Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by celo View Post
    I have been using SBT for few years and have no issues. I use it strictly as a streamer since I have an external DAC. LMS is running via RPi3.

I just came across a used Aires Mini with Sbooster. I will pay double what I paid for the SBT and if I sell my SBT, my cost will be around $300 just getting the Aries Mini.

Is it worth it?
    short answer. no. Keep the SB Touch.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    short answer. no. Keep the SB Touch.
    Thanks Gary.

Let me ask this. Last night my wife and I did a blind test running the SBT via power bank and stock AC adapter.

Both times we liked the AC adapter better. Everything was more open and real sounding vs. the battery power. Then I thought, maybe an AC adapter update would make things better. Such as Sbooster or something similar. What do you think about that? Thanks.

Thanks Gary.

Let me ask this. Last night my wife and I did a blind test running the SBT via power bank and stock AC adapter.

Both times we liked the AC adapter better. Everything was more open and real sounding vs. the battery power. Then I thought, maybe an AC adapter update would make things better. Such as Sbooster or something similar. What do you think about that? Thanks.
    You're asking the wrong person. I believe in science and engineering and facts. things like Sbooster are audiophool nonsense. the only thing they do better is separate you from your money. There's all kinds of technical reasons that a linear power supply won't improve the Touch, and there are hundreds of posts on some old threads here on that. But short answer is: use the Touch with the supplied AC power brick and enjoy the music!

edit: if you want to improve your sound, get better speakers, place the speakers properly, or do other "room treatments". These things can matter. Not power cords or audio cables. (that is, unless something is broken....but if it's broken, it won't be subtle sound quality differences).
    Last edited by garym; 2017-08-11 at 14:27.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    You're asking the wrong person. I believe in science and engineering and facts. things like Sbooster are audiophool nonsense. the only thing they do better is separate you from your money. There's all kinds of technical reasons that a linear power supply won't improve the Touch, and there are hundreds of posts on some old threads here on that. But short answer is: use the Touch with the supplied AC power brick and enjoy the music!

edit: if you want to improve your sound, get better speakers, place the speakers properly, or do other "room treatments". These things can matter. Not power cords or audio cables. (that is, unless something is broken....but if it's broken, it won't be subtle sound quality differences).
    I hear ya! Point well taken. Thank you

Comically Fumbled Squeezebox Replacement Thread - Would you be interested?

Hm... while I actually agree on the Sbooster and for the life of me I would not let that device near any of my power outlets (having once seen the interior of one, that device was seriously dangerous)... and no, I also don’t believe linear power supplies improve anything ...
    But the power supply that comes with the Touch also can suck big time.
    I replaced two of them (against stock switching power supplies) because they were too noisy.
    Not in the sense that that have a noisy power output or something but LITERALLY noisy. They wheeze. I could still hear them two rooms away.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Hm... while I actually agree on the Sbooster and for the life of me I would not let that device near any of my power outlets (having once seen the interior of one, that device was seriously dangerous)... and no, I also don’t believe linear power supplies improve anything ...
    But the power supply that comes with the Touch also can suck big time.
    I replaced two of them (against stock switching power supplies) because they were too noisy.
    Not in the sense that that have a noisy power output or something but LITERALLY noisy. They wheeze. I could still hear them two rooms away.
    interesting. I haven't heard any noise from the two Touch power supplies I use. But I can certainly see how that would be annoying. I suspect these touch power supplies are all sourced from different manufacturers, so who knows....

Mine were pretty early ones and Logitech was well aware of the problem (during the beta I sent another one back and the replacements were originally more silent and only later developed the noise).
    I‘m not sure whether i remember this correctly but the problem might also have been specific to 220V/50Hz
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Mine were pretty early ones and Logitech was well aware of the problem (during the beta I sent another one back and the replacements were originally more silent and only later developed the noise).
    I‘m not sure whether i remember this correctly but the problem might also have been specific to 220V/50Hz
    mine are all in US...110V

Blind test, but not double blind? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clever_Hans
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953