Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    For me, just one 2014 album stands out as exceptional: Cleopatra by Kayak.

Unfortunately their two lead singers have now left the band, so this is the last Kayak album featuring Cindy Oudshoorn - a spectacularly good singer (and an amazing stage presence, too).
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    For me, just one 2014 album stands out as exceptional: Cleopatra by Kayak.

Unfortunately their two lead singers have now left the band, so this is the last Kayak album featuring Cindy Oudshoorn - a spectacularly good singer (and an amazing stage presence, too).
    I only just discovered Kayak last year. A truly exceptional catalog of prog rock, but their line-up has gone through quite a few changes from the original band in the '70s to the reformed one in the '00s.
    Home: Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS 7.9.0 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic -> NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2
    Portable: FreeNAS 9.3 [HP Microserver Gen8, 10GB RAM, 16GB flash boot, 120GB SSD for LMS 7.9.0 in FreeBSD jail, 5 x 4TB WD Red HD ZFS RAIDZ1] -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic: XLR out -> Soundmaster Diamond 12-2 mixing board -> P.A.

Quote Originally Posted by get.amped View Post
    I only just discovered Kayak last year. A truly exceptional catalog of prog rock, but their line-up has gone through quite a few changes from the original band in the '70s to the reformed one in the '00s.
    Kayak went up a gear when Cindy Oudshoorn joined around 2005. She's an amazing singer - to me her voice sounds like a rock'n'roll version of Streisand. Unfortunately she left at the end of 2014.

For anyone interested in sampling Kayak and who likes prog rock, I'd avoid the middle-period stuff from 1976-1980, as they went through a fairly pop-based phase then (although there are a few good songs to be found in there).

Their first two albums "See See the Sun" and "Kayak" are great.

All the modern era stuff since 2000 is good, including three outstanding rock operas which IMHO are the pinnacle of their work ("Merlin - Bard of the Unseen", "Nostradamus - The Fate of Man", and "Cleopatra - The Crown of Isis"). Note that these are sort of prog-musical theatre in style.

Of the remaining "normal" albums, I reckon "Coming up for Air" is probably their best.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    Here is my list for 2014, with Ben Howard's "I Forget Where We Were" as my nominee for the Album Of The Year title.
    Finaly got me this one and it is indeed damn good stuff but the Damien Rice i still prefer.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Finaly got me this one and it is indeed damn good stuff but the Damien Rice i still prefer.
    For me it's the other way round: I now bought Damien Rice and I really like it, but still prefer Ben Howard.

Actually, I've already bought several other CDs based on recommendations here. Guess the best discovery for me up to now was Beck's Morning Phase. But I still have to checkout a lot of the stuff mentioned here.

Cleopatra by Kayak really awesome

My top three

I bought nearly 60 2014 releases, here are my top three for the year.

Ought - More Than Any Other Day I'm enjoying this as much as I did Talking Heads '77 and Television's Marquee Moon...and they are obvious influences here. Stand out track: More Than Any Other Day

D'Angelo and The Vanguard - Black Messiah I may only understand 10% of the words he is singing, but I believe this record will end up an R&B classic. Stand out track: Betray My Heart

Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots Blur front man has worked on many side projects but this is his first solo effort. Like Beck's release this year it's a quiet one, but it grows on you. Stand out track: Everyday Robots
    Location 1: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 4TB > LMS 7.9.0 > 2 Touch, 1 Duet
    Controller: Nexus 7 >Orange Squeeze
    Music: Ripping (FLAC) dbpoweramp, Tagging: mp3tag

2015 is nearly over, so it's time for an update on this topic.

I've looked over my list of albums for 2015 - I've got 100 with this year's release date - and here are my top ten with Steven Wilson's album on top:

Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.
    Calexico - Edge of the Sun
    Passport - En Route
    Eric Clapton - Slowhand At 70 - Live At The Royal Albert Hall
    Eric Clapton - Forever Man
    Ida Sand - Young At Heart
    Wolfgang Haffner - Kind Of Cool
    Nils Frahm - Solo
    Florence + the Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
    David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock

Mark Knopfler - Tracker
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

Second the Nils Frahm "Solo"!

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    2015 is nearly over, so it's time for an update on this topic.

Nils Frahm - Solo
    Second this! I like all of his work and this was no exception!