Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    I am still lost in my 70's music but here are a few new releases I bought in 2017 that are quite good

Deeper Understanding --War on Drugs
    Slowdive --Slowdive
    Here on Earth--Jenny Scheinman
    If It's Alright With You-Songs of Gene MacLellan--Catherine MacLellan
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1513400996 @ Sat Dec 16 06:26:04 UTC 2017
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Classic connected by Ethernet to FX Audio D802C amp and Sinclair bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Nashville Sound
    Whitehorse - Panther in the Dollhouse
    Iron & Wine - Beast Epic
    Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie - Self Titled

To me it was a good year. Not often anymore that entire albums are enjoyable which I found to be the case with these 4.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

Name:  june feist bibb whitehorse.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  scheinman washburn_fleck giddens halvorson.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  44.0 KB

I've not acquired as much new music this year as in the past, but a few records have impinged my musical consciousness. In no particular order:

The Order of Time by Valerie June inhabits a new kind of territory among blues, r&b and mountain music; her wonderful voice and phrasing brings these songs wonderfully to life.

Feist's new album Pleasure is a long way from 1234, but for me is probably her most compelling, maybe her best, yet.

Eric Bibb's Migration Blues addresses one of the important features of the modern world, with a look towards both the past and future. Wonderfully supported by JJ Milteau on harmonica and Michael Jerome Browne on guitar.

Are they retro rockers or millenial posers? I don't know and don't care, I just know that Whitehorse makes really excellent rock and role, and their new album Panther In The Dollhouse is a pleasure.

Jenny Scheinman's Here On Earth is the soundtrack to a documentary about the Piedomont regions of North Carolina in the 30s and 40s. As you might expect, it tilts a bit toward bluegrass, but is so much more. Scheinman's jazz violin stars, and she's ably supported by folks like Bill Frisell.

One of my favorite moments of my live-music year was seeing Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn live in Toronto, and their newest album Echo In The Valley continues my infatuation. These are two banjo experts who can play jazz to mountain and everything in-between. Washburn's claw-hammer chops are almost a match for Fleck and his picks, and that is saying a very great deal. Outstanding.

Rhiannon Giddens continued her tour-de-force sequence with an outstanding new album, delivered with her typical big and robust voice which nonetheless can effortlessly create intimacy. She has had a background in historical black music (via the Carolina Chocolate Drops), as well as in Irish/Scottish music (she speaks Gaelic), and is steeped in traditional American folk and "protest" music. It all comes together seamlessly.

I've been working on liking Mary Halvorson, and although I've only had one listen I think her new album in Quartet form, Paimon, might do the trick. The compositions are by John Zorn and his writing style is a bit warmer than Mary's has been. I think this one's a keeper.

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2017-12-31 at 11:32.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)