Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    Senior Member w3wilkes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    You're certainly right. Maybe I've to re-think why I'm doing this.
    Something about holding it. I still like pulling out Things like Alice Cooper - School's Out or what about Cheech and Chong - Big Bambu or reading the back side notes on Leo Kotke - Six and Twelve String Guitar. Even with CD's you'll get booklets sometimes and sometimes they get cutsie on the silkscreen on the disc itself. And then there's the "ritual" of ripping, picking your album art, making sure you've got "your tags just so".

    My son has requested that I leave him all my vinyl.

    I know why I'm still buying the physical product.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    Something about holding it. I still like pulling out Things like Alice Cooper - School's Out or what about Cheech and Chong - Big Bambu or reading the back side notes on Leo Kotke - Six and Twelve String Guitar. Even with CD's you'll get booklets sometimes and sometimes they get cutsie on the silkscreen on the disc itself. And then there's the "ritual" of ripping, picking your album art, making sure you've got "your tags just so".

    My son has requested that I leave him all my vinyl.

    I know why I'm still buying the physical product.
    I agree to your points. And I like buying CDs. But typically I'm holding the CD (case) in hands and reading the booklet only while ripping. Then they're making a nice view in the shelves. So the relevance of the physical product is changing for me.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    I agree to your points. And I like buying CDs. But typically I'm holding the CD (case) in hands and reading the booklet only while ripping. Then they're making a nice view in the shelves. So the relevance of the physical product is changing for me.
    I agree. The CD cover was never as good as an LP cover anyway and some of the booklets need a magnifying glass to read. I like and use ipeng's lookup feature on a regular basis while I am listening to something. Pippin if you read this I'd really like it if iPeng could lookup to other sources as well as Wikipedia. All music or similar album reviews would be great. I wouldn't mind if the links opened Safari either.

    I shall still buy CDs until at least the price of lossless downloads becomes sensible.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    311
    I know it's an older thread, but this is a topic I think about quite a bit. I am an album person. I rarely buy single tracks.

    I'm the type of guy that buys CD's so I can get a lossless version of the files. In recent years, I rip to flac and never listen to the CD's again. I mostly do that because CD's tend to be cheaper than digital, AND because most digital is in MP3 or Hi-Res (which I don't really care about).

    Spotify is actually limiting my habit of buying CD's a bit. If I listen to an album a few times, then I buy the CD, otherwise I skip. AND, obtaining a turntable in the past year has limited me even further. If they ever get to offer FLAC files (standard CD resolution) at a reasonable price, I might give up on the physical product. I am feeling guilty of all the plastic I have in CD's that isn't really getting used.

    I just wish I could understand the reason for such audio files to cost so much more than a physical product. At the same time, I wish I could bring myself to be ok with 320kbps mp3's instead of FLAC.

  5. #25
    Senior Member DJanGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
    I just wish I could understand the reason for such audio files to cost so much more than a physical product. At the same time, I wish I could bring myself to be ok with 320kbps mp3's instead of FLAC.
    [OT]
    I do have some insider informations about that...
    You / the Music supplier needs a huge amount of extra stuff and extra work to deliver audio files to the customer.
    "Plastic" you need only some Glasmasters and they least more than hundred thousands of "copys"
    Digital means you must provide technical equipment (most re-sellers like Amazon & Apple want their piece of cake and they even told them about pricing as well)

    The "old" Way (its the way i prefer as well even with the unused stuff in my Cellar) is cheaper....
    A bigbunch is pressed;printed; stored and delivered to the pre-sellers and the pressing devices do other Material unless the supplier needs more plastic.

    Just "ask yourself" what do you expect - in the last century we go to the shop ask for our Vinyl/CD and if its not on stock we just go somewhere else or order them and get them later.
    Now everyone whats ASAP eg. Adeles New Work all over the World - the online customer wants his stuff fast if not faster. The Billing and all that other backofficestuff also needs attention....
    eg. when the digitalbooks where deployed everyone thought - he no paper no pressing no storagefacility no travel from here to there - a ebook must be cheaper as the printed Version.

    Nope there is a hell (ok its unfair cause ebooks needs a complete new way to be procuced - other than the "oldish" printed books now even printed books are produced with the same workflow) lot of extra stuff...

    Its more involved than you expect believe me. And again i want the real deal
    [/OT]

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    55

    99% Albums

    Like most here it seems, I primarily buy full albums. I will buy only a single track rarely.

    However, I probably buy 50% on CD and 50% digital files. I buy the CD if I am confident I want a high quality file because the music/artist warrants it. I buy a very broad range of music and sometimes I know that a purchase will only get a few months of play instead of a lifetime, or the music style doesn't require high res files (i.e. punk).

    I probably buy half in one of the great stores we have here, and the other half on Amazon - mainly because of the Autorip feature of getting the MP3 files with the purchase of the CD (I keep separate files for portable and home). I figure this saves me a lot of money over time, and I don't have to store the discs. I throw out the jewel case and the disc and booklet go into a plastic sleeve, then into a storage drawer alphabetically if I want to browse.

    I also go through the physical discs and get rid of stuff that doesn't make the grade any longer. I live in Manhattan so space is always a premium. As far as backups I have the disc, a NAS and a full backup of that NAS on a separate portable drive.
    Location 1: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 4TB > LMS 7.9.0 > 2 Touch, 1 Duet
    Controller: Nexus 7 >Orange Squeeze
    Music: Ripping (FLAC) dbpoweramp, Tagging: mp3tag

  7. #27
    Senior Member Mnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vństerňs Sweden
    Posts
    15,992
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I agree. The CD cover was never as good as an LP cover anyway and some of the booklets need a magnifying glass to read. I like and use ipeng's lookup feature on a regular basis while I am listening to something. Pippin if you read this I'd really like it if iPeng could lookup to other sources as well as Wikipedia. All music or similar album reviews would be great. I wouldn't mind if the links opened Safari either.

