Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Recording from radio stream

Hi,

My LMS is cohabiting the same box as a MythTV media centre solution. One of the challenges I have been wanting to tackle for some time now has been scheduled recording "Radio" streams, for which I was originally intending to use MythTV recording functionality, then splitting the mp3 component out of the ts container file and discarding the rest, archiving the mp3 into MythMusic. However, there were problems with this approach, largely as the radio channel selection from my IP set top box is very hard to automate. Squeezebox /LMS seems like a much better way to go.

For the capture itself, I cold spit the s/pdif stream back into the server using toslink, but there may well be a much more elegant way of saving the stream direct to file, maybe using a variant of Triode's "Local player" plugin, which I could just direct to file instead of an audio output device.

Has anyone already done something similar, or is there a purpose-built recorder plugin, that I haven't seen?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Learnincurve View Post
    Hi,

My LMS is cohabiting the same box as a MythTV media centre solution. One of the challenges I have been wanting to tackle for some time now has been scheduled recording "Radio" streams, for which I was originally intending to use MythTV recording functionality, then splitting the mp3 component out of the ts container file and discarding the rest, archiving the mp3 into MythMusic. However, there were problems with this approach, largely as the radio channel selection from my IP set top box is very hard to automate. Squeezebox /LMS seems like a much better way to go.

For the capture itself, I cold spit the s/pdif stream back into the server using toslink, but there may well be a much more elegant way of saving the stream direct to file, maybe using a variant of Triode's "Local player" plugin, which I could just direct to file instead of an audio output device.

Has anyone already done something similar, or is there a purpose-built recorder plugin, that I haven't seen?

Cheers!
    Not sure why LMS has to be involved. Why not use somehting like VLC (or mplayer or ffmpeg) to convert the stream into a file and just schedule it to play using cron or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Not sure why LMS has to be involved. Why not use somehting like VLC (or mplayer or ffmpeg) to convert the stream into a file and just schedule it to play using cron or similar.
    If it is BBC Radio that the OP wishes to "record" then although VLC used to work it will no longer do so (after Aunty's changes). The only way I have managed recently is to listen to the stream while simultaneously recording it using Audacity or similar.
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    If it is BBC Radio that the OP wishes to "record" then although VLC used to work it will no longer do so (after Aunty's changes). The only way I have managed recently is to listen to the stream while simultaneously recording it using Audacity or similar.

If it is the BBC then use ffmpeg - at the moment it support HLS and output can be saved in a flac file. IIRC VLC doesn't support HLS.

In the days gone by I've used cron and streamripper to record ABC nigthly classical program (fantastic program, now cut down to playola...). A quick search found this site

http://alvinalexander.com/linux-unix...x-raspberry-pi
    George

Transporter->Pathos Logos->Triangle Celius
    Touch->Denon AVRS530BT -> Paradigm Monitor 7
    2 Duets, 1 SB3, 1 Touch, 1 Radio, Transporter
    OnePlus3 -> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, NAD Viso
    2 servers -> Ubuntu Linux, NUC and Synology 1 Bay

formerly known as Fletch
    Quote Originally Posted by matka View Post
    In the days gone by I've used cron and streamripper to record ABC nigthly classical program (fantastic program, now cut down to playola...). A quick search found this site

http://alvinalexander.com/linux-unix...x-raspberry-pi
    +1 for streamripper. I use it for some NPR recordings.

I discovered streamripper yesterday, which is fine, but it does involve me setting it up. What would be really good would be some way for the wife to hit "a red button" on the GUI to start recording , hence the question here. Our whole system is far too dependent on me knowing how everything works.

For "Listen on demand" here in Norway, the only way to save these seems to be the play through browser -> audacity trick.

Thanks everyone for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Learnincurve View Post
    I discovered streamripper yesterday, which is fine, but it does involve me setting it up. What would be really good would be some way for the wife to hit "a red button" on the GUI to start recording , hence the question here. Our whole system is far too dependent on me knowing how everything works.

For "Listen on demand" here in Norway, the only way to save these seems to be the play through browser -> audacity trick.

Thanks everyone for the feedback
    Why do you want to record a "Listen on demand" program ?
    They are available for at least 30 days and many much longer such as "In our Time"

Why do you want to record a "Listen on demand" program ?
    They are available for at least 30 days and many much longer such as "In our Time"
    But not all are accessible whilst on the move, travelling to work for example.
    There's only so much "drivetime" radio that can be listened to.

I'd also be interested in some pointers for BBC LOD.
    I've tried ffmpeg, but any online help seems to lean more toward format conversion or video playback.
    LMS Version: 7.9
    TranquilPC T2-WHS-A3 - WHS 2011
    2x Touch, 3x SB3

Quote Originally Posted by bonze View Post
    But not all are accessible whilst on the move, travelling to work for example.
    There's only so much "drivetime" radio that can be listened to.

I'd also be interested in some pointers for BBC LOD.
    I've tried ffmpeg, but any online help seems to lean more toward format conversion or video playback.
    the ffmpeg command line is very simple for flac output. Use differennt -f value for MP3 or I think just use extension mp3 on output file. The hard job is getting a url that is valid as it is only valid for a short time.

ffmpeg -i <urlofprog> -f flac output.flc