Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest Plex updates Music features

I'm a big fan and user of Plex which I use to manage all my Videos that I play to various computers and Roku devices around the house.

While I am a long time Squeezebox user and love its flexibility and community resources, I also feel it is dropping further and further behind in the web interface due to it being in maintenance mode only. If Logitech was still active in developing the product one could hope that new HTML5 web interfaces would eventually be developed?

Is there any hope that the Squeezebox web interface will ever be modernized?

Maybe there would be more hope for a squeezelite plugin being developed for Plex?

Plex Music Goes to Eleven!

And a good video summary of th new features:

Plex Music Video

-CB
    Last edited by ctbarker32; 2015-04-30 at 16:47.

The funnny thing is they show an app in the video. There exist a number of high-quality apps for controlling LMS.

Quote Originally Posted by ctbarker32 View Post
    I'm a big fan and user of Plex which I use to manage all my Videos that I play to various computers and Roku devices around the house.

While I am a long time Squeezebox user and love its flexibility and community resources, I also feel it is dropping further and further behind in the web interface due to it being in maintenance mode only. If Logitech was still active in developing the product one could hope that new HTML5 web interfaces would eventually be developed?

Is there any hope that the Squeezebox web interface will ever be modernized?

Maybe there would be more hope for a squeezelite plugin being developed for Plex?

Plex Music Goes to Eleven!

And a good video summary of th new features:

Plex Music Video

-CB
    Plex is indeed fine for videos. However, at least for a large music collection it is a pain. Scanning the music file collection is very slow. A music search on basis of genre, composer and other categories as provided by LMS and can be refined using certain plug ins is not possible.

The artist pages with information and content from external providers is fine, but requires the subscription for the Plex pass. In LMS you can have similar or even more detailed information by means of the Biography plug in and the Album Review plug in. However, a more elegant user experience which could be achieved the integration of the plug in information in the artist pages and album pages selectable via the artist and album menus of the man menue would be a substantial improvement of the web user interface of LMS.
    1 transporter with touch for controlling,
    1 squeezebox 3
    6 squeezebox radio
    3 squeezebox controllers
    ipeng on IPhones and IPads
    LMS with MusicIP under Windows 8.1 Pro virtualized (VMWare Workstation 12 Pro)
    under Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials on Dell PowerEdge T630 with 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630L v3 @ 1.80 GHz 8 core CPUs and 32 GB;
    LMS unter Max2Play on Odroid XU4;
    LMS unter Windows Homeserver 2011 on Compulab Intense PC (Intel i5, 2.1 GHz, 8 GB)

A plugin that make Squeezebox show up as a player in Plex would be fun.

Using Shairplay and Plex app on iPhone I can get the same function but the music gets transcoded and Replay Gain and Gapless playback is lost.

Maybe a project for someone with the same need and the programming skills to make it happen. 😉

Regards
    Bernt
    SB Touch to Yamaha A-S501, Boston Acoustics A26.
    SB 3 to Audio Pro T3.
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro C5.
    SB BOOM
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Wouldn't that work by enabling the UPnP plugin (not the UPnPbridge one that allows you to control UPnP-players through LMS but Andy's that exports Squeezeboxes as UPnP players)
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Wouldn't that work by enabling the UPnP plugin (not the UPnPbridge one that allows you to control UPnP-players through LMS but Andy's that exports Squeezeboxes as UPnP players)
    As I understand it the SB see PMS but they don't show up as players in PMS and can not be controled by PMS.

By the way, do you mean DNLA?
    SB 3 to Audio Pro T3.
    SB BOOM
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

The mechanisms behind LMS are fine, but I agree that the web interface is in dire need of some revamping. It is getting embarrassingly outdated.

I'm sure a good web designer could come up with a more modern experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb31 View Post
    The mechanisms behind LMS are fine, but I agree that the web interface is in dire need of some revamping. It is getting embarrassingly outdated.

I use iPeng for controll via my iPad it gives modern experience . I view the web-UI more like an admin interface then it can look whatever ?

But even as a ui its ok for me it gets the jobb done i can select and play the stuff i want ?

You can improve UI but just a more modern look would not help much . You got to focus on the user interaction what should the user do etc .

A modern flat design with no visible controls a lot of whitespace and 3pt ligth grey text would not help . Then I actually prefer some 90's clutter with big colorfull very obvius buttons design for the sake of design is not good.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb31 View Post

Yes, LMS is the best music server software but it's a kind of boring to use. I use iPeng and Soundicity to control the players but still. Take a look at Plex music library with LastFM.

I like the shuffle button on the artist page. In LMS when I shuffle an artist I tend to forget to turn shuffle of and it's a bit annoying next time I play a album.

Name:  plex1.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  65.7 KBName:  plex2.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  133.3 KB

Oh, and this one is nice to. Popular tracks.

Name:  plex3.png
Views: 1112
Size:  172.1 KB
    Last edited by bernt; 2016-11-30 at 23:51.
    SB 3 to Audio Pro T3.
    SB BOOM
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

I'm just fine with the web interface the way it is. I find it easy to use and will work on just about any device with a browser. What's behind the webUI face that is most important! I also like the Duet controller.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave