Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: NYC Taper

NYC Taper

http://www.nyctaper.com/category/ava...er-recordings/

Has anybody used this site and is it legal to download bootlegs from this site?

EDIT; Found this

DISCLAIMER and LEGAL NOTICE

nyctaper.com is a live music blog that offers a new paradigm of music distribution on the web. The recordings are offered for free on this site as are the music posts, reviews and links to artist sites. All recordings are posted with artist permission or artists with an existing pro-taping policy.

All recordings and original content posted on this site are @nyctaper.com as live recordings pursuant to 17 U.S.C. Section 106, et. seq. Redistribution of nyctaper recordings without consent of nyctaper.com is strictly prohibited.

nyctaper.com hereby waives all copyright claims to any and all recordings posted on this site to THE PERFORMERS ONLY. If any artist posted on this site requests that recordings be removed, those recordings will be removed forthwith.
    Last edited by SlimChances; 2015-10-06 at 14:37.
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1488878280 @ Wed Mar 8 14:09:34 UTC 2017
    Server HTTP Port Number: 9000 Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Audio::Scan: 0.95
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

I suspect that means no it's not legal in as much as its been recorded and posted without the artists express permission.
    I clicked on the 2014 listing and then on Glenn Tilbrook. The narrative talks about a direct feed from the soundboard provided by an employee of the venue in question. It does contain a link to Tilbrook's web site but ...
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I suspect that means no it's not legal in as much as its been recorded and posted without the artists express permission.
    I clicked on the 2014 listing and then on Glenn Tilbrook. The narrative talks about a direct feed from the soundboard provided by an employee of the venue in question. It does contain a link to Tilbrook's web site but ...

The disclaimer says "All recordings are posted with artist permission or artists with an existing pro-taping policy."
    Not certain how that differs from express permission. I guess the site complies with artists that want their work removed.
    In my case I was looking for more music by The War On Drugs and aside from the album I have it was mostly LPs or EPs and I found some concert material by them on NYC Taper. I will likely refrain from downloading from the site

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

NYCTaper is 100% Legal

The site is 100% legal. We have existed for more than 8 years and have received direct permission from hundreds of artists to post on the site.

Of the two artists you mention, War On Drugs and Glenn Tilbrook, both were permitted directly by the artist.

Tilbrook: I was contacted by the artist's PR with information about the upcoming City Winery show. I replied with a request to record the show, and after a few days the PR person responded that the artist had approved our recording. We were permitted early entry into the venue, and as the post notes, were also given SBD access (along with microphones in the room).

War On Drugs: I've been recording them since they were playing small rooms in front of 50 people. I am friends with a woman by the name of Emily who was their manager from 2010-2012. She granted us permission to record their shows in the early days, and then I met Adam the lead singer. Afterwards I dealt with Adam or Dave (the bassist). Adam actually gives me a shout out in the middle of one of the shows (track 5 "Coming Through" at the beginning of the track April 8, 2012). I believe War On Drugs have been on NYCTaper a total of 10 times.

Also, War On Drugs permits sharing of their recordings on archive dot org, read the section under "Rights" at their page at archive dot org.

[I would post links to these recordings and to archive dot org, but I can't post links yet here]

Any other concerns?

Quote Originally Posted by nyctaper View Post
    The site is 100% legal. We have existed for more than 8 years and have received direct permission from hundreds of artists to post on the site.

Of the two artists you mention, War On Drugs and Glenn Tilbrook, both were permitted directly by the artist.

Tilbrook: I was contacted by the artist's PR with information about the upcoming City Winery show. I replied with a request to record the show, and after a few days the PR person responded that the artist had approved our recording. We were permitted early entry into the venue, and as the post notes, were also given SBD access (along with microphones in the room).

War On Drugs: I've been recording them since they were playing small rooms in front of 50 people. I am friends with a woman by the name of Emily who was their manager from 2010-2012. She granted us permission to record their shows in the early days, and then I met Adam the lead singer. Afterwards I dealt with Adam or Dave (the bassist). Adam actually gives me a shout out in the middle of one of the shows (track 5 "Coming Through" at the beginning of the track April 8, 2012). I believe War On Drugs have been on NYCTaper a total of 10 times.

Also, War On Drugs permits sharing of their recordings on archive dot org, read the section under "Rights" at their page at archive dot org.

[I would post links to these recordings and to archive dot org, but I can't post links yet here]

Any other concerns?
    This is good to hear. It is a welcome change to see the advent of new presentations of music from sources other than the major labels, which I suspect have gouged both the artists and the consumers for many years. It is also refreshing to hear music in a more raw form. Thank You very much for providing your web site with it's wealth of information about new musicians as well as their music. The link you mentioned is https://archive.org/index.php

I will have a look at your archives it is always good to get acquainted with new music

Two SB Radios wireless

That is indeed a welcome reassurance. I withdraw my earlier comments.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes