Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Finished the RPI streamer for another friend.
    This one has an internal power supply and is fitted with an SPDIF hat. Initially I planned on using the Hifiberry Digi+ but it doesn't work well with the display. The PCB sits over the display connecter and so obstructing the display cable. The Hifiberry "clone" does not have that issue. The clone also has a better supply filtering on board.
    The streamer also has a 12 volts trigger input so that it is automatically powered on when the preamp is switched on.
    Below are some pictures of the streamer:

Name:  IMG_0903.JPG
Views: 1032
Size:  119.3 KBName:  IMG_0904.JPG
Views: 1028
Size:  107.4 KB
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Looking nice. Which hifiberry one did you use?
    SqueezeBoxes: 2x SB2 (Living room and study), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Bedroom)
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, D-Link Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    Looking nice. Which hifiberry one did you use?
    Thanks!
    I didn't use the Hifiberry beacsue it doesn't alow the display connecter to be fitted on the RPI.
    I used the PiFi HIFI DiGi+ instead. It is cheaper and I find it better constructed than the Hifiberry Digi+.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Berlin BoomBox with Pi 3 and PCP 3.2

I have to say, I love this one. Ok it doesn't sound so great but it is, IMHO, the very definition of cheap and cheerful.
    Name:  berlinboombox - 1.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  227.3 KB
    Name:  berlinboombox - 2.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  207.9 KB
    Integration is very basic:
    - The original power cable was extended with a Y cable powering both the amp and the Pi. Ground hum is tolerable, YMMV
    - The amp has auto shut-off, that's a nice thought when powering the box with batteries but it is a bit adverse in my case. I soldered a cable to a reset pad on the amp board and flip-flop a gpio output pin to wake the amp when needed. Squeezelite does that on power up, for example.
    - The Pi 3 is sort of a tight fit in there. I did away with the bottom of the battery compartment and mounted the Pi flush to the battery cover flap to expose its ports.

And PCP does the rest, as usual
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

cheap and cheerful

I can do cheap and cheerful!

Kitchen radio, based on Raspberry Pi Zero W and ES9023 DAC sourced from ebay.
    Software is piCorePlayer, slimmer and LIRC.

Name:  IMG_4760.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  228.1 KBName:  IMG_4761.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  237.8 KBName:  IMG_4764.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  223.6 KBName:  IMG_4765.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  232.4 KBName:  IMG_4767.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  227.5 KB

Pi Case

A case that I cut out of a 2.5" thick block of wood using my CNC. This is v2 which took just over 5 minutes total to cut.

Using Official 7" display, Pi 2, HiFiBerry Amp+ and a couple of 2.5" speakers.

Name:  IMG_5368.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  232.3 KB
    LMS 7.9.0 -> QNAP TVS-871 Raid 5, Slimdevices Silver Transporter, 1 * SB Touch, 2 * SB Duets, 2 * SB Boom, 1 * SB Radio, 1 * Wandboard Quad, (1 dead SB Classic), 2* Pi 3 + HiFiBerry-Amp+ Official Touchscreen + PiCorePlayer

My pi PAL

Hi; have a look at my "pi PAL".
    Its a Tivoli PAL, which I upgraded with a Pi Zero W running the awesome piCorePlayer.
    I wanted to have a very basic system with low energy consumption, so it is headless (-> use Smartphone as remote).
    Also, I use no external DAC, but simple PWM Audio similar as on the Pi3. That is good enough for a desktop radio.
    The power for the Pi is diverted from the PAL's internal batterypack, soldering an additional cable at the 4th battery (4.8V), which feeds the Pi +5V input.
    Another nice feature: No additional switches etc. needed to be added to the PAL - just a hole in the back of the case to feed the audio cable from the pi to the Aux input of the PAL. Sticking that cable in the jack does 2 things: The PALs Amp is switched from Radio to Aux (-> the Pi). And the Pi is powering up, as this cable is also the (only) ground connection to the Pi! A nice feature of the piCorePlayer s/w is that it runs completely in RAM, so you can pull that plug (i.e. switching from Pi Audio to Radio and powering the Pi down) w/o risk of SD card corruption.
    I am very happy with this setup. Also, battery live is pretty ggod: It is running almost a day already!
    See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...-and-Pi-Zero-W for some hurdles I had to go through to get it running.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Heiner
    My system:
    LMS 7.9 on modded Open Peak Joggler running Roobarbs SqueezePlay OS.
    1 x Slimp3
    5 x Squeezebox Classic
    1 x Controller
    2 x Squeeze Commander (on 2 rooted Nook Touch e-reader)
    X x Squeezeplay & Jivelites on various PC's & Laptops

Nice Job!

Quote Originally Posted by ElFishi View Post
    I can do cheap and cheerful!

Kitchen radio, based on Raspberry Pi Zero W and ES9023 DAC sourced from ebay.
    Software is piCorePlayer, slimmer and LIRC.

Name:  IMG_4760.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  228.1 KBName:  IMG_4761.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  237.8 KBName:  IMG_4764.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  223.6 KBName:  IMG_4765.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  232.4 KBName:  IMG_4767.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  227.5 KB
    Parts list? Please?

Thanks!

Duh,

glad you like it, but that is literally the parts list...

The rest is "standard" or came from the parts box.

• Raspberry Pi Zero W
    • "Audiophonics DAC Sabre ES9023 I2S vers Analogique 24bit/192KHZ Raspberry PI" (search this in ebay)
    • "2004 LCD blue Display for Arduino HD44780" (again, this should produce a useful result in ebay)
    • EC11 Rotary Encoder
    • DIP4 push buttons
    • bunch of 10k pull-up resistors
    • IR Receiver 38 kHz TSOP4838
    • the driver for the display background lighting is a BC546B with a 10k base resistor, any transistor will do the job
    • 10k trimpot for the contrast
    • since the pics were taken I added a 2200uF Panasonic FM cap across the power input under the DAC board
    • the box came with cotton swabs
    • the perspex is 3mm. My hardware store cuts them to measure as small as 10cm, 40ct a pop.
    • all bolts and nuts M3

Any questions just ask.
    Last edited by ElFishi; 2017-09-02 at 11:57. Reason: forgot trimpot

My roberts Pi radio... Beats your usual bluetooth boombox.

30-40 hours battery, charges via old line out.

Runs Volumio with squeezelite, spotify-web-connect and airplay.

Working analog ALPS volume pot, with push on / off power.

Working buttons:
    1. Swap between wifi between access point mode (to stream from phone to when no wifi network connection near) and client mode (to use on a network)
    2. Radio station up
    3. Radio station down

The radio frequency knob not currently integrated, thinking about adding a digital rotary encoder to it.

Hardware
    2x BMR 2x 20w speakers
    1x 3w class D pam 8403 amp
    1x RPi B+
    1x Iqaudio PiDac+
    1x edimax wifi
    1x mausberry power switch
    1x big battery aukey 20000mah
    1x Roberts R404

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk