Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    The trouble with commercial/consumer NAS solutions is that the value is very poor. As a simple backup target or file server for a couple of users, it's not so bad, as there's no real need for performance. So, if you pay 3x as much as you would for a comparable system, at least you don't notice it.

But as soon as you ask the system to run any kind of application server such as LMS, then all you're doing is screwing yourself by not investing the time to assemble a cheaper system with faster hardware that will be more pleasurable to use.
    4 to 5 years ago I would have agreed with you on this. But the gap is closing. Just take a look at the specs of the current entry models by Synology and others (for home use). They proberbly listened to you and pumped up the specs. So where as LMS isn't more demanding over time, the commercial overall nas preformance in increased considerably.
    -LMS on Raspian Stretch -> 2x Radio
    -RPI 3 (Mopidy + Raspotify), Allo Boss DAC- Exposure 3010S2 - PMC FB1i

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    The trouble with commercial/consumer NAS solutions is that the value is very poor. As a simple backup target or file server for a couple of users, it's not so bad, as there's no real need for performance. So, if you pay 3x as much as you would for a comparable system, at least you don't notice it.

But as soon as you ask the system to run any kind of application server such as LMS, then all you're doing is screwing yourself by not investing the time to assemble a cheaper system with faster hardware that will be more pleasurable to use.
    Could you share what kind of build you have in mind?

And the Winner is

Quote Originally Posted by poing View Post
    Could you share what kind of build you have in mind?
    Thanks to the information shared in this forum and collected on the internet I have purchased
    the Synology DS214Play with 2 WD RED 4 Tb hard drives - RAID 1. The kit arrived within less than a day and
    setting up LMS from the Synology package center and scanning an 9000 tracks FLAC music library was done
    in about 10 minutes. Streaming to the both SB classic and one Duet Receiver works exactly as from the PC.
    My only concern was that according to Synology documentation the LMS package when running would
    inhibit the DS to go into hibernation. Luckily this proved to be wrong. So using WOL and hibernation
    the DS / LMS server comes alive whenever I start up one of the Squeezebox receivers and shuts down
    20 minutes ( would like to reduce this, but minimum is 10 + 10 minutes), after playing music has stopped.
    All in all very happy with this solution.

PS. The reason for choosing DS214Play over other DS214xxx is because of larger RAM and faster Atom dual core processors.

I quickly looked at the advertised Synology Video Station package, but since DTS sound is not supported because of licence issues
    this capability is useless for me. The Plex multimedia server package is the better alternative.

still doesn't access contents on QNAP TS-212

Hi Terry,
    I downloaded the [LogitechMediaServer_7.7.2_arm-x19.qpkg] then installed to TS-212 but still the Logitech Transporter SE doesn't access contents of the NAS.
    I tested the Transporter with Windows7 based PC that worked well, that saying the transporter successfully accessed contents (mainly MP3 files) but not for the TS-212 :-(

And for the starter, I unfortunately don't have proper knowledge what actually SSODS meant.
    I downloaded http://oinkzwurgl.org/ssods_downloads the [ssods-4.14-arm.tar.gz] then upzip the files.
    And I don't know what I need to do next...
    I just want the Transporter access contents of the QNAP TS-212.

Thanks for your helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    starter file available here

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=35740

you may have to register

try this http://www.qnapclub.be/QPKG/LMS/Logi....2_arm-x19.zip

Also, install LMS on a computer and see if your transporter will find it, In LMS left hand pane of the web gui select Radio>Staff Picks> and play a radio station

Can you see the Logitech Media Server running on the QNAP? Can you open the Logitech Media Server control page? Are you able to complete a scan of the library?

Terry

@ Myongkie

A few more suggestions

Do you you have your music files on the NAS in a Share folder?

Have you set the correct access permissions for the folder?

With the LMS installed on the NAS you should be able to find the correct Share folder in the LMS web gui tree,

Settings>Basic Settings>Media Folders> Browse

On your Windows computer go to Network, right click on Qnap NAS and your Share folders should be shown. Select the folder with your music files and map it to a drive, restart the computer (maybe the NAS as well) and the folder should appear as a Drive (e.g..Z).

Try installing LMS (as administrator) on your computer and try to access the music folder.

atb

Ronnie

I've been running LMS (and SBS before that) on old Buffalo LinkStations and more recently on a QNAP TS-120. I recently acquired a QNAP TS-251 which uses an Intel Celeron processor. When I went to set up LMS on it, I was surprised to find that QNAP had removed LMS from the app center. After searching around, I found the 7.7.2 QPKG for x86 and installed it on the TS-251. It seems to run OK. But now reading this thread, I'm concerned about the potential security vulnerabilities related to SSODx.

So here's my question: The TS-251 with 8GB RAM supports virtualization. Is it feasible or practical (or maybe non-sensical) to run a virtual instance of Windows or another OS on the QNAP, and install a non-QPKG version of LMS?

I have no experience running virtualization on QNAP, but if it makes sense in this situation, I'll figure out how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TiredLegs View Post
    I've been running LMS (and SBS before that) on old Buffalo LinkStations and more recently on a QNAP TS-120. I recently acquired a QNAP TS-251 which uses an Intel Celeron processor. When I went to set up LMS on it, I was surprised to find that QNAP had removed LMS from the app center. After searching around, I found the 7.7.2 QPKG for x86 and installed it on the TS-251. It seems to run OK. But now reading this thread, I'm concerned about the potential security vulnerabilities related to SSODx.

So here's my question: The TS-251 with 8GB RAM supports virtualization. Is it feasible or practical (or maybe non-sensical) to run a virtual instance of Windows or another OS on the QNAP, and install a non-QPKG version of LMS?

I have no experience running virtualization on QNAP, but if it makes sense in this situation, I'll figure out how to do it.

I think it is possible, I seem to remember someone in the US doing just that (I think called Bruce), but before playing, look over here and give this a try

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...794#post818794

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    I think it is possible, I seem to remember someone in the US doing just that (I think called Bruce), but before playing, look over here and give this a try

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...794#post818794
    Thanks for that link. I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by poing View Post
    Kev,
    The latest version supported on Synology NAS systems is 7.7.3. My impression is that they don't really care about the LMS package (anymore). It's doubtful in my mind there will be further updates; they might even pull the package at some point.
    Synology published LMS 7.9 in their beta channel back in July. I'm running it fine on 2014 hardware.