Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    I've noticed noise at the analog output even on a relatively new computer. I solved that with a cheap USB to S/PDIF device, though it resamples everything to 48k.

Ancient Sony PS-X75 with a brand new Audio-Technica AT440MLa.

Maybe I should take a look at external USB stuff again just for fun.

Thanks to everyone for the responses!
    The Sony PS-X series with Biotracer arms are nice machines! I was looking for one locally last year but couldn't find any in good shape .

Yes, check out a USB ADC if you can / curious. Noise level extremely low these days although your Roland R-05 I assume is already excellent. Also the Roland's price is great for a 24/96 ADC already!
    Last edited by Archimago; 2015-07-29 at 09:58.
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

I've noticed noise at the analog output even on a relatively new computer. I solved that with a cheap USB to S/PDIF device, though it resamples everything to 48k.

Ancient Sony PS-X75 with a brand new Audio-Technica AT440MLa.

Maybe I should take a look at external USB stuff again just for fun.

Thanks to everyone for the responses!
    Just re-read your post and noted your comment about 3 TTs in which case the Behringer UFO202 may be more suitable. Essentially a DAC that includes a phono stage. Still cheap enough to give it a try before going more upmarket.
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    The Sony PS-X series with Biotracer arms are nice machines! I was looking for one locally last year but couldn't find any in good shape .
    I was a KID when I bought that thing...it's got to be 35 years ago now. It spent significant time in the shop after a few years but has been wonderful since (fingers crossed). I worry that no one will be able to work on it when the inevitable need eventually arises. I've also got a small, cheap linear tracking Technics SL-Q6 that sounds surprisingly good. I'd love to have a PS-X800, but they seem to go for $1,000 or more and would have the same service issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    Yes, check out a USB ADC if you can / curious. Noise level extremely low these days although your Roland R-05 I assume is already excellent. Also the Roland's price is great for a 24/96 ADC already!
    It probably is the price that makes me wonder if I can do better. I'm falling victim to the "It cost less than my car, it can't possibly be any good!" syndrome.

One thing I'm really having shoved in my face lately is how frustrating analog could be. I just transferred a nice 7-1/2 IPS reel from near the end of the pre-recorded days when they really sounded good. The underlying sound quality is very nice indeed...but apparently something went wrong during the duplication and it's full of obvious wow. And now I've come to realize that my cassette deck is apparently running slow...or, more accurately, is now running slower than it used to. I don't know if it's wrong now or was wrong prior to its last trip to the shop...for all I know, the shop corrected a long-running problem, but now I can't play back decades of tapes accurately. I've experimented with digital speed correction and found it OK on what was a pretty bad recording to begin with, I don't know if it will still sound good on something more demanding.

It probably is the price that makes me wonder if I can do better. I'm falling victim to the "It cost less than my car, it can't possibly be any good!" syndrome.

One thing I'm really having shoved in my face lately is how frustrating analog could be. I just transferred a nice 7-1/2 IPS reel from near the end of the pre-recorded days when they really sounded good. The underlying sound quality is very nice indeed...but apparently something went wrong during the duplication and it's full of obvious wow. And now I've come to realize that my cassette deck is apparently running slow...or, more accurately, is now running slower than it used to. I don't know if it's wrong now or was wrong prior to its last trip to the shop...for all I know, the shop corrected a long-running problem, but now I can't play back decades of tapes accurately. I've experimented with digital speed correction and found it OK on what was a pretty bad recording to begin with, I don't know if it will still sound good on something more demanding.
    Don't worry about the price man . As you know, price and accuracy are not synonymous! I had a look at the R-05 and certainly the promotional material sounds great even with the microphones. Line in I suspect must be excellent especially if you're dealing with the sonic limitations of LP and tape sources... Battery operated to boot. Didn't see any measurements however.

Ahhh, the joys and pains of being an analogue man! I'm certainly glad to be rid of all types of tape media - audio and video...
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

An update

Just before Christmas I took the plunge and got rid of my Living Room Sherwood TT and replaced it with an Onkyo CP1050 (back to that in a minute).
    In the meantime I had my Trio KD1033B serviced and at the same time got the Ortofon 2M Red mounted in my spare ADC Headshell. I put the Trio into my home office and started ripping (?) my vinyl to Flac using that instead of the Living Room Sherwood.
    I use Behringer ADC/DACs in both locations.
    The Trio / 2M Red combo produced far better results that the Sherwood so much so that it encouraged me to lose the Sherwood in the Living Room.
    I pondered an RP1 and RP2 and sone of the Project range. A mate has recently bought an RP1 so I gave his a good look at. In the end the cartridge options of a detachable headshell took over and having seen an Onkyo in a sale at less than £300 I bought it. Even with the stock AT something cartridge itís bloody good. I canít hear a wow or flutter and being a direct drive itís operation is silent. Itís right up there with the Trio. I sold the Sherwood for a few bob to someone who said they knew what they were doing but later contacted me to say it was a bit quiet plugged into his hifi (no preamp).
    I strongly recommend the Onkyo CP1050. Build quality is better than a low end Rega or Project by some distance.
    After 2 months I havenít yet felt any need to consider upgrading the cartridge. Itís that good.
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I pondered an RP1 and RP2 and sone of the Project range. A mate has recently bought an RP1 so I gave his a good look at. In the end the cartridge options of a detachable headshell took over
    Interesting - I've never owned many turntables in my life, but I don't recall ever feeling I've needed a detachable headshell - probably because I don't change cartridge terribly frequently. My venerable Planar 3 (something like 22-24 years old now) is still going strong, though maybe it's getting a bit like Trigger's broom, with replacement of a few parts recently, with the most significant mod being one of the new 24V motors.

At the moment, I'm using a Rega Fono Mini A2D as a phono stage and as an ADC for digitising vinyl. It has a USB port on the front plate, which is convenient.

I've been hanging out over at the VinylEngine forums lately.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.1 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    Interesting - I've never owned many turntables in my life, but I don't recall ever feeling I've needed a detachable headshell - probably because I don't change cartridge terribly frequently. My venerable Planar 3 (something like 22-24 years old now) is still going strong, though maybe it's getting a bit like Trigger's broom, with replacement of a few parts recently, with the most significant mod being one of the new 24V motors.

At the moment, I'm using a Rega Fono Mini A2D as a phono stage and as an ADC for digitising vinyl. It has a USB port on the front plate, which is convenient.

I've been hanging out over at the VinylEngine forums lately.

Robert
    I bought my Planar 3 in the late eighties to replace a Trio KD1033B and yes I also had the ADC headshell for the Trio and a replacement mat. Years later after reading a few threads about the Planar 3 running slightly fast I measured the speed of mine by counting revolutions against a stopwatch and sure enough it was slightly off. I found some very thin adhesive tape and applied it to the sub platter one layer at a time until the speed was spot on then convinced myself I could hear the difference .
    Unfortunately now that my Touch and amplifier are sitting on the TV stand I no longer have space for the turntable and it is in its box in the loft and all my vinyl is under the bed

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    ... and all my vinyl is under the bed
    To fit under a typical bed, the LPs are going to have to be laid flat.
    This is NOT A GOOD IDEA - storing LPs flat (and piled up on top of one another) tends to make them warp.
    LP records should be stored vertically, ideally with a small amount of side pressure.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    To fit under a typical bed, the LPs are going to have to be laid flat.
    This is NOT A GOOD IDEA - storing LPs flat (and piled up on top of one another) tends to make them warp.
    LP records should be stored vertically, ideally with a small amount of side pressure.
    Maybe but better there than in the loft with the temperature fluctuations.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I bought my Planar 3 in the late eighties to replace a Trio KD1033B and yes I also had the ADC headshell for the Trio and a replacement mat. Years later after reading a few threads about the Planar 3 running slightly fast I measured the speed of mine by counting revolutions against a stopwatch and sure enough it was slightly off. I found some very thin adhesive tape and applied it to the sub platter one layer at a time until the speed was spot on then convinced myself I could hear the difference .
    Unfortunately now that my Touch and amplifier are sitting on the TV stand I no longer have space for the turntable and it is in its box in the loft and all my vinyl is under the bed

My Trio KD1033B also with ADC and replacement mat is still in play in my office and is the main deck I use for digitising. The Onkyo is in the Living Room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dining Room -> SB Boom