite players? Are there better plug and play kits available from elsewhere?

    It would also be nice to get one that is totally self-contained with speakers, to act as a SQ Radio so we don't need a separate stereo - like a SQ Boom.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by slimCL View Post
    Max2Play now has a bundle with a case - Raspberry Pi 7'' Touch Display Bundle with HiFiBerry DAC+ / Digi+ and Max2Play (assembly kit).
    Were you referring to this one?

    https://shop.max2play.com/en/raspber...7-display.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •