Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    You could leave your NAS in your will. No one will check if its filled with downloaded music or ripped music :-)
    Except your Database
    I'd like to use only my own tags and (yes i do use crappy lossyfiles) convert settings

I buy tracks and albums but only as hardware.
    Single Tracks on Sampler's like Putumayo presents ..... or Best of one Hit Wonders.

There is a reason for everything - i remember a Maxi CD from The Clash that i only bought for the title Song "London calling".
    There was also a Track called "Rock the Casbah" that i didnt like the 1.st to 50th. time listen to that CD but after the 51th. listening i didnt listen to the title Song again - the former reason why i bought that (my first The Clash CD) [long long time ago]....

Almost always CD's here. I have bought the occasional track when I was looking for something specific from years gone by, like Sheila - Tommy Roe... Had to have it for a compilation I put together.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

Interesting so many of the respondents here are still mainly buying CDs. The world is changing but apparently not everywhere.

I, too, sometimes buy CDs, especially if the price is right and I don't have access to a CD-quality download. This often means buying from secondary sellers on Amazon or such, including second hand (although new product is often as cheap as second hand). However, most often, I'll get an album from an online source, with many of these offering CD-quality as well as cover art and often PDFs of the liner notes. My sources include places like CDBaby, Bandcamp, the Canadian site Zunior (best prices, including excellent recent offerings by artists like Buffy Saint-Marie), label sites (e.g. Nonesuch) and various others. When pressed (and for albums where I don't particularly care about CD quality) I make use of my eMusic account, which has acceptable quality and prices half that of iTunes. In desperation I'll resort to iTunes.

I'll admit there are times when I've purchased a lossy file and gone to a pirate download for lossless. I don't feel very guilty.

I have boxes and boxes, sealed, stored in my basement, of CDs. Many never listened-to, just ripped. A pile of plastic that will become landfill one day, I'm sure.

The legal issues are not straightforward, although some here have claimed to "own" the CDs. True, but you don't own the music. You are technically speaking only allowed to listen, and perhaps make a copy for your own use. It's not really much different than a purchased download -- you can listen, make copies for yourself, but not make copies for others. While it may not be technically legal to pass on your collection to others (this isn't clear, it might be), as long as it is a single copy and others are deleted, I am absolutely certain that no one will take any official exception. So pass on your digital collection to your heirs. If properly backed up, it's probably more secure than on a CD, which is subject to it's own long-term physical mortality.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Interesting so many of the respondents here are still mainly buying CDs. The world is changing but apparently not everywhere.
    Well, I guess if we would mention our age category we would start to see a trend... :-)
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Lol....

I still have all my taken analogue pictures that i shot myself including the negatives.
    But i knew some pictures that i shoot with my digicam that are lost cause of a harddiskfailure or some thiefs who want my PC & NAS without asking me....

"everyone" can steal a NAS - "no one" would steal your CDs..

I buy lossles from the usual online sources mentioned in previus post + some more including HD tracks as a last resort . If thats not a posibilitty i buy a CD .

I rarely buy singles or one track at the time .

I consider artist that can not produce a full length album with mostly decent songs not worth my time anyway .

But ofcourse they are exceptions some songs just get stuck in your head and you must have them .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

As I posted before I do buy CDs almost exclusively but I have noticed that digital purchases of new releases often include stuff that isn't made available on the CD version but only if you opt for a deluxe CD/DVD or CD/Blu-ray box set which then leaves you the problem of ripping from the DVD or Blu-ray. I bought Rattle That Lock in 24/96 from Quboz for exactly that reason.

If this becomes the norm I might find myself buying more downloads. Never a single track though!
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Lol....

I still have all my taken analogue pictures that i shot myself including the negatives.
    But i knew some pictures that i shoot with my digicam that are lost cause of a harddiskfailure or some thiefs who want my PC & NAS without asking me....

"everyone" can steal a NAS - "no one" would steal your CDs..
    Well, I'm definitely a geezer, but that's no excuse to not float with the tide, at least to some extent.

If you have your CDs as your backup, they'll be gone in the flood or the fire. I back up all my music to multiple places at home (main archive on my computer, hard drive on my music server, the 320 mp3 copy on a separate drive). I also make a full backup of both lossless and lossy versions onto two small hard drives that I put in a safety deposit box at the bank.

And, of course, something like half or 2/3 of the total collection is in fact on CD, in those boxes in the basement.

As to digital photos, those are backed up on the same hard drives, at the bank. Including the old slide and negative images, the priceless ones professionally scanned to digital files.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

A pile of plastic that will become landfill one day, I'm sure.
    You're certainly right. Maybe I've to re-think why I'm doing this.

usenet and CD's

So that would be BOTH.

B4L