Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbarker32 View Post
    I would like to agree with the OP. The LMS web interface is usable but hopelessly outdated. I use Plex and LMS. I have been using LMS for more than 10 years and have three servers running both for safety and redundancy.

I recently tried to get a fellow audiophile to use LMS and Picoreplayer and he was very turned off by the outdated LMS interface and perceived complexity in setting up LMS. I mentioned Ipeng, etc. but he was already fed up. He much prefers the MPD based players using RPi and really likes RUNE Audio (not Roon) which is by default able to connect directly to his SMB (Samba) based NAS share. So with RUNE Audio he downloads the image and burns to a microSD and plugs it into his RPi and he points it towards his SMB NAS share and he is done. LMS can't compete with this scenario! He says it can scan 1 tb of music in 5 minutes which if true is much faster than LMS. It take LMS close to an hour to scan my 2.5 tb music collection.

I am very active using Picoreplayer project as well as my existing Touch and SB3 players but I am very concerned for the fate of LMS if no way can be found to bring it's technology and interface up to modern standards?

-CB
    I tried Rune (also Volumio), but found the versatility of LMS far superior for my needs (though I liked the web interface). I didn't find Rune easy to connect to Spotify, nor did I find connecting to local hard drives or my NAS particularly straightforward. I don't spend a lot of time setting up LMS, since I do it so infrequently, and scans take about 6 minutes for over 25,000 tracks (longer if I clear the database and rescan everything, but I don't do that often).

I really should give a more recent version of Rune a whirl.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Wouldn't that work by enabling the UPnP plugin (not the UPnPbridge one that allows you to control UPnP-players through LMS but Andy's that exports Squeezeboxes as UPnP players)
    Can you expand upon this? What would be required to have Squeezeboxes show up as Plex players?

I don't fully remember and I don't know whether that's still part of LMS but there was a plugin to expose Squeezeboxes as UPnP players. Have a look at all the UPnP plugins LMS shows, this should be in the description
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    I don't fully remember and I don't know whether that's still part of LMS but there was a plugin to expose Squeezeboxes as UPnP players. Have a look at all the UPnP plugins LMS shows, this should be in the description
    Anyone else tried this?

As much as I love LMS, it's just getting a bit old/inflexible for me. I'd prefer to move to a Plex-based system for music, but I have two Transporters, Touches, etc. that I don't really want to scrap. And I'm not aware of any client that Plex supports that is even remotely close to the sound quality of a Transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by SamS View Post
    As much as I love LMS, it's just getting a bit old/inflexible for me.
    What flexibility do you lack?
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    What flexibility do you lack?
    Lack of streaming outside the home
    Lack of support for voice control
    Lack of a common platform/hardware that supports local music library + Apple Music (i.e. AppleTV 4/4K with the Plex app)

Lack of streaming outside the home
    Lack of support for voice control
    Lack of a common platform/hardware that supports local music library + Apple Music (i.e. AppleTV 4/4K with the Plex app)
    The first two are possible in LMS.
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...cting_remotely
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...opment-thread)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Too risky, without setting up a dedicated Apache server/VPN/similar. And just too fiddly! Plex "just works".

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    This is way to alpha/beta for me to rely on at the present time. Most of the voice control features would be used by my wife/kids, so stability for this functionality is the highest priority.

Too risky, without setting up a dedicated Apache server/VPN/similar. And just too fiddly! Plex "just works".

This is way to alpha/beta for me to rely on at the present time. Most of the voice control features would be used by my wife/kids, so stability for this functionality is the highest priority.
    The Alexa app is probably better than Sonos have at the moment and is working well for me.

I agree about the security risk without a VPN. I just use Spotify when travelling.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Given the severe limitations that voice control solutions impose at the moment, your best bet is to invest 90 usd on a new amazon echo for your wife and kids.
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------