Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

BBCiPlayer plugin - a quick fix guide

Read this first!

A BBCPlayer plugin update has been released - you may want to install the update rather than 'fix' the old plugin. A quick fix guide is here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...uick-fix-guide

================================================== =====

The original BBCiPlayer plugin is broken for both live and Listen Again (LA) streams.

The damage is due to the work of the BBC's Audio Factory.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The BBCiPlayer plugin is a LMS plugin.

The BBC Radio applet is a separate facility that can be installed directly on only the Touch and Radios
    These fixes DO NOT apply to the applet. See Addendum 1. below for more info.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIXING the BBCiPlayer plugin
    ============================

There are temporary fixes for both live and LA. These are due to the sterling work of bpa & expectingtofly.

They may be broken by the Beeb again at any time!

This method comes with no liabilities on the poster or any of the other contributors!
    You break it, you own it!

Both methods require that you are comfortable with manipulating some files located in the plugin directory.
    See note a. below for the plugins folder location details.

You can fix both live and LA, or you can fix only one feature - your choice.

You need to ensure that the BBCiPlayer is already installed to make the fixes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. Fixing LIVE streams

This method will enable live streams. These now use a technology called HLS.

Full instructions for installing the new PlayHLS plugin are here:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...hlight=PlayHLS

And to correct the addresses (URLs) of the live radio channels, you also have to change the menu.opml file (in the BBCiPlayer folder) to one of the files listed here (remember to change the name of the replacement to menu.opml):
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post807276

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B. Fixing LISTEN AGAIN streams

There are two solutions.
    One involves a change for the existing technology, called RTMP.
    The other is somewhat more experimental and entails changes for the new HLS format.

The RTMP fix retains the stop-seek-restart features for moving to any part of a radio programme. RTMP streams can access 320 kbps Radio 3 Listen Again
    The HLS fix doesn't support seek. HLS streams can only access 128 kbps Radio 3 Listen Again

WARNINGS

!! Choose only one method!
    !! Do not mix the fixes!

The attached files contain the recent fix (thanks to bpa!) to display programme icons

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RTMP fix: requires ONE replacment file
    ======================================

1. Download and copy the file: RTMP-BBCXMLParser.pm to the BBCiPlayer plugin folder

2. Rename the existing BBCXMLParser.pm to ORIGINAL-BBCXMLParser.pm

3. Rename RTMP-BBCXMLParser.pm to BBCXMLParser.pm

4. Delete the cache.db file in the /.../squeezeboxserver/cache folder

5. Reboot or Restart LMS

HLS fix: requires TWO replacement files
    ===================================

This requires that the PlayHLS plugin is also installed. See A. above before proceeding.

1. Download and copy the file: HLS-BBCXMLParser.pm to the BBCiPlayer plugin folder

2. Rename the existing BBCXMLParser.pm to ORIGINAL-BBCXMLParser.pm

3. Rename HLS-BBCXMLParser.pm to BBCXMLParser.pm

4. Download and copy the file: HLS-iPlayer.pm to the BBCiPlayer plugin folder

5. Rename the existing iPlayer.pm to ORIGINAL-iPlayer.pm

6. Rename HLS-iPlayer.pm to iPlayer.pm

7. Delete the cache.db file in the /.../squeezeboxserver/cache folder

8. Reboot or Restart LMS

-----------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

a. The files you need to change are located in the /.../squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/BBCiPlayer

On some Windows installations the files are located in /squeezebox/...

You can locate the location of the cache files for your installation via LMS-gui - Settings - Information page

b. When you replace the program and/or menu files, you need to make sure they are still owned by the squeezebox user. This can vary for different LMS versions and platforms so no single set of instructions can be given on how to do it. To check, look at the full details of all the programs in the BBCiPlayer directory. The modifications should have the same access rights (read, write, execute and so on) as the other similar files in that directory.

c. There are some idiosyncratic steps for some systems - see the postings below if you have a Vortexbox, etc.

d. If you get lost (!), simply uninstall and reinstall the BBCiPlayer plugin, and
    start again!

e. If you encounter any errors in the above, please PM me and I'll try to correct the text.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks to PasTim for suggestions and corrections to my first attempts to write this guide
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you find this guide useful, please sign the petition at:

https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-tru...ail_responsive

Addendum 1

The BBC Radio applet is installed directly on the Radio & Touch. There is a partial fix available which enables the Listen Again feature (not Live streams):

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post810788
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by castalla; 2015-03-31 at 13:42.
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops - mistyped the thread title! It's Quick not Guick !!!
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    FIXING the BBCiPlayer plugin
    Excellent. It's very kind and helpful of you to put this together.

Good idea to create this summary.

Can you amend the pros and cons to include that it is only with the RTMP streams that you can access the 320 kbps Radio 3 Listen Again (the HLS streams that the HLS hack accesses are all 128 kbps).

I think this is very important for anyone who might want to listen to Radio 3 Listen Again.
    Touch, Meridian G92, Meridian G55, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Big thanks to everyone.

Just followed the good instructions for the RTMP Listen Again, and I now have it working again.

Fingers crossed it stays that way ...

Brilliant! Couldn't get it to work yesterday futzing around inside files, but a swift replace using your instructions did the trick.

Thanks for the clarity.

Mike

Can this thread be made a sticky? A lot of people are going to benefit from it until the BBC break the streams again...

The brandy bottle empties

Bona !!

and bedankt

ronnie

Thank You!!!

Oh God, I cant express in words my thanks for these instructions - my listening world fell apart when the Listen Again links stopped working on my beloved Squeezeboxes; I'd managed to get the HLS fix working for live streams but the recent threads were too complex for my little brain to cope with, I was left thinking no more Listen Again until this thread appeared. Works like a charm, thank you thank you thank you....

Jerry

Many thanks for the fix to BBCiPlayer

Thanks for all the effort BPA in Ireland, and Castalla for consolidating the instructions. I just made the RTMP changes and for an old fart soon to turn 70, it was relatively easy.

For others perhaps they might note my experience; My BBC iPlayer is located in a folder called 'Squeezebox" not "Squeezeboxserver" and when deleting the cache I had two: cache.db-shm and cache.db-wal; both of which I deleted. To date, i.e. half an hour later I have all positives, with no negative outcomes.

Sincerest thanks,

Frank in Vancouver