    I shall still buy CDs until at least the price of lossless downloads becomes sensible.
    But it does iPeng do link to album reviews and some album info and wiki ,it might be trough a plugin , wish I knew which one of them

    Prices for downloads I find flac 16/44.1 downloads actually slightly cheaper than a physical cd when you can find them , in this crazy world it's either lossy ( MP3 or AAC ) or audiophile "quality" 24 bit via HD tracks or similar . And HD tracks charge premium for nothing as thier cult clientele like to pay to much " cost no object " is a thing

    But in the case of CD quality flac downloads when they exist they are not always more expensive than physical discs .
    Best example,from the top of my head bandcamp.

    But then there is the fun of buying used discs

    It may just be a philosophical thing some do want a physical object .

    And the costs of CD the manufacturing is a couple of % of the total price aka negligible the prices are all for the intellectual property basically . So expecting downloads to cost half of physical cd is to expect the record company and artist to get less .

    But I'm old enough to remember the initial price hike when cd was introduced over the LP it costed much more .

    The record companies blamed manufacturing costs , but that was bull . The market competition had driven LP prices down .
    And with the newly rejuvenatet interest in music and hifi with the CD format they simply wanted to make money .

    The Swedish market was a bit different the LP was always much bigger than the pre recorded cassette ( it was considered cr*p even among normal people ) most folks bougth the LP . Cassette where the thing to copy others LP's or to do mix tapes .

    Even when I was a kid and only had a boombox I bougth the LP and copied it to Cassatte on dad's tape deck
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

    http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    908
    It is rare that I buy anything at all these days. Most of what I acquire is from legal download sites of live shows. I much prefer the ambience of a well recorded live show to the over-orchestrated commercial release. That being said, another factor is the volume of music I have, which I am sure is much less than many here. Looking at the stats on LMS Control Panel I could now listen to something different for 109+ days and never here the same recording 2x. I'm not saying I won't buy anything, but it has to be something really special. There are times I feel more like a collector than a listener.

    Thoughts ?

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    [OT]
    I do have some insider informations about that...
    You / the Music supplier needs a huge amount of extra stuff and extra work to deliver audio files to the customer.
    "Plastic" you need only some Glasmasters and they least more than hundred thousands of "copys"
    Digital means you must provide technical equipment (most re-sellers like Amazon & Apple want their piece of cake and they even told them about pricing as well)

    The "old" Way (its the way i prefer as well even with the unused stuff in my Cellar) is cheaper....
    A bigbunch is pressed;printed; stored and delivered to the pre-sellers and the pressing devices do other Material unless the supplier needs more plastic.

    Just "ask yourself" what do you expect - in the last century we go to the shop ask for our Vinyl/CD and if its not on stock we just go somewhere else or order them and get them later.
    Now everyone whats ASAP eg. Adeles New Work all over the World - the online customer wants his stuff fast if not faster. The Billing and all that other backofficestuff also needs attention....
    eg. when the digitalbooks where deployed everyone thought - he no paper no pressing no storagefacility no travel from here to there - a ebook must be cheaper as the printed Version.

    Nope there is a hell (ok its unfair cause ebooks needs a complete new way to be procuced - other than the "oldish" printed books now even printed books are produced with the same workflow) lot of extra stuff...

    Its more involved than you expect believe me. And again i want the real deal
    [/OT]
    That cannot be correct.
    While the initial set up cost of the digital download delivery mechanism will have been costly economies of scale will quickly apply. There is no manufacturing cost, no packaging cost, no distribution cost attached to digital downloads and yes while Amazon and the like want their share so did the Record Shops of yesteryear.
    Downloads must be cheaper than CDs by now.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto area, Canada
    Posts
    1,162
    As I have said before in this thread, I almost never get individual tracks, almost entirely albums. I cross many genres, too, and have many sources. When I identify something I want to have, I have a kind of decision-tree.

    • Do I really want a lossless version (cd quality), or will a high-end mp3 (320) do the job? Often the latter, because I can't actually hear a difference between a 320 and a flac, most of the time.

    • How badly do I want the album? Right now, no delay, or am I happy to wait for a few days or weeks?

    • What's the cost of a CD? Sometimes quite low, but often quite high. Is there a used version available at a cheap cost?

    • What's available at download sites and at what quality? I often buy downloads from sites like Bandcamp, CDBaby and Zunior that have a flac option for all downloads, at no additional cost, and at prices that are competitive, often cheaper than, physical CDs.

    • I'll consider lossy downloads from places like iTunes or eMusic, if the cost/benefit/convenience equation merits it. Much easier now for new releases on eMusic, which are almost all at 320 quality (see first bullet above)

    • I maintain some subscriptions, like for the Bowers and Wilkins Society of Sound, which gives me excellent quality classical recordings (cd quality or higher) at what amounts to a cheap price, with occasionally interesting non-classical thrown in.


    So, I'm pretty flexible and try to take a cost-conscious approach. Of course, I, too, have way too much music to ever listen to, and even hearing and considering new acquisitions can be a chore. I need to be more disciplined about NOT getting everything that crosses my consciousness as potentially desirable.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •