Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I need a new turntable. Suggestions.

Budget is ú350/$500 - I guess that's low end for most of you but ...,
    Ideally I want an S shaped tone arm with a removable headshell - I have half a dozen ADC head shells with cartridges that I like to swap around.
    I do not need USB etc.
    I have scoured the hi fi forums and the likes of Project & Rega keep appearing but they have fixed arms.
    Any recommendations here?
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Budget is ú350/$500 - I guess that's low end for most of you but ...,
    Ideally I want an S shaped tone arm with a removable headshell - I have half a dozen ADC head shells with cartridges that I like to swap around.
    I do not need USB etc.
    I have scoured the hi fi forums and the likes of Project & Rega keep appearing but they have fixed arms.
    Any recommendations here?
    Curious what turntable were you using before to have gathered the shells and cartridges???

I have absolutely no regrets with my used Technics SL-1200M3D (got for about $350US last year locally):
    http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/07...s-sl-1200.html

I know many vinyl audiophiles poo-poo the whole direct drive thing but I must say that it did pretty well with some needledrop comparisons I did compared to my friend's much more expensive Roksan setup + Whest phono pre.

Speed stability just great despite >10 years old; this thing is a tank:
    http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/08...0-m3d-wow.html

Here's the Roksan TMS's numbers:
    http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/11...w-flutter.html

The recently AnalogPlanet reviewed Onkyo CP-1050 and Pioneer PL-30-K might be up your alley as well...

Good luck! Just make sure you have nice sounding cartridges .
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    Curious what turntable were you using before to have gathered the shells and cartridges???

I have absolutely no regrets with my used Technics SL-1200M3D (got for about $350US last year locally):
    http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/07...s-sl-1200.html

I know many vinyl audiophiles poo-poo the whole direct drive thing but I must say that it did pretty well with some needledrop comparisons I did compared to my friend's much more expensive Roksan setup + Whest phono pre.

Speed stability just great despite >10 years old; this thing is a tank:
    http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/08...0-m3d-wow.html

Here's the Roksan TMS's numbers:
    http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/11...w-flutter.html

The recently AnalogPlanet reviewed Onkyo CP-1050 and Pioneer PL-30-K might be up your alley as well...

Good luck! Just make sure you have nice sounding cartridges .
    I have seriously considered a second hand Technics SL 1210 and may end up there.
    To answer the headshell question. I have 2 decks - a Trio KD1033B circa 1975 which I love to bits but was broken for a while and so I bought a Technics clone in the form of a Sherwood PM9800.
    The head shells contain - an Ortofon VMS20E (my favourite but I struggle to get new styli), an Ortofon 2m Red, a Stanton 500E, an unknown cartridge that came with the Sherwood and an empty headshell that I am thinking of installing an AT95 into.
    I have considered the Onkyo - it fits all requirements - but has mixed reviews.
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

I have seriously considered a second hand Technics SL 1210 and may end up there.
    To answer the headshell question. I have 2 decks - a Trio KD1033B circa 1975 which I love to bits but was broken for a while and so I bought a Technics clone in the form of a Sherwood PM9800.
    The head shells contain - an Ortofon VMS20E (my favourite but I struggle to get new styli), an Ortofon 2m Red, a Stanton 500E, an unknown cartridge that came with the Sherwood and an empty headshell that I am thinking of installing an AT95 into.
    I have considered the Onkyo - it fits all requirements - but has mixed reviews.
    Good selection of cartridges there. Definitely the ability to switch headshells easily is a major plus IMO. I certainly would not give up this convenience; I really hate having to redo cartridge alignment each time... Recalibrating VTF is no big deal but getting out the protractor with each cartridge sucks IMO (I'm not enough of a masochist ). My buddy Ingemar at PrivateBits really loves his AT150MLX with the SL1210 but it is a bit more costly. We trade needle drops at times to listen to differences and the detail he can extract from that baby is excellent. However the AT sound seems to accentuate trebles. I've certainly noticed this with my old AT70 as well. Maybe not as much an issue with AT95?

I have a Stanton 890SA as well which is said to be excellent with a fancy Jico shibata stylus but I have never bothered to mailorder this from Japan. I really have no complaints with my affordable Denon DL-110 high output moving coil - certainly gives me some excellent detail retrieval with good all-round tonality (details maybe a little shy of the AT150MLX but I think it is more forgiving of old used albums). I personally am not into vinyl enough to spend much more since I still only buy used stuff / early pressings I never could afford when I was a kid. Most of the reissues these days originate from digital anyways so I happily stick to the CD or digital downloads.

What can I say, the ease of use, reliability and build quality of the genuine Technics is quite impressive compared to current competing models at that lower price range. And there are nice deals out there with patience looking around. One convenience I wouldn't mind having is automatic tonearm lifter at the end of the album like the Q-Up but unfortunately this isn't compatible. Oh well.

Have fun! There's great joy to be had in analogue world...
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

I second a Technics SL1200 MKx (or 1210). These turntables are fabulous and built like a tank. These will beat many "high-end" turntables.
    I'm using the Shure M97xE cartridge on it but I'm very curious to read about Archimago's experiences with the Denon DL-110 cartridge. (Thanks for the link to the article by the way).

On a side note, I'm interested in seeing where this will go: https://www.change.org/p/panasonic-c...ics-turntables :-)
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

The fact you have a selection of cartridges suggests to me that perhaps your planned use of the turntable may be a little outside the mainstream. What exactly is your goal here? Do you plan on selecting the best matched cartridge for each of your LPs? That seems a little over the top, unless your intention is to do needledrops (ie. digital transfer of LPs). If that is the case, then being able to easily switch cartridges to find the best match makes sense. And if that is indeed what you are planning, then you might also want a pickup arm that allows you to adjust VTA easily, and perhaps also fine pitch control.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

A used Technics is a fine solution but if you want something new the Audio-Technica 120/240/1240 and Stanton 92/150 meet your requirements.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...ton-Turntables
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...ica-Turntables

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    The fact you have a selection of cartridges suggests to me that perhaps your planned use of the turntable may be a little outside the mainstream. What exactly is your goal here? Do you plan on selecting the best matched cartridge for each of your LPs? That seems a little over the top, unless your intention is to do needledrops (ie. digital transfer of LPs). If that is the case, then being able to easily switch cartridges to find the best match makes sense. And if that is indeed what you are planning, then you might also want a pickup arm that allows you to adjust VTA easily, and perhaps also fine pitch control.
    Main use is transfer to FLAC. I have two rigs to do this - one in the Living Room (the Sherwood that is to be replaced), and one in my Office (the Trio) - both feed Behringer USB DAC's and I digitise using VinylStudio. My favourite cartridge by some way is the VMS20E but replacement styli are now ú150 a pop in Europe so I generally save that for "special" albums. I bought the 2M Red Plug & Play only to discover that the combined weight of the cartridge and headshell is just too much for either deck so I going to get it remounted into an empty ADC headshell.
    I am happy to stick with 16bit/44.1Khz but recently decided to switch from 320Kbps VBR0 Mp3 to FLAC so I am re-doing the whole process. I was about 70% through my vinyl with the Mp3 conversion.
    In truth I do most of the digitising in the Office so the Sherwood in the Living Room isn't that important but it bugs me that it is a cheap (belt drive) Technics clone. The arm is OK though but it still won't happily take the 2M Red Plug & Play.
    I believe the Technics 1200/1210 does have VTA ? If the Onkyo mentioned had better reviews I'd go there.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    A used Technics is a fine solution but if you want something new the Audio-Technica 120/240/1240 and Stanton 92/150 meet your requirements.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...ton-Turntables
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...ica-Turntables
    They do indeed. Except that neither Stanton comes with a proper lid - the 92 comes with a cloth cover (no proper lid available that I can see) but the 150 requires a separately purchased lid. The latter is also rather over budget at ú500 plus the lid.

The AT120 is a possibility but its no Technics 1200/1210
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    I second a Technics SL1200 MKx (or 1210). These turntables are fabulous and built like a tank. These will beat many "high-end" turntables.
    I'm using the Shure M97xE cartridge on it but I'm very curious to read about Archimago's experiences with the Denon DL-110 cartridge. (Thanks for the link to the article by the way).

On a side note, I'm interested in seeing where this will go: https://www.change.org/p/panasonic-c...ics-turntables :-)
    Oh yeah, I have that Shure M97xE as well (as per the listening test). Excellent cartridge for the price!

I signed that petition about a year ago; still haven't heard anything from Panasonic I guess... I'm wondering in the DJ'ing community, what's the demand for traditional turntables like over the years? I did a friend's birthday party with the free Mixxx software a few months ago and I think it came out sounding pretty good even though it was the first time using the program.