Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by MelonMonkey View Post
    I'm going to be VERY generous here. Plex is at least 10 years (of full-time development) behind LMS. Again, that's being VERY generous. I'm not holding my breath for Plex to have caught up in 10 years. I let it scan my music library, but playback is almost exclusively via LMS with iPeng as a controller - I can render/play the music on almost every device throughout my home, plus portables (Squeeeboxes, iPhones, iPads, AndroidTV, AppleTV, AVR/AVP, etc.)

A regular consumer can't and won't set up a Plex server. Let's not kid ourselves here. I support a lot of family and friends for IT and media expertise. None of them are stupid, but none of them could even begin to wrap their heads around setting up Plex properly, especially for use with music.
    I'm not following. You use Apple TV, AVRs as LMS, or Plex clients?

I don't let Plex anywhere near my music, but it's great for video. At least on Windows, the server is trivial to install and clients exist for Roku and Samsung smart TV. Not sure what would make it easier and it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by SamS View Post
    I'm not following. You use Apple TV, AVRs as LMS, or Plex clients?
    LMS. With Philippe's bridge plugins you can send music practically anywhere: "playback is almost exclusively via LMS with iPeng as a controller"

Plex isn't free for playback on mobile devices, but it's low priced enough that it might as well be. I have a lifetime Plex Pass as well so I can use the Home feature with managed user profiles (but also because I wanted to give back to help them continue development). Its much easier to use, set up and maintain than LMS and it's what I install for friends/family. Remote playback is also great and pretty seamless without any port forwarding nor other firewall mods (requires UPNP support though).
    Last edited by MelonMonkey; 2017-12-17 at 16:07.

The new plexamp app seems interesting. They announced today that they have a stand alone music app based on winamp that supports gapless payback and more. It's for desktop currently.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

They are closing in. Testing the new plexamp and works great both gapless AND volume normalization based on EBU R128.

Looks like the finaly going to use that in server to for users with Plex pass.

All we need now is a headless plexamp that can run on Raspberry PI.

Think I'm going for Plex pass and Plex Premium Music then there is a easy way to run the client on Raspberry PI.
    SB Touch to Hegel H90, Boston Acoustics A26.
    SB 3 to Audio Pro T3.
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro C5 and Hegel H90.
    SB BOOM
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

They have gapless playback but still no FLAC+CUE support yet. Until then, LMS rules.

The more I use the Plex interface on iOS and tvOS, the more I like it for music playback.

As soon as there is a audio-focused playback device (near Transporter quality), I'll have to seriously consider ditching LMS/Squeezeboxes. My family cares nothing about local library playback, preferring Siri/Alexa for on-demand music playback.