Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Embedded CueSheet (EAC->Foodbar2000->LMS7.9)

I am having problems within LMS7.9 with embedded cuesheets created in foobar2000

Everything works very nicely but not with composer if the composer is different by track.
    It seems to me that foobar is using a workaround and creates some tags not stored in the embedded cue sheet.
    eg
    cue_track01_COMPOSER : Tschaikowsky
    cue_track04_COMPOSER : Scriabin

This info is not mapped to composer within LMS.

Has anybody any idea how to handle composer tags if differnet by track within embedded cuesheets?
    Can LMS be made compliant to foobar by config and code?
    Other solutions?
    I am happy to provide more details (as screenshots, files, etc)

Thanks.

I don't use embedded cue sheets but I do frequently use separate cue files.

The format I use for track composer is

Code:
          REM COMPOSER "Composer Name"
    Not sure whether that is relevant to your problem though.
    Last edited by JohnB; 2015-03-05 at 08:22.
    Touch, Meridian G92, Meridian G55, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    I don't use embedded cue sheets but I do frequently use separate cue files.

The format I use for track composer is

Code:
          REM COMPOSER "Composer Name"
    Not sure whether that is relevant to your problem though.
    I was quickly checking with foobar at album and track level. But composer is not getting imported when I just change the cue file.

2 questions:
    a) are you using composer at album or track level (different composer by track)?
    b) are you using a tool to maitain the cue files?

I've used the composer tag at both album and track levels.

Because the files I use cue sheets for are not derived from ripped CDs I create the cue sheets with a quick and dirty Excel macro that I wrote for the purpose. To maintain or edit the cue sheet files I manually edit them (using Notepad).

In the past I've only ever used Foobar as a player, but I've started playing with it, using it to extract cue files from multiple FLAC files and to convert wave to FLAC while embedding metadata from a cue file and I get the impression that Foobar has a problem with the Composer tag - it just doesn't seem to recognize it when extracting/embedding cue metadata. But perhaps I am doing something wrong.

If you are comfortable with using the command line you could always experiment with embedding the cue file into the associated FLAC file using metaflac.exe

metaflac --import-cuesheet-from="cue_filename" <flacfile.flac>

metaflac.exe and flac.exe can be downloaded from the FLAC website: https://xiph.org/flac/download.html

(You would need to specify the paths of course.)
    Last edited by JohnB; 2015-03-06 at 06:57.
    Touch, Meridian G92, Meridian G55, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Problem sovlved

I have solved my issue with composer!!

Instead of the composer tag I am using now the songwriter tag with the same info, as this tag is supported by cuesheet specs.
    And to my surprise, LMS is using songwriter like composer.
    In other words, LMS is mapping the tag songwriter to the role composer.
    =>> It's a really pitty that I do not find any documation about this mapping rules within LMS.

My process is as follows:

1 I do the CD ripping with EAC
    EAC creates a single FLAC file, the CUEsheet and album art work as a jpg.

2 I use foobar for
    2.1 deleting all tags as I do not get EAC to create no tags
    2.2 adding the art work
    2.3 importing and amending the CUEsheet (tags)
    2.4 calculating replay gain
    2.5 storing the single flac file into the destination folder.

3 Listening to LMS with multiple devices @home.

4 using foobar to create MP4 files by track for my smartphone.
    (the good thing is that foobar takes very good care for splitting, downsampling and all the tag info.

Well done for sorting out the problem.

It's a pity that Foobar doesn't seem to support the Composer tag.

Well. The problem is not with foobar.
    The problem is with LMS 7.9
    Therefore I am looking for a place to understand (and maintain ?!?) the mapping rules for embedded CueSheets within LMS 7.9

However, I found a workaround.
    For composer I create and maintain in foodbar the both tags in sync: composer and songwiter.

I did a lot of analysis and would be happy to share ....

Having difficulty understanding how LMS uses CUE sheets

Quote Originally Posted by schiff1108 View Post
    Well. The problem is not with foobar.
    The problem is with LMS 7.9
    Therefore I am looking for a place to understand (and maintain ?!?) the mapping rules for embedded CueSheets within LMS 7.9

However, I found a workaround.
    For composer I create and maintain in foodbar the both tags in sync: composer and songwiter.

I did a lot of analysis and would be happy to share ....
    I'd be very interested in your analysis. I'm trying to get my audiobooks into a format I can use on LMS and the technical part of it is working fairly well. But understanding what information LMS takes from file tags and what information it takes from the CUE sheet is baffling. And which one has priority if both the file and the CUE sheet have info? I tend to put my metadata in the files, but I need CUE sheets for the audiobooks because they would otherwise show up as one track (no chapter listings, for example), making it difficult to use. I know there are add-ons like "Bookmarks" that can help with this, but that's they don't always work as expected, so I want the CUE file to be the key to indexing the audio file. There are several keywords for CUE files/sheets that I've found, but I haven't yet found a definitive source that explains, for example, can you have 2 or more PERFORMER (or SONGWRITER) lines under one track (because there are 2 narrators for that track). Here's what I've found so far. Anyone who can help, please pitch in.

The Keywords for CUE files are; I've bolded the ones I'm trying to use. Note that PERFORMER, SONGWRITER and TITLE can be used "per disc" or per track. To use them "per disc" they are placed at the top of the file before the FILE keyword. Used this way, they apply to all tracks in the CUE file. To use them per track, they must come after TRACK but before INDEX keywords.

CATALOG – A 13-digit UPC/EAN code.
    CDTEXTFILE – A path to a file containing CD-Text info.
    FILE – A path to a file containing audio data, and to which subsequent commands apply.
    FLAGS – Per-track subcode flag(s).
    INDEX – Per-track index(es).
    ISRC – Per-track ISRC(s).
    PERFORMER Per-disc or per-track performer name for CD-Text data.
    POSTGAP – Amount of post-track silence to add.
    PREGAP – Amount of pre-track silence to add.
    REM – A remark/comment to be ignored.
    SONGWRITER Per-disc or per-track songwriter name for CD-Text data.
    TITLE Per-disc or per-track title for CD-Text data.
    TRACK – Type of track to create, and to which subsequent commands apply.

My primary question:
    Is there any guidance on how CUE files are used by LMS and which CUE keywords it respects, how they're mapped to standard music fields like Album Artist, Artist, Composer, etc. and whether it reads file metadata when a CUE file is present (it appears to, but without a LOT of experimentation, it's not clear which takes priority - CUE file data or audio file metadata).

TIA,
    David

PS: A typical CUE file I'm trying to use *unsuccessfully so far* is below:

SONGWRITER "Orson Scott Card" <--- seems to map to COMPOSER
    TITLE "Ender's Game - Special 20th Anniversary Edition" <--- not sure this is recognized; testing to see
    FILE "Ender's Game Special 20th Anniversary Edition.m4b" MP4 <--- works as relative reference properly
    TRACK 1 AUDIO <--- maps to track no. as expected
    TITLE "Introduction" <--- maps to title as expected
    . PERFORMER "Stefan Rudnicki" <--- seems to map to Album Artist (rather than Artist)
    . PERFORMER "Harlan Ellison" <--- not sure multiple lines are ignored or if LMS prioritizes file metadata over this info
    . PERFORMER "Gabrielle de Cuir"
    . INDEX 01 0:0:00
    TRACK 2 AUDIO
    . TITLE "Part 1"
    . PERFORMER "Stefan Rudnicki"
    . PERFORMER "Harlan Ellison"
    . PERFORMER "Gabrielle de Cuir"
    . INDEX 01 0:29:55
    ...[snip]...