Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

View Poll Results: What of this two options is your preferred setup for a Squeezebox touch replacement?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raspberry PI 2 with touch display

46 75.41%
  • ODROID C1+ with DAC and touch display

15 24.59%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Squeezebox Touch functionality and Kodi, the All-In-One Mediaplayer with Max2Play

Hi,

I recently tested different setups with touch displays to get Squeezebox Touch feeling together with an easy setup. An additional important feature is the Kodi (XBMC) mediacenter to play video in addition to having a perfect multiroom audio setup. Everything is set up with the latest Max2Play version that can easily install and configure:

• touch display (3,2" with 320x240 px) with calibration
    • visualisation of squeezebox features (latest jivelite with skin addon for 320x240 display)
    • optional Squeezebox Server with Shairtunes2 addon for Airplay
    • Squeezelite as software player
    • Kodi as video player
    • lots of other applications, installable by web interface (Accesspoint, Samba Shares, WiFi, etc.)

First setup: Raspberry PI with touch display
    This one is the easy, good value for money setup, that has just one downside when using the headphone jack for audio, as it has not the best build-in DAC. The case looks quite nice and we already have a prebuild SD-Card-Image that just needs to be plugged in your Raspberry PI 2. If you are interested in a bundle that also offers powersupply and SD-card with Image you should have a look at our shop: http://shop.max2play.com/en/raspberr...e-display.html

Name:  max2play-touch1.jpg
Views: 5395
Size:  79.4 KB
    Name:  max2play-touch2.jpg
Views: 5382
Size:  92.5 KB

If you like to build this on your own, you should grab yourself a 3.2" touch display and use the latest Max2Play-version to install Jivelite, visualisation skins and the Display itsself. I will link the addon for installer of the Raspberry PI Display on the addons page of Max2Play.

Second Setup: new ODROID C1+ with HiFi-Shield and touch display (not having a case yet)
    This one has a little more power compared to the Raspberry PI, as the C1+ offers USB 3.0 and the EMMC-Cards are a lot faster compared to the class 10 SD-Cards in the Raspberry. This is mostly recognizable when you are running the Squeezebox Server on this device.
    The HiFi-Shield (high quality audio with 192Khz) and the touch display work very well together and really offer the best Squeezebox Touch experience.
    The downside is the price - compared to the Raspberry PI this setup already has a external DAC that is not too cheap (same price as C1+ board) and it also needs a case with an increased height due to that DAC.

Name:  c1_display_top.jpg
Views: 5360
Size:  87.4 KB
    Name:  c1_display_front.jpg
Views: 5353
Size:  84.5 KB

Depending on what you want to achieve, both setups might be interesting. Both setups are doing really well with the touch display. Kodi is working great in 1080p on both systems. Filesystem mounting (e.g. from a NAS) for the Squeezebox Server, WiFi-setup and other things are very easy thanks to Max2Play.

To use Kodi and watch videos on your TV, you need to start it via Web interface. Right now it is not possible to start kodi with the touch display, but this might be an option for the future.

We do not offer the C1+ bundle yet in our shop, as we are still looking for a well suited case and maybe build one if there is a high resonance on this one. If you are interested in the Prebuild EMMC-Card Image please let me know and I will put it on our download page.

What do you think about this 2 options and what features do you prefer? Please tell me your ideas!

Cheers,
    Stefan
    Last edited by flysurfer; 2015-08-31 at 07:38.
    2 x Max2Play on ODROID U2/U3 with LMS, Squeezelite, Shairport, XBMC
    1 x Squeezebox Receiver
    1 x Denon 1713 AVR + Nubert 5.1 System
    iPeng

Max2Play Webinterface and SD-Image: http://www.max2play.com/
    Max2Play Shop: http://shop.max2play.com/

Looks great. I had a ODROID XU-3 Lite but found the fan was too loud. How does that compare to the C1?
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1504317335 @ Mon Sep 4 07:13:56 UTC 2017
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi

Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Hi SlimChances,

the C1+ doesn't have a fan like the XU3 or XU4 and is very silent

Offtopic: For the XU3 you should use some kind of fan silencer to reduce the fan speed - otherwise it's really annoying loud.
    1 x Squeezebox Receiver
    iPeng

Thanks, I may revisit the Odroid and get a C1. Your project looks very interesting

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Judging by the pictures the screen size is slightly smaller than the original Touch. Personally I have always found the Touch screen too small at least for my Geezer eyes. I need to be a few feet away to read details on the screen. Just my view

Two SB Radios wireless

Am I guessing right, that you are not using a DAC like Hifiberry because it won't fit the casing and/or with the display? I love Pis, I have several working, but none with LMS, because I tuck them away somewhere, like behind the TV set. Mine all run KODI. I also built one with Hifiberry running Pi Music Box (Google Music, TuneIn) for my father to hook up with his B&O system.

I think what we need is a casing that bundles all ports/sockets on one side of the case. For my KODI boxes I use this one (Model B): https://www.pi-supply.com/product/sh...-raspberry-pi/
    Current setup:
    • EEEBox, Xubuntu 14.04, LMS 7.9, FLAC
    • Duet > Pro-Ject DAC Box E > AKG Hearo 888 Titan (home office), Boom + Canton ASF 75 SC (master bedroom), Boom (master bathroom), 2 Radios (guest bathroom and garden deck), RPi3 + LibreELEC + XSqueeze > Samsung TV > NAD L53 > Mission 2.1 speakers (living room)
    • Transporter > vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (42E equalizer, 42T tape deck + Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral Vulkan Mk II (music room)

Hi wortgefecht,

I really like the case you posted - but it offers no room for a display. Your are right: the Raspberry Pi makes it difficult to connect the display and the DAC simultanously to the GPIO Pins. That's why this Raspberry setup is missing an additional DAC. Maybe we get further on this problem in the next month. The C1+ has a separate connector for the HiFi-Shield what makes it easy to use the display and the DAC.
    1 x Squeezebox Receiver
    iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by flysurfer View Post
    Hi wortgefecht,

I really like the case you posted - but it offers no room for a display. Your are right: the Raspberry Pi makes it difficult to connect the display and the DAC simultanously to the GPIO Pins. That's why this Raspberry setup is missing an additional DAC. Maybe we get further on this problem in the next month. The C1+ has a separate connector for the HiFi-Shield what makes it easy to use the display and the DAC.
    I had the same problem connecting a DAC and a display at the same time to a Raspberry Pi. I did it the easy way and ordered a Manga screen (http://wiki.thing-printer.com/index....e=Manga_Screen), which connects to the HDMI/USB ports of the RasPi. This way I can connect a DAC and a touch screen at the same time without the usual GPIO connectivity issues. It is not the cheapest option but it works great with piCorePlaye/JiveLite and can be remote controlled wit a FLIRC adapter (touch is not working yet). Have not tried Max2Play yet, but will do so in the next couple of days. Still needs some kind of case

Name:  WP_20150813_19_05_12_Pro.jpg
Views: 5085
Size:  77.6 KB
    Last edited by kolossos4730; 2015-09-02 at 01:44.

You can now buy an official raspberry pi touch screen.. That would work well with this setup.. Good replacement if you touch fails.

Yes the Pi DVI Display would be perfect, should also be no problem to use Hifiberry Dac simultaneously.
    This would actually be a better setup than the original Touch.
    LMS 7.9.0 - 1470391720 on Pi2 (Max2play)
    Synology DS-414 NAS
    Squeezebox Touch, Squeezebox Boom, Squeezebox Radio, HifiBerry PicorePlayer
    Schiit - BIFROST AKM 4490 Dac
    Spotify Premium