Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    Inspired by the RaspTouch project I decide to prototype a similar case for one of my RPI's. I have been toying with a similar construction for quite some time but my mind couldn't agree on a solution to fix the display. The above project shed some new light on that; solutions are sometimes so very simply that they get overlooked

This is the current state of the prototype:

Attachment 20791

Attachment 20792

Attachment 20793

The display is angled at 10 degrees. I used a Hammond Enclosure I had used for another project. The enclosure has been cut to fit the desired dimensions (and angle).
    There is still room besides the RPI to install an SPDIF hat. I re-used a part of the bezel of the original RPI display stand.
    The display is now actually mounted upside down but it is rotated in the configuration. By rotating the display I finally could address the "fixing issue" I had. The flat cable is not sitting on the bottom side of the enclosure; this is way it is hidden.

All connectors are now available at the back side of the enclosure. This has been my main concern with the display cases currently on the market.
    Hi Pascal,

This is just fanstastic! It looks great. Now I really want it as well

I am so tempted to get a new display (I have got the first model with no brightness control) and build such a nice system with one of my spare RPis!

Arie,

BTW your VU meter was the main reason to purchase the display Excellent job!

PS. Pascal, just out of curiosity which sort of DIY tool did you use to cut the case?
    Last edited by albertone74; 2016-08-18 at 01:41.

Quote Originally Posted by albertone74 View Post
    Hi Pascal,

This is just fanstastic! It looks great. Now I really want it as well

I am so tempted to get a new display (I have got the first model with no brightness control) and build such a nice system with one of my spare RPis!

Arie,

BTW your VU meter was the main reason to purchase the display Excellent job!

PS. Pascal, just out of curiosity which sort of DIY tool did you use to cut the case?
    Thank you Alberto!
    I used a tenon-saw like this one:

I have a blade to cut aluminium.
    The angle is about 10 degrees.

Since a couple of weeks I have an spdif board fitted as well. I now need to finish the back panel. I'll post some pics when I get the chance.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Thank you Alberto!
    I used a tenon-saw like this one:

I have a blade to cut aluminium.
    The angle is about 10 degrees.

Since a couple of weeks I have an spdif board fitted as well. I now need to finish the back panel. I'll post some pics when I get the chance.
    Great, thanks for sharing Pascal. And very much looking forward to seeing more pictures!

I've build another one for a friend. This time I used a black Hammond enclosure and used a 15 degree angle on the display (instead of 10 degrees). I like this one better...

Name:  2016-11-10 20.15.18 - small.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  196.7 KB

And this is the back side. This player is fitted with an IQaudio analog DAC.

Name:  2016-11-10 20.21.07 - small.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  107.0 KB

The black smudges around the the USB and Ethernet connectors is cause by a black marker. I wanted to hide the aluminium color by coloring them black but the paper (used for the back panel) sucked up some of the marker's ink. It's a pity this happend... but otherwise happy with the result.

EDIT: below a picture of the guts:

Name:  2016-11-06 20.10.08 - small.jpg
Size:  134.8 KB
    Last edited by Pascal Hibon; 2016-12-18 at 09:25.

I've build another one for a friend. This time I used a black Hammond enclosure and used a 15 degree angle on the display (instead of 10 degrees). I like this one better...

And this is the back side. This player is fitted with an IQaudio analog DAC.

Name:  2016-11-10 20.21.07 - small.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  107.0 KB

The black smudges around the the USB and Ethernet connectors is cause by a black marker. I wanted to hide the aluminium color by coloring them black but the paper (used for the back panel) sucked up some of the marker's ink. It's a pity this happend... but otherwise happy with the result.

EDIT: below a picture of the guts:

Name:  2016-11-06 20.10.08 - small.jpg
Size:  134.8 KB
    Hi Pascal,

That looks great. Very nice and neat job! I love it!

This is what I have done so far...

It's the official 7 inch display case, RPi3 and a DigiAmp+ board from IQAudio. It's a tight squeeze and I had to cut away one of the back panel mounting lugs and make a cut away for the power plug. I also squeezed 2 speaker connections in . I need to tidy the cables up as this is a prototype. It seems to work ok and doesn't overheat but time will tell if it's reliable. Just need to find some means of fitting a lid of some kind on the back to make it complete.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.8.0 - 1395395852 @ Fri Apr 18 13:29:51 EDT 2014
    Operating system: Vortexbox 2.3 (Fedora20 Heisenbug)
    Squeezebox Touch: Firmware: 7.7.1-r9561
    Squeezeplay 7.5.3 - r0
    Squeezeslave
    2 x RPI3 piCorePlayer 3.01

RPI 3 + Alesis M1 Active320 USB Speaker

Here my son config :

RPI 3 - $50
    Smarticase Pi 7" Touchscreen Display - LEGO - $28
    Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Display - $70
    Vishay Tsop4838 Ir Receiver, 38Khz - $2

Alesis M1 Active320 Professional USB Audio Speaker System - $80

total $230

Reusing a SB3 remote !

Name:  IMG_1463.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  242.1 KB

Nicely done!!!

Now that I have paid homage to the form, finish, and craftsmanship of your efforts, how would you feel about posting a parts list so others might also build one in tribute to all your wonderful and hard work?
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    Nicely done!!!

Now that I have paid homage to the form, finish, and craftsmanship of your efforts, how would you feel about posting a parts list so others might also build one in tribute to all your wonderful and hard work?
    Thanks ! you got me blushing now

These are the parts used:

Enclosure:
    Hammond Enclosure 1455T2201BK

Dac / hats:
    HiFi Berry DIGI+ clone for an SPDIF interface. It is cheaper that the HiFi Berry and includes a IR sensor.

The one I built for a friend has analog output:
    Pi-DAC+

Display:
    Official PRI 7" display
    I also used the black frame

Power supply:
    Mean Well 5 volt / 3 A

Connectors:
    DC Connector
    RCA connectors in case of a analog DAC.

Additionally there are some mechanical parts (aluminium to fix the display to the enclosure). I will have to build another one fro another friend. I'll take some pictures and post them when I build it.

Additionally there are some mechanical parts (aluminium to fix the display to the enclosure). I will have to build another one fro another friend. I'll take some pictures and post them when I build it.
    Today I started building another streamer for another friend. This one will use the same Hammond enclosure but the display will be mounted straight (because the streamer will sit on a high shelf in his audio rack). This time I used a larger 2 mm aluminium plate so that the display is fixed with its 4 mounting screws. The same plate could be used in an angled setup.

Name:  Display_plate.JPG
Views: 411
Size:  100.0 KB

I'm still waiting for a few parts to arrive to complete the entire build. But I will post pics again when finished. This one will have a power supply inside and have a trigger control so that the streamer is automatically powered when the pre-amp switches on.