Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Great Cheap Music -- Society of Sound

A year ago I bought a membership in Society of Sound -- apparently a Bowers and Wilkins (audio hardware) project. See it at http://www.bowers-wilkins.net/Societ...Subscribe.html.

Essentially, your membership allows you to download a set of posted music (in 16/44 and higher), with two new albums added a month. One of the two is always classical, the other is from some variant of pop or world music. The classical albums are mostly from the London Symphony Orchestra, most recently under Gergiev.

All are great recordings, apparently chosen for recorded quality. The LSO is one of the world's great orchestras (number 3 according to Grammophone). The pop/world side is curated by Peter Gabriel. The current offerings, available to members, are at https://www.bowers-wilkins.net/Downloads/downloads.html. As noted, two new ones are added every month, and two on the list scroll off.

So, I've built a nice library of LSO (and some other) classical recordings over the past year, and have encountered some great other music that I'd never have looked at otherwise. Annual subscription is US$59, so in effect I've paid very little for each of these high-quality recordings.

In theory, I could probably have acquired many of these for "free" had I wanted, but $59 for upwards of 40 recordings is a pretty good deal.

Just renewed. . . Recommended.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    A year ago I bought a membership in Society of Sound -- apparently a Bowers and Wilkins (audio hardware) project. See it at http://www.bowers-wilkins.net/Societ...Subscribe.html.

Essentially, your membership allows you to download a set of posted music (in 16/44 and higher), with two new albums added a month. One of the two is always classical, the other is from some variant of pop or world music. The classical albums are mostly from the London Symphony Orchestra, most recently under Gergiev.

All are great recordings, apparently chosen for recorded quality. The LSO is one of the world's great orchestras (number 3 according to Grammophone). The pop/world side is curated by Peter Gabriel. The current offerings, available to members, are at https://www.bowers-wilkins.net/Downloads/downloads.html. As noted, two new ones are added every month, and two on the list scroll off.

So, I've built a nice library of LSO (and some other) classical recordings over the past year, and have encountered some great other music that I'd never have looked at otherwise. Annual subscription is US$59, so in effect I've paid very little for each of these high-quality recordings.

In theory, I could probably have acquired many of these for "free" had I wanted, but $59 for upwards of 40 recordings is a pretty good deal.

I found a bunch of SoS recordings were upsampled or even null-padded from 16 to 24 bits. So I guess they prove that anything beyond 44.1/16 doesn't matter...
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    I found a bunch of SoS recordings were upsampled or even null-padded from 16 to 24 bits. So I guess they prove that anything beyond 44.1/16 doesn't matter...
    Doesn't matter to me, since I never get higher than 16/44 anyway, not being persuaded of the benefits of higher resolution.

Not surprising if it's the archival pop/world recordings, since some of these are older. I'd have thought the classical ones more likely, though.

Still excellent music and a great deal.

R
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post

I am interested in the sort of artists other than classical that are offered. I have a fairly large classical catalog but I rarely listen to it.
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1491339164 @ Wed Apr 5 04:19:41 UTC 2017
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

I was a member for a couple of years , got some good stuff . But decided to not go for another year . I simple get to much music I don't find the time to really listen to all I get . So my new policy is to add very rarely and only when I really like it .
    Another route to music overload is all the free or low price stuff on bandcamp .

However the SoS recordings often sound really good . Good to see that some record companies do care .

But for kicks do listen to some of the bandcamp stuff with smaller bands , they sometimes sound surprisingly good .
    Probably the lack of A&R and executive producers actively destroying the sound a modern paradox a more expensive production actually sounds worse......
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html