Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Wow still amazed how great it sounds

I gave away my bedroom system to a friend that needed it as a main system... so I set up a Boom i had in storage with a small (and cheap) Yamaha 050 flat sub. between the two components (new prices) they are like $400. i set them up together, and i swear this stuff sounds better than the $1.5k system i had there before.
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 16.04 + LMS 7.9
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado PS500e/Shure 1540

My Boom is staying where it is (in the kitchen) ... and it doesn't even need a sub to sound good

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    I gave away my bedroom system to a friend that needed it as a main system... so I set up a Boom i had in storage with a small (and cheap) Yamaha 050 flat sub. between the two components (new prices) they are like $400. i set them up together, and i swear this stuff sounds better than the $1.5k system i had there before.
    True, I recently added a Canton ASF 75 SC subwoofer that I bought used for a small price to our Boom in the bedroom. I was amazed about how the sound got even better.
    Current setup:
    • EEEBox, Xubuntu 14.04, LMS 7.9, FLAC
    • Duet > Pro-Ject DAC Box E > AKG Hearo 888 Titan (home office), Boom + Canton ASF 75 SC (master bedroom), Boom (master bathroom), 2 Radios (guest bathroom and garden deck), RPi3 + LibreELEC + XSqueeze > Samsung TV > NAD L53 > Mission 2.1 speakers (living room)
    • Transporter > vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (42E equalizer, 42T tape deck + Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral Vulkan Mk II (music room)

How great is the boom ?

I have 2 . They sound fantastic. Much better than all of those crappy Bluetooth speakers being sold today. Why they stopped making the boom and supporting it I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyd View Post
    I have 2 . They sound fantastic. Much better than all of those crappy Bluetooth speakers being sold today. Why they stopped making the boom and supporting it I don't understand.
    Logitech was probably concerned about the rising failure rate of their SB products.

Wow still amazed how great it sounds

> Logitech was probably concerned about the rising failure rate of their
    > SB products.

You must have been in meetings I haven't been!

--

Michael

I love my 2 Booms as well. Feeling a bit sorry that I sold the third one on eBay some years ago...

Didn┤t find a good replacement up to now. That┤s why I keep them as long as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyd View Post

I totally agree. I have what I believe to be a very nice sound system thanks to multiple SB devices, a DAC and some nice older components. I am very fortunate. I listen to music that sounds like the orchestra is right here in my room. I'm also very thankful for Pippin and ipeng which makes pulling up great music quite convenient. Also, thankful for Michael for his continued diligence in maintaining things. Thankful, too, for this forum and all the members who help one another.
    I, like so many others, am SO disappointed in Logitech for discontinuing the SQUEEZEBOX devices. Very disappointed!
    Last edited by Ikabob; 2016-12-26 at 18:23.
    Ikabob

Squeezebox Touch w/LMS V7.9; Benchmark DAC1 USB;Marantz Pre-amp; SAE Amplifier;ESS Heil Speakers(main listening speakers plus various additional speakers).
    Multiple players: SqueezeBooms,SqueezeRadios; SB3;
    Services:Rhapsody;Slacker;RadioTunes;Spotify (+Triode's Plugin);CalmRadio,Napster,
    Ipeng remote controller.

Couldn't agree more; am playing mine as I type now.

The other one is in bits until I can get some help reviving it can't recycle it!