Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    • May 2008

Originally posted by ScottChapman
    We did notice that when the boom is having difficulty connecting that it is really really sluggish. I assume that is just expected and not an indication of something else?
    I always found that sluggishness in a boom or SB3 was related to a bad wifi connection (low strength or interference)
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• get.amped
      • Feb 2007

Then a bridge wouldn't help much either right?
      RFI tends to be fairly localized. Proximity to the source matters. It's entirely possible that the new TV is the issue (it's probably wifi-enabled) and may be leaking other RFI, even when it's "off" since most of our electronics are never really off any more. The bridge could help by being located just a few feet away. You can do some testing with the Boom by moving it to other locations in the space that would be appropriate for setting up the bridge. If you find that works it works properly when it's 3' back and 1' to the left, great! That's where the bridge goes. At that point you don't even need a fancy dual band router with WDS. A cheap (under $20) TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router would probably work just fine.
      Home: Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS 7.9.0 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic -> NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2
      Portable: FreeNAS 9.3 [HP Microserver Gen8, 10GB RAM, 16GB flash boot, 120GB SSD for LMS 7.9.0 in FreeBSD jail, 5 x 4TB WD Red HD ZFS RAIDZ1] -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic: XLR out -> Soundmaster Diamond 12-2 mixing board -> P.A.

Comment

• ScottChapman
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by get.amped
        RFI tends to be fairly localized. Proximity to the source matters. It's entirely possible that the new TV is the issue (it's probably wifi-enabled) and may be leaking other RFI, even when it's "off" since most of our electronics are never really off any more. The bridge could help by being located just a few feet away. You can do some testing with the Boom by moving it to other locations in the space that would be appropriate for setting up the bridge. If you find that works it works properly when it's 3' back and 1' to the left, great! That's where the bridge goes. At that point you don't even need a fancy dual band router with WDS. A cheap (under $20) TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router would probably work just fine.
        I *think* I had tested it wirelessly right next to his router, but it was still just on the otherwise of the wall of the TV. Honestly, it is a bit of a crap shoot (which reminds me I need to look up the etymology of "crap shoot") sometimes it can run for up to an hour, and sometimes it fails all the time. I know a couple of times the failure coincided with a phone call (though they are using nice new 6.0 DECT phones).

If it works wired, I may just go with a EoP solution...

Comment

• bpa
          • Oct 2005

I know between his airport extreme and the boom and radio is a nice new fancy samsung smart TV. And the boom sits right in front of i
          Rarely do people just have a TV on it own. Is there also a DVD player or, a set top box for cable / satellite or even a games console. All these will have RFI, power adaptor and possibly wifi. Also the TV has a lot of metal which acts as a RF shield (as TV internal electronic have to be protected from leaking out too much RFI ) If TV is against a wall perhaps wall is also reducing signal.

Move Boom to the side which would be more in line with the router or perhaps put it on top using a soundbar shelf attached to TV.

Comment

• get.amped
            • Feb 2007

I *think* I had tested it wirelessly right next to his router, but it was still just on the otherwise of the wall of the TV. Honestly, it is a bit of a crap shoot (which reminds me I need to look up the etymology of "crap shoot") sometimes it can run for up to an hour, and sometimes it fails all the time. I know a couple of times the failure coincided with a phone call (though they are using nice new 6.0 DECT phones).

If it works wired, I may just go with a EoP solution...
            Pretty sure (without actually googling it) that "crap shoot" refers to throwing dice.

EoP is feasible as long as both power outlets are on the same leg of the mains. In the US anyway, most modern service consists of two 120V legs with 110V circuits on one or the other of them and 240V (for a dryer or electric stove) across both of them. EoP works fine crossing circuits on the same 110V leg but not for circuits on different legs.
            Home: Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS 7.9.0 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic -> NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2
            Portable: FreeNAS 9.3 [HP Microserver Gen8, 10GB RAM, 16GB flash boot, 120GB SSD for LMS 7.9.0 in FreeBSD jail, 5 x 4TB WD Red HD ZFS RAIDZ1] -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic: XLR out -> Soundmaster Diamond 12-2 mixing board -> P.A.

Comment

• garym
              • May 2008

I had failures/disconnects when actually using a nearby wireless phone (with base very near router). But I *solved* the problem by moving to a DECT 6.0 phone. Base is still next to router, but phone use doesn't cause an issue with the DECT 6.0. Then again, all routers are not the same, so.....

p.s. I assume a crap shoot comes from playing dice (shooting craps) and the randomness of the dice throw. ?????
              Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
              Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
              Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
              The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
              Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
              Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• ScottChapman
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by garym
                p.s. I assume a crap shoot comes from playing dice (shooting craps) and the randomness of the dice throw. ?????
                Yea, I was sort of hoping for more of a skeet shooting theme...

Like I tried to say above, I did move the boom to right next to the wifi router in the same room. On the other side of the wall (in the other room) were the TV, DVD, TV cablebox, etc.

Comment

Working...