Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    Much of this is over my head. First, I have no idea at all how, or whether, I can get IPv6 addresses to work with my ISP and router. Secondly every ubuntu system I've tried to set up seems to have dnsmasq errors at startup, and I don't understand it all. So all I did was to set my router/gateway to have one Google and one ISP DNS address.

If there are serious and general steps that many could take to improve things, this topic might be better of with a new thread.

I thought you liked to keep things 'simple'?
    My ISP's DNS issue were bad enough I couldn't keep things simple.

IPv6 is only an option if your ISP provides it, mine (Andrews and Arnold) does. It's probably not a big part of the problem, but seemed worth doing since all I had to do was put in Google DNS's IPv6 addresses rather than IPv4.

dnsmasq never gave me errors on startup on Raspbian, but it's not a standard package. I had to install it.

The biggest issue as I see it is the rubbish DNS caching in Windows which ignores all expiry times and just keeps using the cached results. If addresses change then this goes wrong. Having turned off DNS cachng in Windows it then looks all names up over broadband every time, and my broadband is too slow for that to be acceptable. So I needed a computer to do the caching instead of Windows, and I settled on dnsmasq on the Pi.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
    My ISP's DNS issue were bad enough I couldn't keep things simple.

IPv6 is only an option if your ISP provides it, mine (Andrews and Arnold) does. It's probably not a big part of the problem, but seemed worth doing since all I had to do was put in Google DNS's IPv6 addresses rather than IPv4.

dnsmasq never gave me errors on startup on Raspbian, but it's not a standard package. I had to install it.

The biggest issue as I see it is the rubbish DNS caching in Windows which ignores all expiry times and just keeps using the cached results. If addresses change then this goes wrong. Having turned off DNS cachng in Windows it then looks all names up over broadband every time, and my broadband is too slow for that to be acceptable. So I needed a computer to do the caching instead of Windows, and I settled on dnsmasq on the Pi.
    Thanks. As a matter of interest how are you doing the caching? Is your Windows LMS server passing all internet requests through your Pi, or using it as a local DNS server?
    LMS 7.9.1 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 17.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. Touch & EDO. 2nd Touch standard.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Alternatively Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 17.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

BBCiPlayer Plugins - an alternativequickfix guide

Hi

> FWIW, my LMS machine has always been connected to my router with via

Powerline Network Adapters and I've not seen a hint of this issue

Ditto on this, but I'm also using OpenDNS.

I've also move things around recently so that my LMS box (Synology 214play)
    is plugged directly into the router and I'm not seeing any difference.

It may now be a specific provider issue?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    Thanks. As a matter of interest how are you doing the caching? Is your Windows LMS server passing all internet requests through your Pi, or using it as a local DNS server?
    My Pi's local IPv4 address is given out by the router's DHCP as the DNS server. So only DNS goes through the Pi, the router is still the gateway and all other external traffic goes directly there.

If you are running a relatively new ubuntu release (13.04 or newer) or some other linux distro, with a release of LMS prior to 7.9, and having problems with getting anything to play on older SB devices and some software players, see the first post 3(d). One user has been able to make the system work with some older LMS devices such as Boom and Classic.
    LMS 7.9.1 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 17.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. Touch & EDO. 2nd Touch standard.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Alternatively Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 17.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

I'm now running the new faad.exe on my Windows Home Server v1 box. My only player is a Duet Receiver so faad.exe is used to play all iPlayer stuff, live or listen again. I'm running the official LMS 7.8.0 release:

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.8.0 - 1395409907 @ Thu Mar 27 20:19:17 CUT 2014
    Hostname: ripnas
    Server IP Address: 172.27.151.104
    Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
    Operating system: Windows Home Server - EN - cp1252
    Platform Architecture: 586
    Perl Version: 5.14.1 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
    Total Players Recognized: 2

The second player recognised is SqueezePlay which I run on my laptop to control the Receiver, but I almost never use SqueezePlay as an actual player.

So far Radio 2 live is playing fine with the new faad.exe.

EDIT: I've now played all the ALAC I own just to give that a bit of a test through faad.exe. This is the Mike Oldfield online release of Tubular Bells remix inc 5.1 FLAC. For reasons I now forget I also got the stereo ALAC (16/44.1), but it does give me some ALAC to test and it's OK on this small test.
    Last edited by Owen Smith; 2015-04-13 at 08:47.

Plea for help from an illiterate. I've installed triode's iPlayer plugin on the LMS on my Synology NAS. How do I access this on my Squeezebox Radio?

PS Apologies for the tech ignorance!

Quote Originally Posted by stannoo View Post
    Plea for help from an illiterate. I've installed triode's iPlayer plugin on the LMS on my Synology NAS. How do I access this on my Squeezebox Radio?

PS Apologies for the tech ignorance!
    Choose My Music on main menu ... this should display your LMS device - choose

On main menu choose Radio - BBCiplayer
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Choose My Music on main menu ... this should display your LMS device - choose

On main menu choose Radio - BBCiplayer
    Well I'm a long term SqueezeBox user and I have no idea what your first line is about. I hope it makes more sense to the original poster, is it specific to the Radio UI?

Brilliant castalla - all up and running. Even got live sport back in time for the test matches! Thanks so much.

Great to see the familiar names from the BBC blogs here! Glad someone is doing something about this mess even if it isn't the Beeb.