Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Very cool! Been thinking of doing something similar for portable use - already have one rpi inside a 1950's tube radio.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Looking forward to see the details of these:-

https://www.hifiberry.com/beocreate
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezePlayer,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: 7.9.1 - 1503129892 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud
    Remotes: iPeng8/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite
    Music: 383GB,1269 albums 17756 songs 4381 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    Finished the RPI streamer for another friend.
    This one has an internal power supply and is fitted with an SPDIF hat. Initially I planned on using the Hifiberry Digi+ but it doesn't work well with the display. The PCB sits over the display connecter and so obstructing the display cable. The Hifiberry "clone" does not have that issue. The clone also has a better supply filtering on board.
    The streamer also has a 12 volts trigger input so that it is automatically powered on when the preamp is switched on.
    Below are some pictures of the streamer:

Attachment 23031Attachment 23032
    OK - now I am inspired to clone your work ! I am planning to build in a power supply as well, but will use a Hammond toroidal transformer and a linear dual regulator like this one. This will enable me to separate the power for the Pi and the DAC (I have an Allo Boss). Also planning a combo switch/filter/fuse power input module.

A couple of questions:
    - does this version use the same Hammond box as your previous ones - just not chopped as much? Looks like it is a lot deeper and I will need the extra room.
    - Looks like you used a longer-than-standard display cable - where did you get that?

Thanks for a great design!

Wiring for high-power PSU

Some people like me want to give their amp some punch on the cheap and use enclosed PSUs. I thought I'd share about my way of doing this.
    The general design is the same as this one: Pi 3, Justboom AMP Hat, 75W PSU, metal box.

This enclosure happens to look just vile, sorry for that...
    Name:  paris_kitsch-1.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  231.3 KB

There is as little material as possible inside the box, both in quantity and variety. The cables are of the high-temperature, low-smoke type. Ground wires are 2.5mm2, AC wires 1.5mm2, DC wires 0.75mm2. They are oversized considering high ambient temperature. Ground cables must be the last ones to melt, go fat and short. Audio cables are 1.5mm2, same type.
    Name:  paris_kitsch-2.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  248.9 KB

Accidental access to mains voltage can kill. I use a grounded alu shield to completely enclose the area. Also note the removable cover is grounded to the case. If the case is anodised, grind it to ensure bare metal contact at ground points. Ensure you have continuity between the earth pin of the power inlet and any part of the box: cover, case, chassis, shield, psu enclosure... everything. (And, no, earthing does not "kill wifi".)
    Also, if you do a bit of cutting/grinding, make sure the inside of the case is clean and dust-free. You don't want a speck of metal to detach, land somewhere and cause a short-circuit.
    Name:  paris_kitsch-3.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  247.3 KB

Use a 3-pin power inlet with earth and AC fuse. Dimension your fuse according to the manufacturer's PSU input specifications and the expected power draw. If you can't find the specifications and tests sheet for your PSU... get another one.
    Here you see a 250V/1.25A normal blow fuse. 1.25A is probably a bit large, even considering temperature derating. Also note the insulating adhesive feet under the case.
    Name:  paris_kitsch-4.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  152.5 KB

I hope this design is less unsafe than some I see floating around the Internet. And please chime in if you see an issue with it.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

In a nicer looking vintage biscuit box. Sorry again for the eyesore above...
    Name:  25b-IMG_1582.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  205.7 KB
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.