Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Do you buy tracks or albums?

A friend of mine - same age as me (50s) has started buying individual tracks to listen to. I had thought such behaviour was the prerogative of young un's with no perception of quality and ear buds jammed in their ears everywhere they go. Perhaps not.

I always buy albums and when I am listening seriously I always play albums in the "correct" order. I admit when I am working and music is playing in the background I do use smart mix and listen in a radio way.

What do others buy?
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Albums always, exception only being on very rare occasions when I want to compare covers of particular songs. Most of my purchases are actually from sites that don't sell individual tracks. I'm not a fan of the evil iEmpire.

R
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Albums - 99.99999999999% Once in a while I buy a single track (examples, a theme song from a TV show*, a pop song that my wife loves from her Zumba class). I'm also still a "buy the CD person". Not because I really want the physical product anymore, but because I want lossless files and I don't typically want hi-res. I do use Spotify to audition a lot of things so I find myself not buying a few things that I would have bought in the old days.

*although even then there have been times I've gone back an purchased the album as I learned more about the artist.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win8(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I have never bought a single track or a complete mp3/digital album. XCDs exclusively. Like RonM I am not a fan of the iEmpire

I am a CD buyer as well. I buy a lot second hand as like others I just then rip them to FLAC
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

I buy albums. Usually flac, occasionally mp3; CDs, vinyl LPs.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Most of the time I buy CD albums. This is a combination of new and secondhand. From time to time I buy album lossless downloads (depends on the price). And in very rare occasions I buy songs (download). When that happens it means that I really don't like the complete album.

I must admit that I would switch over to download completely if the price was right. I still find it unbelievable that some download albums are more expensive than the CD. I have sent an email to Qobuz once about this only to get a BS answer back.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Always buying albums as CDs to rip it to FLAC. Don't care about hi-res. Never bought a single track - except for the kids.
    And there have been rare exceptions where I bought a download album when a CD release was not planned.

I avoid downloads generally on the basis that you only purchase the right to listen to them whereas with a CD you purchase it outright. I want to leave my music collection in my will. Neither Son will probably want it but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I avoid downloads generally on the basis that you only purchase the right to listen to them whereas with a CD you purchase it outright. I want to leave my music collection in my will. Neither Son will probably want it but you never know.
    You could leave your NAS in your will. No one will check if its filled with downloaded music or ripped music :-)
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon