Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    The point you can't seem to get through your head is that people are past caring about you.....
    No, I get that. I can't not get it. You and others, (by their words and actions), have made that crystal clear!

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    I think your best bet to let this topic pass away is to no longer post about it. It's like telling a troll to stop trolling. He'll always have the last word. Only when you ignore him he'll stop.
    Thank you for the advice, Michael.

formerly known as Fletch
    To me, the sad thing is that I wonder how many other potential third party projects or contributors are deterred by the mystery and uncertainty of all this. I suspect that the truth about all of this is much more mundane and narrowly defined than most people suspect. Without knowing that for sure, though, any future third party projects may be slowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miksis View Post
    To me, the sad thing is that I wonder how many other potential third party projects or contributors are deterred by the mystery and uncertainty of all this. I suspect that the truth about all of this is much more mundane and narrowly defined than most people suspect. Without knowing that for sure, though, any future third party projects may be slowed.
    I've dealt with this many times in many 25-years in senior positions for a couple of the worlds top computer companies. There really is nothing to be gained by speculating further here, the best thing is for those that want to pursue something real and related to the product owned by Logitech, is to contact them through their licensing, partner or legal team.

One project, an emulator of a specific piece of equipment, survives to this day 20-years later exactly because once the escalation and war of words started, it was clearly best for everyone to withdraw from public debate and settle the disagreement privately. As a result, a book I co-wrote had to be recalled, and a second issue published without an entire chapter. It was an interesting and stressful example of backdown tactics.

All the facebooks, twitters, fora, an interweb comments in the world won't solve this. There are potentially any number of legal issues to overcome before building a device capable of providing the same services as a Logitech Squeezebox, including copyright, trademark, patents etc.

Anyone involved in the original creation of the software and hardware products and services around these products can be subject to any number of restrictions. While we can speculate, if there are indeed legal holds in place in relation to discussion, any one that knows risks serious penalties if they give any real direction or answers.

Continuing to push for disclosure will likely end in "if want something really bad, thats how you get it, really bad" category....
    ---------------------------
    http://markcathcart.com/about

Running a ReadyNAS NVX LMS Server, currently 7.9.0; Transporter(Living Room)+Duet Controller; Squeezebox Touch(Master Bedroom), (2x)Boom(Office, Patio), Radio(Guest Bedroom), Classic(garage).
    Also using Squeezeplay on Windows 10. Use Squeeze Ctrl app on Android.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miksis View Post
    It has made me more careful of what I post in some threads in the forum. Mainly because I want to ensure to not make the legal problems worse for the people involved by saying something that make them violate a NDA they might have signed just because they are frustrated.

I think the important lesson for anyone that want to release a hardware product/DIY-kit in the future is to make sure to do it through a company instead of an unofficial community group or individual. Also, make sure to use a name and thread that isn't closely related to the old dead project.

I'm reasonably sure that Logitech isn't involved in any legal action related to the old dead project, so don't consider Logitech to be the bad guy regarding all this.

Skickat frňn min iPhone med Tapatalk
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    I think the important lesson for anyone that want to release a hardware product/DIY-kit in the future is to make sure to do it through a company instead of an unofficial community group or individual. Also, make sure to use a name and thread that isn't closely related to the old dead project.

I'm reasonably sure that Logitech isn't involved in any legal action related to the old dead project, so don't consider Logitech to be the bad guy regarding all this.
    More assumptions and speculation, just like those voiced by the previous poster.

How can you know "the important lesson" unless you know the issues that were (or weren't) dealt with? If you don't think Logitech was involved, then why would you think the name was an issue? That makes no sense.

More assumptions and speculation, just like those voiced by the previous poster.

How can you know "the important lesson" unless you know the issues that were (or weren't) dealt with? If you don't think Logitech was involved, then why would you think the name was an issue? That makes no sense.
    Common man, just let it go.
    The people involved who have asked to drop this discussion will have a very good reason. To continue nagging about it will not help and for sure you want get any further answers due to the reasons already mentioned several times by those involved.
    Move on and let it rest.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    Common man, just let it go.
    The people involved who have asked to drop this discussion will have a very good reason. To continue nagging about it will not help and for sure you want get any further answers due to the reasons already mentioned several times by those involved.
    Move on and let it rest.
    I'm not nagging anyone. I'd just like to think that the idea of a community Squeezebox player is still possible. And if not, I'd like to know why not. Speculative or not.

I don't give a damn if the guy with the supposed legal issues never posts again in these forums. That's his decision, but the "don't talk about it" angle is pure bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post

Skickat frňn min iPhone med Tapatalk
    Absent any actual information, one can only speculate. But if Logitech was not involved, then it would seem to be good PR for them to say so on this forum.

Guido F.
    Music Room:
    Marantz TT 15S1, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge>ART ADC>Vinyl Studio
    CISCO Router>DLink Bridge>Vortexbox Appliance/Squeezelite>SOtM Card>REGEN>Benchmark DAC2 D>Little Dot Mk 9 Preamp>DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core DRC/EQ/Preamp+CIA PS>Music Reference RM-200 Mk II amp> Martin Logan SL3 speakers
    REL T1 Sub
    Bedroom:
    Squeezebox Touch (analog out)>Little Dot Mk III amp>AKG K701 headphones
    Sony D100 amp>PSB alpha B1 speakers
    Treadmill:
    FiiO X3 Digital Music Player>AKG K550 headphones

I'd just like to think that the idea of a community Squeezebox player is still possible. And if not, I'd like to know why not. Speculative or not.
    A community based Squeezebox player is possible but it needs to be organized under a company or some individual needs to be prepare to risk legal actions as an individual (not recommended). We should respect the wishes of the leaders of the previous now dead project and make sure to use new threads and new project name for any new effort.

If anyone wants to do something and think they have the necessary skills, please send me a mail or PM and we can see if there is a potential to organize something. I don't want any mail/PM from people who just want the final product but doesn't have the necessary technical skills to do the work.
    Last edited by erland; 2015-02-11 at 14:05.
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

Quote Originally Posted by guidof View Post
    Absent any actual information, one can only speculate. But if Logitech was not involved, then it would seem to be good PR for them to say so on this forum.
    This is a community forum, there have never been much official posts from Logitech here, the most official posts you will see are those from mherger, who has already said that he don't think Logitech is involved.

If you want me to speculate, the reason to not use the name of the old dead project is just to avoid further legal actions towards the previous members of that project, but this is just speculation.
    Last edited by erland; 2015-02-11 at 14:05.